Thread: Totally New! Southern USA

Totally New! Southern USA

Hi everyone! My name is Maura. I am currently a NC State senior with a major in Communication, with a focus in Media. I am a sister of Kappa Phi Lambda Sorority Inc. Interesting facts about myself is I used to be an archery instructor and for many years I was a Sea Scout as well as a Venture Scout. I absolutely love the outdoors! I am trying to think of interesting facts about myself on the fly and I can’t really think of any.

I am so excited to be taking the leap and figuring out about the mercommunity! I had no idea that tails even existed until I saw a tail on Wish (which by the way, I would be so nervous to buy a tail from them because it seems way too cheap for the monofin and the skin.)

I was always interested as a little girl in mermaids but when I was growing up I didn’t know of any companies that made mermaid tails. I used to spend all my days and nights in this pool at my house and even back then, I would practice swimming with my legs together, hoping one day I could make my dream come true. I used to look up the mermaid spells when my mom would go to sleep and I would be so upset they didn’t work. Is that anyone else?

I literally have so many questions. I hope I am asking this on the right form because it is beginner questions... but I am not sure! If I am wrong I will be happy to take my post down.

-So first thing is first, what qualifies a person as a mermaid? Do you have to have your first tail before you are considered a merperson or is it more of a spiritual thing? I am so curious!

-I am trying to prepare for buying my first tail and I want to know what physical skill I need in order to do this properly?

-I have been practicing the wave motion in my pool. I will say I think it’s going to be an interesting beginning because I am a size 12-14 and I am somewhat buoyant... from what I can tell already! My pool is about 5 feet deep and it’s a round above ground pool, will I have to practice in a deeper pool to prevent myself from floating to the top? The motion feels fluid and natural, but the problem is sometimes my butt will get too high and float to the surface.

-I am really conflicted as to which tail I want my beginner tail to be. From watching some videos it seems that most people get a Fin Fun tail to start with. Which they are nice and relatively inexpensive but I am honestly not a fan of the way they look in terms of the hole in the bottom. Does that hole zip up or is that there on purpose? Right now, my top two competitors are both Mertailor Tails. I love the way they look in the water from the videos I have seen, but is it too far of a leap for a beginner? I wanted to see if it is worth it to wait just a hint longer and get the Fantasea original plus the moon maiden skin for what looks like $265 with shipping, or if I should go ahead and purchase the guppy combo which is around $179 with shipping, or get just the Fantasea original without the skin and pay around $165 with shipping. Sorry this was so bulky! Also with the original Fantasea skins it seems that there was a pilling issue, is that still an issue?

-With the Fin Fun tail and all of the costs in mind, which would be the best option for a beginner?

I hope this post wasn’t a nightmare and I am so excited and honored to be meeting all you merpeople out there!

Quote Originally Posted by mekaiser View Post
    Hi everyone! My name is Maura. I am currently a NC State senior with a major in Communication, with a focus in Media. I am a sister of Kappa Phi Lambda Sorority Inc. Interesting facts about myself is I used to be an archery instructor and for many years I was a Sea Scout as well as a Venture Scout. I absolutely love the outdoors! I am trying to think of interesting facts about myself on the fly and I can’t really think of any.

I am so excited to be taking the leap and figuring out about the mercommunity! I had no idea that tails even existed until I saw a tail on Wish (which by the way, I would be so nervous to buy a tail from them because it seems way too cheap for the monofin and the skin.)

I was always interested as a little girl in mermaids but when I was growing up I didn’t know of any companies that made mermaid tails. I used to spend all my days and nights in this pool at my house and even back then, I would practice swimming with my legs together, hoping one day I could make my dream come true. I used to look up the mermaid spells when my mom would go to sleep and I would be so upset they didn’t work. Is that anyone else?
    HELLO AND WELCOME! I definitely didn't do any spells to become a mermaid when I was a kid but if I'd known they were around I probably would have :P I also love being outside, I used to do some archery and have a longbow but I don't have much time to go out and shoot it. I am int he SCA and I did some archery with them but, again, I couldn't make it to regular practices. I am really interested in mounted archery though!

We are excited to have you in the mercomm! <3 All are welcome, especially the enthusiastic ones :P As far as a Wish tail goes, yes the monofins are cheap. I can send you pictures of mine if you are interested. They do propel you better then just your feet would but honestly, not much better. However, I was able to squeeze my Linden fin into my Wish tail and it was great! The real reason we try to steer new folx away from Wish tails is because they are almost entirely cheap knockoffs and stolen designs of hardworking merfolk who put their heart and souls into the tails they make. I do have one and I am ashamed to say it, but I purchased it before I really knew.

I literally have so many questions. I hope I am asking this on the right form because it is beginner questions... but I am not sure! If I am wrong I will be happy to take my post down.

-So first thing is first, what qualifies a person as a mermaid? Do you have to have your first tail before you are considered a merperson or is it more of a spiritual thing? I am so curious!
    Anyone is a mermaid who wants to be a mermaid! I don't know if there's a real line but if there is then ignore it! It's what is in your heart that counts. One thing I use sometimes to differentiate is mermaiding vs Tailswimming. 1) Tailswimming is a sport/activity and is a more gender neutral term. And it would include everyone who has a tail. Where as mermaiding or being a mermaid is about what you love!

-I am trying to prepare for buying my first tail and I want to know what physical skill I need in order to do this properly?
    Some tails include the monofin, others don't. I would research what tails you are interested and if they don't have a fin, obviously you need to purchase it separately. I always always ALWAYS recommend swimming in just the fin first. Get a feel for it, really understand how fast it makes you and how different it is from just flopping around without a monofin or with bifins. ALSO make sure you know how to quick release your monofin for safety because if you wait until you NEED to do it to LEARN how to do it you will be in serious trouble. If you are looking for something to do on dry, practicing (safely and with a buddy) your breath hold is always a good idea and doing a lot of abb and core strength excersizes will help you go a long way.

-I have been practicing the wave motion in my pool. I will say I think it’s going to be an interesting beginning because I am a size 12-14 and I am somewhat buoyant... from what I can tell already! My pool is about 5 feet deep and it’s a round above ground pool, will I have to practice in a deeper pool to prevent myself from floating to the top? The motion feels fluid and natural, but the problem is sometimes my butt will get too high and float to the surface.
    The depth of the pool or weather it's inset or above ground should have nothing to do with how buoyant you are. When i was SCUBA certified, I was much more floaty then my dad. We were diving in the same waters with the same equipment. It just is what it is. And plastic monofins and neoprene make you much more floaty. Most merfolk don't seem to talk about buoyancy from what I can see which I find odd. I spend so much energy trying to stay down that I barely spend any time underwater before I need more air. I am going to look into getting SCUBA weights because I want to start diving again but also because I have a very floaty tail heading my way soon. My suggestion would be to find a SCUBA shop that is super cool once you get your tail and take it to them. They should be willing to let you hop in their pool (for a fee) and check weights until you come out neutral. Then you will know what to get! And I am planning to decorate my weights with sea trash and a silicone octopus and sea star as part of my mersona design.

-I am really conflicted as to which tail I want my beginner tail to be. From watching some videos it seems that most people get a Fin Fun tail to start with. Which they are nice and relatively inexpensive but I am honestly not a fan of the way they look in terms of the hole in the bottom. Does that hole zip up or is that there on purpose? Right now, my top two competitors are both Mertailor Tails. I love the way they look in the water from the videos I have seen, but is it too far of a leap for a beginner? I wanted to see if it is worth it to wait just a hint longer and get the Fantasea original plus the moon maiden skin for what looks like $265 with shipping, or if I should go ahead and purchase the guppy combo which is around $179 with shipping, or get just the Fantasea original without the skin and pay around $165 with shipping. Sorry this was so bulky! Also with the original Fantasea skins it seems that there was a pilling issue, is that still an issue?
    The hole is there on purpose and it velcros over but does not zip. It allows the water and air to escape so that you don't end up with a tail full of air or that has a lot of drag. I agree with you, I don't like the look, but it is a helpful option.
    I don't own any of the mertailor tails but remember, none of those skins come with a fin! So with the fin as well, you are looking at about $500 shipped for the whole package which is honestly pretty pricy (at least for me) for a first tail. But this is 100% up to you and what you are comfortable with. If you found one you really love and you are good with the price then do it! Just remember my advice above to swim in the monofin by itself before you shimmy into the tailskin. For that reason, if the price is a concern all at once, you could get the fin first, give it time and practice, then buy the skin when you are ready/able.

There are other tailmakers as well. However what I notices is you'll either find the crappy Wish and Amazon knockoffs for $35, or they are $300 high end fabrics. You will love your first tail because it is your first tail, but if you really enjoy this as a hobby/sport/side job, full job then you will eventually end up with more then one tail. So the first tail you get really isn't that big of a deal. Hard to believe, I know, but I honestly recommend getting a cheap tail with a more expensive monofin because the fin is what will really be doing all the work.

-With the Fin Fun tail and all of the costs in mind, which would be the best option for a beginner?

I hope this post wasn’t a nightmare and I am so excited and honored to be meeting all you merpeople out there!
    This post wasnt' a nightmare at all! These are great questions and I hope that I helped even a little. If you'd like help finding other tailmakers, I love internet research, you can always PM me. I ended up buying my third tail (first I made myself, second came from wish) from someone on Etsy and I am waiting anxiously for it). It is a custom design but there are other makers who do standard designs at custom measurements which is really a great way to go. Good luck! And again, welcome to the Merfam <3
    The Magical Mystical MerFanc
    A Welsh Lake Monster with control of weather, water and water creatures.
    Resident sea monster, best friend of sharks and ducks, lover of the Deep Ocean.
    Known on all other social media as theAfanc

Quote Originally Posted by theMerFanc View Post
    HELLO AND WELCOME! I definitely didn't do any spells to become a mermaid when I was a kid but if I'd known they were around I probably would have :P I also love being outside, I used to do some archery and have a longbow but I don't have much time to go out and shoot it. I am int he SCA and I did some archery with them but, again, I couldn't make it to regular practices. I am really interested in mounted archery though!

We are excited to have you in the mercomm! <3 All are welcome, especially the enthusiastic ones :P As far as a Wish tail goes, yes the monofins are cheap. I can send you pictures of mine if you are interested. They do propel you better then just your feet would but honestly, not much better. However, I was able to squeeze my Linden fin into my Wish tail and it was great! The real reason we try to steer new folx away from Wish tails is because they are almost entirely cheap knockoffs and stolen designs of hardworking merfolk who put their heart and souls into the tails they make. I do have one and I am ashamed to say it, but I purchased it before I really knew.

Anyone is a mermaid who wants to be a mermaid! I don't know if there's a real line but if there is then ignore it! It's what is in your heart that counts. One thing I use sometimes to differentiate is mermaiding vs Tailswimming. 1) Tailswimming is a sport/activity and is a more gender neutral term. And it would include everyone who has a tail. Where as mermaiding or being a mermaid is about what you love!

Some tails include the monofin, others don't. I would research what tails you are interested and if they don't have a fin, obviously you need to purchase it separately. I always always ALWAYS recommend swimming in just the fin first. Get a feel for it, really understand how fast it makes you and how different it is from just flopping around without a monofin or with bifins. ALSO make sure you know how to quick release your monofin for safety because if you wait until you NEED to do it to LEARN how to do it you will be in serious trouble. If you are looking for something to do on dry, practicing (safely and with a buddy) your breath hold is always a good idea and doing a lot of abb and core strength excersizes will help you go a long way.

The depth of the pool or weather it's inset or above ground should have nothing to do with how buoyant you are. When i was SCUBA certified, I was much more floaty then my dad. We were diving in the same waters with the same equipment. It just is what it is. And plastic monofins and neoprene make you much more floaty. Most merfolk don't seem to talk about buoyancy from what I can see which I find odd. I spend so much energy trying to stay down that I barely spend any time underwater before I need more air. I am going to look into getting SCUBA weights because I want to start diving again but also because I have a very floaty tail heading my way soon. My suggestion would be to find a SCUBA shop that is super cool once you get your tail and take it to them. They should be willing to let you hop in their pool (for a fee) and check weights until you come out neutral. Then you will know what to get! And I am planning to decorate my weights with sea trash and a silicone octopus and sea star as part of my mersona design.

The hole is there on purpose and it velcros over but does not zip. It allows the water and air to escape so that you don't end up with a tail full of air or that has a lot of drag. I agree with you, I don't like the look, but it is a helpful option.
    I don't own any of the mertailor tails but remember, none of those skins come with a fin! So with the fin as well, you are looking at about $500 shipped for the whole package which is honestly pretty pricy (at least for me) for a first tail. But this is 100% up to you and what you are comfortable with. If you found one you really love and you are good with the price then do it! Just remember my advice above to swim in the monofin by itself before you shimmy into the tailskin. For that reason, if the price is a concern all at once, you could get the fin first, give it time and practice, then buy the skin when you are ready/able.

There are other tailmakers as well. However what I notices is you'll either find the crappy Wish and Amazon knockoffs for $35, or they are $300 high end fabrics. You will love your first tail because it is your first tail, but if you really enjoy this as a hobby/sport/side job, full job then you will eventually end up with more then one tail. So the first tail you get really isn't that big of a deal. Hard to believe, I know, but I honestly recommend getting a cheap tail with a more expensive monofin because the fin is what will really be doing all the work.

This post wasnt' a nightmare at all! These are great questions and I hope that I helped even a little. If you'd like help finding other tailmakers, I love internet research, you can always PM me. I ended up buying my third tail (first I made myself, second came from wish) from someone on Etsy and I am waiting anxiously for it). It is a custom design but there are other makers who do standard designs at custom measurements which is really a great way to go. Good luck! And again, welcome to the Merfam <3
    Wow! Thank you so much for all the information!!!

Wow it’s so sad that people would profit from others worth with the wish tails! That’s heartbreaking.

Also it was interesting to find out more about the community and the differences between Mermaids and Tailswimmers! Inclusion is so important and it’s awesome you guys are so awesome and open to new members!

Oh my gosh I was so glad it’s not just me who has this problem with buoyancy! I couldn’t find a whole lot of into on it but now I feel so much more confident about how to manage it now!

Also the advice about the out of water swimming really helped as well because now I can get swol in the wintertime as well!

Your advice really helped me narrow the tail I want to start with! I think I am going to start by getting the Fantasea fin one, and then once I feel comfortable getting in and out of it and feel safe I can move up and get a tail skin.

I really appreciate the time you took to reach out to me and to help me on my journey to Merdom! I hope your journey is going good as well!!!

Wow it’s so sad that people would profit from others worth with the wish tails! That’s heartbreaking.

Also it was interesting to find out more about the community and the differences between Mermaids and Tailswimmers! Inclusion is so important and it’s awesome you guys are so awesome and open to new members!

Oh my gosh I was so glad it’s not just me who has this problem with buoyancy! I couldn’t find a whole lot of into on it but now I feel so much more confident about how to manage it now!

Also the advice about the out of water swimming really helped as well because now I can get swol in the wintertime as well!

Your advice really helped me narrow the tail I want to start with! I think I am going to start by getting the Fantasea fin one, and then once I feel comfortable getting in and out of it and feel safe I can move up and get a tail skin.

I really appreciate the time you took to reach out to me and to help me on my journey to Merdom! I hope your journey is going good as well!!!

Of course! I am always full of questions when I join a new hobby or activity and I typically spend hourssss browsing forums or watching youtube videos. Literally yesterday I spent like 5 hours of youtube and shopping on amazon/wish for clay sculpting and resin casting projects >.> So I understand having all those newbie questions and I am happy to help.

Yea I really don't know why buoyancy isn't a more discussed topic. It isn't an uncommon problem but as far as I know there are only one or two threads devoted to weight belts or other options. I would think maybe most mermaids just don't realize it's an issue but I know A LOT of mermaids, especially the pros, are also SCUBA certified so...they should know. Ohwhelll

Exciting choice! Which skin are you choosing? There are a few I like but at this point, I need me some extra pretty fins so those tails don't really appeal to me anymore.

Of course! I am always full of questions when I join a new hobby or activity and I typically spend hourssss browsing forums or watching youtube videos. Literally yesterday I spent like 5 hours of youtube and shopping on amazon/wish for clay sculpting and resin casting projects >.> So I understand having all those newbie questions and I am happy to help.

Yea I really don't know why buoyancy isn't a more discussed topic. It isn't an uncommon problem but as far as I know there are only one or two threads devoted to weight belts or other options. I would think maybe most mermaids just don't realize it's an issue but I know A LOT of mermaids, especially the pros, are also SCUBA certified so...they should know. Ohwhelll

Exciting choice! Which skin are you choosing? There are a few I like but at this point, I need me some extra pretty fins so those tails don't really appeal to me anymore.
    Bruh our souls must be made from the same dough! I legit have already watched 20ish hours about mermaiding, advice, anything I can get my hands on .

That’s so interesting, I think there would be a lot in a potential market to help other mermaids with buoyancy, maybe like weirdly heavy accessories or something, that could be cool!

Bruh I am obsessed with the Moon Maiden Skin. And also the Water Lilly skin so I am a little conflicted but I think until I get the hang of it I am gonna either make my own skin or get the cheaper spandex skin from them, just so that way if it gets super scuffed in the beginning it won’t break my heart.

Bruh our souls must be made from the same dough! I legit have already watched 20ish hours about mermaiding, advice, anything I can get my hands on .

That’s so interesting, I think there would be a lot in a potential market to help other mermaids with buoyancy, maybe like weirdly heavy accessories or something, that could be cool!

Bruh I am obsessed with the Moon Maiden Skin. And also the Water Lilly skin so I am a little conflicted but I think until I get the hang of it I am gonna either make my own skin or get the cheaper spandex skin from them, just so that way if it gets super scuffed in the beginning it won’t break my heart.
    Those are both gorgeous tails! I really enjoy the croc skin ones and the Copper Mint is gorgeous too <3 I really prefer natural coloured tails. Or like...I guess most fish are bright so they are all natural but like the browns and greens and earthy colours.

From the same dough <3 I love that so much and I'm gonna steal the crap out of that :P Yea my Amazon, Wish and ebay carts are all at like $200 worth of supplies each fro my new obsessions XD gotta narrow it down!

That is true! One of the two new things I was looking into was resin casting so it shouldn't be too hard to put weights into resin to make heavier accesories. I was planning to put weights around my ankles so that it kept my tail down (rather then a waist belt because my lower half will be the part struggling to stay down with a floaty tail) But yea, if it works and looks prety I can totally try to market them

Those are both gorgeous tails! I really enjoy the croc skin ones and the Copper Mint is gorgeous too <3 I really prefer natural coloured tails. Or like...I guess most fish are bright so they are all natural but like the browns and greens and earthy colours.

From the same dough <3 I love that so much and I'm gonna steal the crap out of that :P Yea my Amazon, Wish and ebay carts are all at like $200 worth of supplies each fro my new obsessions XD gotta narrow it down!

That is true! One of the two new things I was looking into was resin casting so it shouldn't be too hard to put weights into resin to make heavier accesories. I was planning to put weights around my ankles so that it kept my tail down (rather then a waist belt because my lower half will be the part struggling to stay down with a floaty tail) But yea, if it works and looks prety I can totally try to market them
    Omg yessss those tails are so GORGEOUS

Bruh I love saying it, it’s so cute! I saw it on a show the other day and I was obsessed with it. Bruh honestly my mertailor cart right now is the exact same wayyyyy (I have like 600-1000 in it at one time )

Bruh seriously if you end up selling them let me know because I’ll totally get some!