Thread: New Mermaid Magazine!

Post New Mermaid Magazine!

There's a new mermaid magazine that came out recently and im pretty excited for a new magazine!

Fins magazine is a magazine for the community centered around content for mermaid enthusiasts to enjoy. Whats great about it is how open this magazine is to everyone. if you want to see something, they want to hear it and get you the content you want. It's also not just the same trending mers over and over or the same tails. There's a lot more diversity.

I am an ambassador so i wanted to take the opportunity to ask what you want to see in the magazine? what issues or questions do you have? what tips do you want or what interviews do you want to see? product reviews? mermaid short stories?
    lets hear it!

you can get access to the magazine at MagCloud https://www.magcloud.com/browse/magazine/1667138
    you can get updates by searching on their social media fins magazine on both insta and facebook
    come find Mermaid-Odette on facebook!
    my website is here
    instagram

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/KahWlYkRbiGo8" width="480" height="360" frameborder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>via GIPHY

Oh wow thats great! I actually was doing a bit of research a few weeks ago to see about starting my own Mermaiding Magazine but it is a ton of work so I am glad there was already something in the works!

In terms of things I'd like to see...I'm just gonna spitball a ton of ideas I had - obviously tail and fin reviews and the like, but a shoutout to the social media of a lesser known mermaid in each issue would be super cool. I'd also love to see things on underwater photography and videography and equipment options and comparisons. Also sections maybe like a 'fish of the week' (or however often issues are released) that teaches all about a new fish or mammal species each issue. I'd also love to see articles on historical and fictional mermaids, maybe on mer lore and delve into where when and why merfolk came to be. Discussing things like taking care of your hair and eyes when you swim in chlorinated pools a lot, obviously best ways to care for tails. It would be cool to have like a download to a pattern for a tail bag! I'd also love to see more corroboration with the SCUBA world and freediving communities so it would be super cool to get interviews with people in those fields and to see how they can benefit eachother. Obviously discussing conservation issues and ways we can help reduce our carbon footprint, I'd love to see articles about the zero-waste movement and easy small ways we can all do our part to help.

Um...ok I think that is all for now :P

And on a side note, how did you become an ambassador? And are they looking for writers at all? I'd really love to be a part of this in any way I can! And I might make a small suggestion after reading the sample for issue one that by calling it the 'mermaiding community' is is pretty exclusionary to the male and NB merfolk in our community. That is why I personally call it tailswimming whenever possible.
    The Magical Mystical MerFanc
    A Welsh Lake Monster with control of weather, water and water creatures.
    Resident sea monster, best friend of sharks and ducks, lover of the Deep Ocean.
    Known on all other social media as theAfanc

Senior Member Pod of Cali Saelyyia's Avatar
    Follow Saelyyia On Twitter Add Saelyyia on Facebook
    Follow Saelyyia on Tumblr
    I ordered physical copies of all 3 issues so I can share em with folks, but I'll let you know if I have any suggestions after I have had time to look over them. I think a community based magazine for the mermaiding world is a great concept.

Sometimes Life Just Needs a Bit of Magic

Quote Originally Posted by theMerFanc View Post
    Oh wow thats great! I actually was doing a bit of research a few weeks ago to see about starting my own Mermaiding Magazine but it is a ton of work so I am glad there was already something in the works!

In terms of things I'd like to see...I'm just gonna spitball a ton of ideas I had - obviously tail and fin reviews and the like, but a shoutout to the social media of a lesser known mermaid in each issue would be super cool. I'd also love to see things on underwater photography and videography and equipment options and comparisons. Also sections maybe like a 'fish of the week' (or however often issues are released) that teaches all about a new fish or mammal species each issue. I'd also love to see articles on historical and fictional mermaids, maybe on mer lore and delve into where when and why merfolk came to be. Discussing things like taking care of your hair and eyes when you swim in chlorinated pools a lot, obviously best ways to care for tails. It would be cool to have like a download to a pattern for a tail bag! I'd also love to see more corroboration with the SCUBA world and freediving communities so it would be super cool to get interviews with people in those fields and to see how they can benefit eachother. Obviously discussing conservation issues and ways we can help reduce our carbon footprint, I'd love to see articles about the zero-waste movement and easy small ways we can all do our part to help.

Um...ok I think that is all for now :P

And on a side note, how did you become an ambassador? And are they looking for writers at all? I'd really love to be a part of this in any way I can! And I might make a small suggestion after reading the sample for issue one that by calling it the 'mermaiding community' is is pretty exclusionary to the male and NB merfolk in our community. That is why I personally call it tailswimming whenever possible.
    Great ideas! Thanks for sharing so much!
    I became an ambassador because i was introduced to the magazine owner at a big event i do. When they were looking for ambassadors, i decided to go for it. So if you ever want to be an ambassador for something, you have to search for it and see if that company is looking for ambassadors.
    they do make posts looking for article submissions! So stay on the lookout for those and submit your piece then!
    that's a good note "mer community" makes more sense.
    my website is here
    instagram

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/KahWlYkRbiGo8" width="480" height="360" frameborder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>via GIPHY

Quote Originally Posted by Saelyyia View Post
    I ordered physical copies of all 3 issues so I can share em with folks, but I'll let you know if I have any suggestions after I have had time to look over them. I think a community based magazine for the mermaiding world is a great concept.
    EEE! Thank you!
    Can't wait to hear what you think!
    any advice will help make this a really good magazine.
    my website is here
    instagram

Senior Member Pod of Cali Saelyyia's Avatar
    Follow Saelyyia On Twitter Add Saelyyia on Facebook
    Follow Saelyyia on Tumblr
    No problem, I happen to work in the printing industry in the human world as well as have a background in editing so I look forward to being able to lend some advice to something like this as well as just enjoy the content. I did peruse it on my lunch break and I am thrilled to see the focus on so many different members of the community.

Sometimes Life Just Needs a Bit of Magic

Senior Member North Pacific Pod inanna's Avatar
    in the preview of issue three there's a typo on the page introducing staff.
    grays harbor mermaid
    "She would be half the world away, floating in a turquoise sea, dancing by the moonlight"
    - Janet Fitch

Member Undisclosed Pod
    Pod of New England
    cool! i hope the magazien is good. there aren many mermaid ones, so i hope this one will be great! i think it is awesome that they accept submissions from the public to put in their mag.

Junior Member Pod of the Midwest Runa's Avatar

Follow Runa on Tumblr
    So awesome to see a mermaid magazine! And I LOVE that they take submissions to see creativity from all over! Definitely bookmarking for later.

Ahhh that is awesome! I can't believe it's available online for free too! So amazing!