Thread: Hi :)

Junior Member Euro Pod

Smile Hi :)

Just thought I'd say hi

Live near London/Surrey in the UK, although I count myself as half Welsh (hence the name I've choosen, Myrddin, the Welsh form of Merlin) - I lived in/near Wales for several years, and my Mum was born in Wales, so feel a strong connection.

Love the outdoors, and have always loved watersports (sailing, kayaking, scuba diving, camping being some of my many hobbies). Used to love doing swimming when I was at school - got back into it about 6 or 7 years ago when I became interested in outdoor swimming, and now swim quite regularly (including taking part in the Brownsea island swim, doing a channel swim relay last year, and the polar bear swim challenge end of last year/start of this year!).

Have always been interested in fantasy-type things (e.g. Lord of the rings, magic, dragons, etc), so I think that's part of the appeal of mermaiding/mermaning to me, and another reason behind the name I've choosen - have been swimming with a (fabric) tail/monofin for a few weeks, and finding it really good fun as well though!

Originally came across the idea of mermaid/merman swimming when someone posted back in February in an outdoor swimming group that I'm a member of to ask if anyone would be interested in doing a mermaid/merman session. That never happened unfortunately due to lockdown, but I was still curious about it, so ordered a monofin/tail online to have a go with, and have taught myself the dolphin kick and learning a few other things bit by bit.

Been tail swimming outdoors in a few different places now, and gradually building up my confidence (both in the actual tail swimming, and in getting used to people seeing me swimming!). Been finding lots of information in various places, including here and various youtube channels which has been very useful.

Currently have a 'uramermaid' monofin and two tailskins to go with it. (Also have a really cheap monofin and tailskin that I brought early on as well, but I gave up on those after finding the uramermaid one so much better quality!)

Am considering getting other monofins to try as well - the Finfun AMP, and the Mahina monofin are two that I've been wondering about after reading reviews, but open to recommendations.

I quite like the look of the Finfun AMP as the uramermaid fin is the same shape, but the AMP has a few improvements such as the reinforcement between the feet and reinforced tips. Unsure about if it would fit my feet though (am size 10.5/11 in UK sizes), and also wondering if there is anywhere closer to the UK that sells it (or anywhere closer that sells the Mahina) to save on postage.

Look forward to getting to know everyone!

Hello and welcome aboard. I am glad to see that you have already started to enjoy yourself with this hobby.

Hello friend! That is super exciting, I don't have much to offer you. Looks like you've done a lot of research on your own which is great. That is super cool that you have a local mermaid store nearby, I've never heard of that place but I just looked it up and it's an actual brick and mortar store! I can guarantee everyone else around here will be super jelly.

As far as fin recommendations, I would solidly have to say the Mermaid Linden fin is top notch. It is the same size as my Finish Rapid (which is an actual free-diving fin) but is much more comfortable. I've even been able to shove it in the clownfish tailskin I purchased from a third party retailer. I don't have any of the fins you've mentioned, but the Linden is fantastic. Another option, if you are serious about tailswimming and want to move into better quality skins, would be to invest in one of the Mertailor Fantasea fins and then get a tailskin to match when you are at that point monetarily. I don't have one but they are gorgeous and top quality and they look amazing even without a skin.
    The Magical Mystical MerFanc
    A Welsh Lake Monster with control of weather, water and water creatures.
    Resident sea monster, best friend of sharks and ducks, lover of the Deep Ocean.
    Known on all other social media as theAfanc

Junior Member Euro Pod
    Thankyou both for the welcome

Quote Originally Posted by theMerFanc View Post
    I would solidly have to say the Mermaid Linden fin is top notch. It is the same size as my Finish Rapid (which is an actual free-diving fin) but is much more comfortable. I've even been able to shove it in the clownfish tailskin I purchased from a third party retailer. I don't have any of the fins you've mentioned, but the Linden is fantastic. Another option, if you are serious about tailswimming and want to move into better quality skins, would be to invest in one of the Mertailor Fantasea fins and then get a tailskin to match when you are at that point monetarily. I don't have one but they are gorgeous and top quality and they look amazing even without a skin.
    Thanks for the recommendations - I think I've come across both of those fins when I was looking at other mermaid-related things, so will look into them a bit closer .

@MerFanc - just noticed your signature, do you have Welsh connections as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Myrddin View Post
    Thankyou both for the welcome

Thanks for the recommendations - I think I've come across both of those fins when I was looking at other mermaid-related things, so will look into them a bit closer .

@MerFanc - just noticed your signature, do you have Welsh connections as well?
    I thought I was solidly a Finis type of swimmer but I am so in love with my Linden. I hope you find a fin that you feel really works for you.

I have never done any of those ancestry tests so I don't know if I am physically Welsh at all. but the Afanc which is my internet handle and my soul monster/kinself is a creature from Welsh mythology.
    The Magical Mystical MerFanc
    A Welsh Lake Monster with control of weather, water and water creatures.
    Resident sea monster, best friend of sharks and ducks, lover of the Deep Ocean.
    Known on all other social media as theAfanc

Junior Member Euro Pod
    Quote Originally Posted by theMerFanc View Post
    I thought I was solidly a Finis type of swimmer but I am so in love with my Linden. I hope you find a fin that you feel really works for you.

I have never done any of those ancestry tests so I don't know if I am physically Welsh at all. but the Afanc which is my internet handle and my soul monster/kinself is a creature from Welsh mythology.
    Linden ordered - now just have to patiently wait for it!

Hadn't heard of the Afanc before - quite interesting reading the stories about it!

I don't know if I'm physically Welsh either - depends what you mean by physically Welsh and how far back you go in my family tree!

I have a Linden and love it! The first time I used it, I was honestly surprised how fast I was able to go with such little effort (only used FinFun pro before this one).

Sent from my SM-G960U using MerNetwork mobile app