Hi everyone! My name is Maura. I am currently a NC State senior with a major in Communication, with a focus in Media. I am a sister of Kappa Phi Lambda Sorority Inc. Interesting facts about myself is I used to be an archery instructor and for many years I was a Sea Scout as well as a Venture Scout. I absolutely love the outdoors! I am trying to think of interesting facts about myself on the fly and I can’t really think of any.

I am so excited to be taking the leap and figuring out about the mercommunity! I had no idea that tails even existed until I saw a tail on Wish (which by the way, I would be so nervous to buy a tail from them because it seems way too cheap for the monofin and the skin.)

I was always interested as a little girl in mermaids but when I was growing up I didn’t know of any companies that made mermaid tails. I used to spend all my days and nights in this pool at my house and even back then, I would practice swimming with my legs together, hoping one day I could make my dream come true. I used to look up the mermaid spells when my mom would go to sleep and I would be so upset they didn’t work. Is that anyone else?

I literally have so many questions. I hope I am asking this on the right form because it is beginner questions... but I am not sure! If I am wrong I will be happy to take my post down.

-So first thing is first, what qualifies a person as a mermaid? Do you have to have your first tail before you are considered a merperson or is it more of a spiritual thing? I am so curious!

-I am trying to prepare for buying my first tail and I want to know what physical skill I need in order to do this properly?

-I have been practicing the wave motion in my pool. I will say I think it’s going to be an interesting beginning because I am a size 12-14 and I am somewhat buoyant... from what I can tell already! My pool is about 5 feet deep and it’s a round above ground pool, will I have to practice in a deeper pool to prevent myself from floating to the top? The motion feels fluid and natural, but the problem is sometimes my butt will get too high and float to the surface.

-I am really conflicted as to which tail I want my beginner tail to be. From watching some videos it seems that most people get a Fin Fun tail to start with. Which they are nice and relatively inexpensive but I am honestly not a fan of the way they look in terms of the hole in the bottom. Does that hole zip up or is that there on purpose? Right now, my top two competitors are both Mertailor Tails. I love the way they look in the water from the videos I have seen, but is it too far of a leap for a beginner? I wanted to see if it is worth it to wait just a hint longer and get the Fantasea original plus the moon maiden skin for what looks like $265 with shipping, or if I should go ahead and purchase the guppy combo which is around $179 with shipping, or get just the Fantasea original without the skin and pay around $165 with shipping. Sorry this was so bulky! Also with the original Fantasea skins it seems that there was a pilling issue, is that still an issue?

-With the Fin Fun tail and all of the costs in mind, which would be the best option for a beginner?

I hope this post wasn’t a nightmare and I am so excited and honored to be meeting all you merpeople out there!