Thread: Any Mers who go for the "Animal" style?

Any Mers who go for the "Animal" style?

For me personally I love all kinds of half human creatures, who are not "human".
    Most Mers I see go more for a human with a tail vibe, but I wonder if anyone is more into fish with human features. Kinda like sirens, but more colorful (and maybe less deadly^^)

Some way like that:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjL3Qel7V8Q&t=71s
    Last edited by Quinny Mermaid; 06-20-2020 at 03:01 PM.

Hi. To be honest i’m not sure i get what you mean but i think it s always cool to have some variations to the classic mermaid look. Do you mean someone with a tail looking like some real life animal like the Selkie myth of half otaria half human people or more like having a total body fish look like a Fish men from comic Books?

I like the variants which are not half but human like like in Siren or Pirates of the Caribbean. So the full body has scales or fish skin but human like arms and face.

Honestly, I would be a full on sea monster if I could. But it just isnt a realistic option for swimming for me. I cant do makeup and even if I learned how to apply and make prosthetics it would be a whole long process before I could go out and swim or meetup and I just dont have the time for that.
    The Magical Mystical MerFanc
    A Welsh Lake Monster with control of weather, water and water creatures.
    Resident sea monster, best friend of sharks and ducks, lover of the Deep Ocean.
    Known on all other social media as theAfanc

Junior Member Rocky Mountain Pod
    Quote Originally Posted by theMerFanc View Post
    Honestly, I would be a full on sea monster if I could. But it just isnt a realistic option for swimming for me. I cant do makeup and even if I learned how to apply and make prosthetics it would be a whole long process before I could go out and swim or meetup and I just dont have the time for that.
    This. This so much. I LOVE the sea monster/siren aesthetic and would 100% do it every time I swam if I could find a viable way of doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by theMerFanc View Post
    Ever tried swimming with prostetics? I wonder if they will come of or stay on (as long as they are thick enough not to rip)

So from what I understand fro a friend that does special effect work in movies and theater is that the problem you run into with using latex or silicone prothetic pieces underwater is not the piece itself usually (but ripping can be an issue if moving vigorously) but the adhesives used to attach it. Spirit gum and liquid latex, which are usually used, have fairly high water resistance, but are prone to detaching when used on larger pieces underwater for long periods of time. It works spectacularly on smaller pieces like ear fins (though those are more prone to being ripped by water resistance) but for things like fins on the arms or webbing between fingers you run the risk of them getting water between the skin and proethetic and peeling off.

Now this conversation DID make me think of making skintight spandex bodystocking type tops though. Like you could easily do creepy stuff on your arms with that.

You should never combine silicone and latex as they will react.

Quote Originally Posted by NeonHyena View Post
    Now this conversation DID make me think of making skintight spandex bodystocking type tops though. Like you could easily do creepy stuff on your arms with that.
    Something like this? https://www.etsy.com/de/listing/7314...home_active_12

Quote Originally Posted by fabianfrz View Post
    You should never combine silicone and latex as they will react.
    I didn't suggest that?

Quote Originally Posted by fabianfrz View Post
    Yes, but more monstery and less humanoid. That's pretty much exactly the sort of thing I was thinking.

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    I'd definitely like to see mers with a more "not human" vibe, but it takes of course so much time and effort to achieve such a look, and swimming is not always an option.
    So I get why most are just their "normal" self above the tail.
    I'd especially like non-humanoid costume ideas (selkies, kelpies, sea serpents etc), but that's of course even harder to do.
    I have 2 non humanoid full body costumes, but it's very hard to swim in them^^

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoPDBi6dRFs

I wonder if this one is swimmable. But it's sooo gorgeous!

uhh... horse mermaid! ^.^

everything is better with as little as possible hooman ;3
    just a random Kelpie... "wanna come to my lake?"

Sooo true^^