Thread: Molten metal

Molten metal

This is something I started a long time ago in my own efforts to make my own silicone tail. Before drawing anything out, I wanted to make sure I would have all the tools to make it. Part of that was a scale mold that I could use over and over again without the fear of it wearing out over time. The only way I could think of was by using metal. I am not complete, but this picture shows what I have so far. The large one on the left is just over 2 1/2 inches wide and made of lead. I bought this lead from someone who melted a bunch of wheel weights and remelted it. The one in the middle is right at 2 inches wide and also made of lead. After spending some time with the belt sander to start smoothing them out before cutting lines with the Dremel, I changed my mind about using lead. Though I have the tools to work with it pretty easily, it is still toxic, so I am just putting those into storage. The scale mold on the right is made from aluminum. I melted a bunch of soda cans to get this amount. Although it is much lighter and not toxic, it has a higher melting point and more difficult to work with. The lead was able to pour into my custom sheet metal trays and take their shape. The aluminum started to cool too fast, so that is why it appears to have a rounded top. That's ok, I will put it on the belt sander and make a round scale as opposed to a cornered one as I saw in an article.

I will work with these more later. My current tools are insufficient for working with large amounts of molten aluminum as seen in this picture, but I have new ones on order. A word of wisdom: molten metal is dangerous. Do not attempt this unless you really know what you are doing.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Wow! Badly degraded image. Let's try again......
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Senior Member Pod of Cali Merman Storm's Avatar
    If you want a lower melting point metal, you may want to use plumber's solder. It is lead free, and is easy to buy.
    Are you a Frozen fan? Frozen fanfiction:
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10952902/1/Rain-of-a-Child-s-Tear

Let the storm rage on!

Quote Originally Posted by Merman Storm View Post
    If you want a lower melting point metal, you may want to use plumber's solder.
    I forgot to mention that I tried that. After I would remove them from my sheet metal forms, there would be pits on the bottom side from bubbles that were unable to float out before it hardened.

Also it was too soft. My goal is to create something that would not quickly wear out from repeatedly using to make negative copies in plaster. If I can get my skills up on this, I might try copper one day.

so you want a mold that doesn't wear, and use the softest metals... i believe it's easier to print (or otherwise form) a positive, and getting many reusable (silicone, clay,plaster) molds from it
    it's not as dangeours and tool intensive, i believe...
    or maybe find a makerspace they might have a (cnc) mill for producing molds in harder metals?

and don't worry too much about wear... no scale looks alike :3
    just a random Kelpie... "wanna come to my lake?"

I don't have access to a 3D printer. If I did, I would have made something already.

I already had the tools to melt lead and make fishing weights from it. Using aluminum is just a step up. And since I already drink sodas, I am just melting the cans instead of throwing them out. And if I lose interest in this effort, I could still recycle the aluminum.

Also, I started doing this before buying a silicone tail....but the urge to at least try making my own is still there.

Sent from my SM-N950U using MerNetwork mobile app

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    Seems like overkill to me. I've been using clay to make original scales and urethane resin to make molds of those scales and have produced thousands of scales without an degradation.

Quote Originally Posted by PearlieMae View Post
    Seems like overkill to me.
    I respectfully reject your opinion because..........never mind, that actually sounds about right. I can't deny that it is a crazy idea, but that's just me.

I am still working on perfecting one and will post pictures when I do.

hey... if it's what is there... why not use it, right?
    just a random Kelpie... "wanna come to my lake?"

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by K Swim View Post
    I respectfully reject your opinion because..........never mind, that actually sounds about right. I can't deny that it is a crazy idea, but that's just me.

I am still working on perfecting one and will post pictures when I do.
    Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Kelpie Thyra View Post
    hey... if it's what is there... why not use it, right?
    Exactly why I'm doing it. That, plus a tiny bit of insanity, might yield some results.