Thread: Tails

Member Undisclosed Pod
    Pod of New England

Tails

Hello! I have made one tail before, and even though it was too small, i like it a lot! i used the Yaya Han Cosplay fabric to make it, and i am making another one right now. i was wondering, what is the best fabric for tails? i want to continue making some fabric ones, but what should i use???? [IMG]Screenshot 2020-06-10 at 9.48.39 AM.png[/IMG]
    sisters of the tide are we,
    bound by salt and sand and sea,
    selkie, siren, mermaid daughters,
    priestesses of the holy waters.
    ~🐚~

Sad i cant see the pic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Syriianis Novella~♥

Member Undisclosed Pod
    Pod of New England
    wait a sec,

Name:  Screenshot 2020-06-10 at 9.48.39 AM.png
Views: 146
Size:  109.9 KB

it ain't the best but it is okay. it is too small tho
    ~🐚~

The tail I made was using lycra swimsuit material). The Yaya Han fabric is...expensive and not great. It's really amazing that she's been able to integrate Cosplay tools and knowledge into the world like she has but the fabric line leaves something to be desired. So for a first tail I suggest lycra. Once you are comfortable with that, you can graduate to better materials like a swimsuit or scuba knit or even neoprene if your machine can take it.
    The Magical Mystical MerFanc
    A Welsh Lake Monster with control of weather, water and water creatures.
    Resident sea monster, best friend of sharks and ducks, lover of the Deep Ocean.
    Known on all other social media as theAfanc

Do you intend to swim in it? From that picture, it's hard to tell if it has a monofin in it.

i don't think that fabric will hold up very well in chlorine

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Trade Winds's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by danger369 View Post
    i don't think that fabric will hold up very well in chlorine
    Yeah if that's the shiny foil print, expect all of that to go bye bye on the first swim. Worst stuff to make a tail due to extreme sensitivity to the shine rubbing off.

I find any normal spandex you can get from the usual craft stores (including scale print) to just be "ok". Expect it to last a single summer. Don't get too attached.

Sent from my SM-J737T using MerNetwork mobile app

Member Undisclosed Pod
    Pod of New England
    thanks! i will check it out!!!
    ~🐚~

Member Undisclosed Pod
    Pod of New England
    it does not have a mono fin it it right now, but i found one that fits good in it
    ~🐚~

Member Undisclosed Pod
    Pod of New England
    yeah, as i was sewing it, the paint comes of like glitter and my hands are very sparkley. but i figured it will last atleast a swim or two
    ~🐚~

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Colette View Post
    yeah, as i was sewing it, the paint comes of like glitter and my hands are very sparkley. but i figured it will last atleast a swim or two
    Honestly, if the glitter and paint are coming off I wouldn't swim in it at all. It'll be very bad for the filters on your pool and if you try to use it in a public or apartment pool, you might end up getting tails banned all together. Your best option is to learn from this tailmaking experience and make something new. Or maybe see if you can get a sealer to keep the glitter on and use this as a dry land tail only.
    The Magical Mystical MerFanc
    A Welsh Lake Monster with control of weather, water and water creatures.
    Resident sea monster, best friend of sharks and ducks, lover of the Deep Ocean.
    Known on all other social media as theAfanc

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Colette View Post
    I hope that your glittery tail is not your only tail. If you have never swam in a tail before, I can almost guarantee you that you will want to do it more often than "a swim or two"

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Buy spandex/lycra that is marked as, "Swimwear". These are made with special coatings that allow the fabric to last longer in chlorine and salt water.
    Formerly known as ireneho

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Trade Winds's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by theMerFanc View Post
    Honestly, if the glitter and paint are coming off I wouldn't swim in it at all. It'll be very bad for the filters on your pool and if you try to use it in a public or apartment pool, you might end up getting tails banned all together. Your best option is to learn from this tailmaking experience and make something new. Or maybe see if you can get a sealer to keep the glitter on and use this as a dry land tail only.
    Give it a trial run in a bathtub and see what happens. When I got my first fin fun back in the day when they used the foil print, I had green stains all over my tub from that print.

Sent from my SM-J737T using MerNetwork mobile app

For most of the fabric tails that I make, I use Lycra/Spandex or crushed (stretch) velvet. The velvet feels and looks like dolphin-skin (and kids love the feel of it dry and wet).

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Jaffa View Post
    Buy spandex/lycra that is marked as, "Swimwear". These are made with special coatings that allow the fabric to last longer in chlorine and salt water.
    this.
    as tempting as glittery, shiny fabric is- or something with holographic scales on it-, it won't hold up even if it seems to be meant for a tail.
    Buy swimwear fabric and paint/embelllish it yourself with pool-safe materials.
    Good luck!