Thread: How old do I have to be?

Junior Member Pod of New England

Question How old do I have to be?

Hi!
    Im Summer Seafoam and I'm 13. As a student going into highschool soon i want to get a side job and do it with something i love. I was wondering if there are any rules about being a professional mermaid here in Massachusetts or with just going to pool parties. I know around 15 is best, but i didnt know if i could do it sooner. Thank you!!! :)

Professional mermaid....as in a job? Just like any other job, I believe you need to look into your state labor laws for that. Probably 18.

Now if you want to do such an activity just for fun, like me, there's no age limit.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Trade Winds's Avatar
    Realistically, you could be any age. But I know a lot of people may feel more comfortable hiring someone who is of legal age. There is a good thread around here somewhere, recommending that you get various types of insurance if you want to be a pro mermaid and goes more in depth on what you should consider. Things that cost money, and unless your parents are on board, you're out of luck. Most places wouldn't hire you without some sort of liability insurance in case you or someone else gets hurt.

But let's say you want to just do it as a small, local thing - your neighbor or someone down the streets wants to give you some cash to be a mermaid for their kids party for a few hours. I would imagine that would be 'okay'. Hopefully, due to your age, your parents are going to get involved and support you (as they should) in this and figure out where to go.

Otherwise, there is absolutely nothing wrong with waiting til you get older.

Senior Member Pod of Cali Merman Storm's Avatar
    There are laws dealing with child actors and performers. Obviously, it is allowed as we have all seen them in movies and TV. You may want to research those.
    Are you a Frozen fan? Frozen fanfiction:
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10952902/1/Rain-of-a-Child-s-Tear

Let the storm rage on!

I would say 21 is the best age if working solo and what i require from anyone who works for me so i dont have to worry about them being too young to perform for the adult parties. You need to check out labor laws. I'm pretty sure you need to have someone with you. Maybe a family member can be your " mermaid handler". Its really not safe to work alone.
    I found a link on labor laws for massachusetts!

https://www.mass.gov/info-details/ma...ut-child-labor

I think its best to wait and practice. Have fun right now exploring your performing capabilities. i started performing when i was your age through school and local volunteer roles and it really helped me get out of my comfort zone and figure what i was good at and what i enjoyed. This is a very fun time for you to explore the possibilities!

You absolutely can do mermaid performance now too. I had a girl your age perform with me in August but it was volunteer work and she had to be performing with her guardian(who was also a mermaid), and sign a volunteer statement.
    come find Mermaid-Odette on facebook!
    my website is here
    instagram

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/KahWlYkRbiGo8" width="480" height="360" frameborder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>via GIPHY