Thread: Greetings from Reno, NV

Greetings from Reno, NV

Hey y'all!

I am absolutely new to the mer community. I've always been interested in mermaids and sirens as I'm a big fan of mythology and fantasy. I have been kicking around an actual mermaid costume for years, but hadn't realized there was a bigger community. I have my degree in Theatrical Costume Design so it was a given that I would find my way around to this decision. I even helped make a couple non-swimmable tails while I was working as a Costume Tech in San Antonio, TX before I moved states last year. When I started a new job a few months ago I made a friend who is already in the community doing fantasy photography, does her own mermaiding, and that passion ignited again! So I started to do research on how to make your own tail and what exactly you need to do this. The only things that worries me a little bit is I'm plus size, so definitely more of a Ursula than an Ariel On the plus side I already know how to dolphin kick because my Dad was on his college swim team and made sure my brother and I knew how to swim properly, even the butterfly. So I'd like to think that I'll be comfortable with the swimming style.

As of right now I'm waiting on materials for my tail to get to my house. I bought my first monofin [Linden Monofin by Body Glove] and it should be arriving today! I also got some pretty swimsuit fabric and airbrush textile paint so I can create my first tail. I really hope it gets here soon because I'm ready to go and already have the design in my head!! I've been stalking the tail making threads to get some good ideas and see everyone's designs. Everything is so pretty guys!

The funny part of all this is I told my boyfriend I was 'contemplating being a mermaid' and he just looked at my like I was dumb and asked "You weren't already?" I guess I should add I've had 'mermaid' hair for years. Sea-greens and teal since college as long as I have jobs that let me.

Anyway I'm excited to meet people and make cool things! <3

Good afternoon and welcome. If you know how to make a tail, you will find plenty of friends around these parts....none of which will even question you on what you feel about your body type. The only thing we do here is enjoy the fantasy.

Hi. Welcome. As just said dont worry about size. They are plenty of very cool plus size Mermaids already, as this link will proves : https://ravishly.com/these-17-plus-s...er-inspiration. Hope you enjoy this community.

Hello I’m a plus sized mer from your neighboring state of Utah. I’m about 7 and a half hours from Reno I think. I’m very plus sized atm, but will be working on that. I just got a custom sized tail from fin fun for now just to get me going. Welcome to the mer family

Sent from my iPhone using MerNetwork

Welcome welcome! The mercommunity doesn't care if you are plus size, we are all merfolk here and we all fit in! I can't wait to watch your tailmaking journey, you should definitely start a thread over in that forum to keep us updated. The Linden is my favorite fin, you won't want anything else once you swim in it <3 I hope you love it!
    The Magical Mystical MerFanc
    A Welsh Lake Monster with control of weather, water and water creatures.
    Resident sea monster, best friend of sharks and ducks, lover of the Deep Ocean.
    Known on all other social media as theAfanc

Quote Originally Posted by theMerFanc View Post
    Welcome welcome! The mercommunity doesn't care if you are plus size, we are all merfolk here and we all fit in! I can't wait to watch your tailmaking journey, you should definitely start a thread over in that forum to keep us updated. The Linden is my favorite fin, you won't want anything else once you swim in it <3 I hope you love it!
    I got it this weekend and will going swimming with my friend on Wednesday to try it out! I'm really excited. When I was researching it had good reviews, plus it was a reasonable price to start with. I'll definitely be making a thread while I'm learning more about tail making.

Quote Originally Posted by MermaidAsteria View Post
    Hello I’m a plus sized mer from your neighboring state of Utah. I’m about 7 and a half hours from Reno I think. I’m very plus sized atm, but will be working on that. I just got a custom sized tail from fin fun for now just to get me going. Welcome to the mer family
    Hello state-neighbor! What color is your tail? I'd love to see a pic of it!!

Quote Originally Posted by K Swim View Post
    Good afternoon and welcome. If you know how to make a tail, you will find plenty of friends around these parts....none of which will even question you on what you feel about your body type. The only thing we do here is enjoy the fantasy.
    Thank you so much for the welcome and confidence <3

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Fina View Post
    Hi. Welcome. As just said dont worry about size. They are plenty of very cool plus size Mermaids already, as this link will proves : https://ravishly.com/these-17-plus-s...er-inspiration. Hope you enjoy this community.
    Those are so awesome! I love the inspiration. And thank you for the welcome

Quote Originally Posted by MissDeBear View Post
    Hello state-neighbor! What color is your tail? I'd love to see a pic of it!!

Thank you so much for the welcome and confidence <3

Those are so awesome! I love the inspiration. And thank you for the welcome
    Here is the tail I have right now. Name:  IMG_1369.JPG
Views: 115
Size:  9.9 KB. But I eventually plan on buying these 2 from mertailor Name:  IMG_0255.JPG
Views: 110
Size:  8.7 KBName:  IMG_1523.JPG
Views: 75
Size:  7.9 KB

Sent from my iPhone using MerNetwork