Thread: New and Curious

Junior Member Undisclosed Pod

New and Curious

I've been lurking since the beginning of the year, but I finally decided to create an account and introduce myself! You can call me Mer Lace.

Like many of you, I'm sure, I grew up loving merfolk and pretending to be a mermaid every time I went swimming. (Of course, I never had swim lessons or knew what the dolphin kick was, so I just kind of wiggled around and pretended my legs were stuck together haha) I didn't know that tail swimming was a thing until last year when I saw an acquaintance start sharing pictures on social media, and I've been curious ever since!

I want a monofin and mermaid tail, but I also recognize that I need to be a better swimmer before I start trying to swim in them. So it may be a while before I get to that point (gotta work and save up too!), but my husband is supportive of me trying it out! A lot of people recommend Fin Fun tails to start with. I've seen a few of their tails in person and really like the sparkles on their limited edition tails! But I'm open to what tail makers other people suggest for beginners.

I'm also a writer! I have a BA in English and write for an eclectic array of websites, and I write fiction on the side. I've dabbled into writing mer-fiction recently, and it's been fun so far! I'm sure I'll learn a lot more from the forums that will help me write about mers better.

I also love cosplay, but I've never done it myself. I currently admire everyone else's skills and hope to try my hand at it one day!

Anyway, I'm glad to be here and am excited to be a part of the community!

Hi welcome. I am a very beginner amateurish sci fi/fantastic/Fantasy writer (and a girl who lose way too much time for her own good with writing bad yaoi/slash fanfictions a lot besides that ) and have very few mer focused stuff but some is so i m happy you do that too theyre is never enough of this stuff after all dont you think so?

Cosplay i love that! Ive donne it four times and it was lot of fun. Never did a Mermaid character cosplay though. Even if i did a scary mermaid Halloween costume last year and loved it but it was a normal costume not cosplay. I did my first with Sakura from Card Captor Sakura, then i did Final Fantasy 7 Aerith, next Suzumiya Haruhi from the show of the same name (all with their most iconic dress) and well the fourth and last untel today at least may not count as cosplay strictly speaking because its not based on anime plus its not a character but i did take à star trek tos science officer blue uniform and play a RP female vulcan medical officer character with it and it was very cool! If you like cosplay just do it!

Hello hello hello and welcome! Very nice to meet you It is important to be a strong swimmer before ever putting on a tail. The dolphin kick can be pretty tough and to tell you the truth, I don't think I do it quite right myself xD But it's a process. You'll get there <3 My usual suggestion is to invest in one of the better quality fins like the Mermaid Linden and swim with that and a cute pair of leggings. The tailskin is really just cosmetic and doesn't offer much in the way of help when it comes to the actual swimming. But it's almost impossible to do the dolphin kick at all let alone correct without a fin and wasting your time with the acrylic finfun fins is a bummer.

I am also a writer, although I don't have a degree. I've been working on the same fantasy novel for like 6 years now >.> Uhg I'm so lost and have a hard time sticking with it and writing often enough.
    The Magical Mystical MerFanc
    A Welsh Lake Monster with control of weather, water and water creatures.
    Resident sea monster, best friend of sharks and ducks, lover of the Deep Ocean.
    Known on all other social media as theAfanc

Thank you to both of you! I was talking to someone after posting yesterday, and she said that she likes the Mermaid Linden best (and I've seen others say the same thing), so that will probably be the one I invest in. Any other tips for learning to swim with a monofin? Is it something I can teach myself at my local pool, or should I find someone that can teach me? And once this whole pandemic thing is under control, hopefully I can meet the other mers in my pod too!

And yes, we can never have enough mer literature. But it's hard work! I did NaNoWriMo back in like...2011? (not mer-related)...and that 100-page manuscript has been sitting since then. One day, I'll finish it! But like you said, sometimes it's hard to find the time for it!

Quote Originally Posted by MerLace View Post
    Thank you to both of you! I was talking to someone after posting yesterday, and she said that she likes the Mermaid Linden best (and I've seen others say the same thing), so that will probably be the one I invest in. Any other tips for learning to swim with a monofin? Is it something I can teach myself at my local pool, or should I find someone that can teach me? And once this whole pandemic thing is under control, hopefully I can meet the other mers in my pod too!

And yes, we can never have enough mer literature. But it's hard work! I did NaNoWriMo back in like...2011? (not mer-related)...and that 100-page manuscript has been sitting since then. One day, I'll finish it! But like you said, sometimes it's hard to find the time for it!
    I've only been out with my Linden twice and I love it to death. I thought I would be a Finis mer for life but The Linden blew it out of the water. I would say you can teach yourself, but be patient. Anything is easier to learn with an instructor or at least someone who can see what you are doing, but there should be enough youtube info to self-teach if you are diligent. And other Podmates would probably be able to help you out too!

I've done NaNo and Camp NaNo many times but never actually won >.> 2011 was my first shot and was the closest I ever got with I believe 43k words. But yea...it is also sitting in my computer somewhere. I've tried going back to start a round of editing but I always get to about the same place before I get bored and give up.
    The Magical Mystical MerFanc
    A Welsh Lake Monster with control of weather, water and water creatures.
    Resident sea monster, best friend of sharks and ducks, lover of the Deep Ocean.
    Known on all other social media as theAfanc

I've been lurking since the beginning of the year, but I finally decided to create an account and introduce myself! You can call me Mer Lace.

Like many of you, I'm sure, I grew up loving merfolk and pretending to be a mermaid every time I went swimming. (Of course, I never had swim lessons or knew what the dolphin kick was, so I just kind of wiggled around and pretended my legs were stuck together haha) I didn't know that tail swimming was a thing until last year when I saw an acquaintance start sharing pictures on social media, and I've been curious ever since!

I want a monofin and mermaid tail, but I also recognize that I need to be a better swimmer before I start trying to swim in them. So it may be a while before I get to that point (gotta work and save up too!), but my husband is supportive of me trying it out! A lot of people recommend Fin Fun tails to start with. I've seen a few of their tails in person and really like the sparkles on their limited edition tails! But I'm open to what tail makers other people suggest for beginners.

I'm also a writer! I have a BA in English and write for an eclectic array of websites, and I write fiction on the side. I've dabbled into writing mer-fiction recently, and it's been fun so far! I'm sure I'll learn a lot more from the forums that will help me write about mers better.

I also love cosplay, but I've never done it myself. I currently admire everyone else's skills and hope to try my hand at it one day!

Anyway, I'm glad to be here and am excited to be a part of the community!
    Welcome! I am newer in mermaiding as well! I jumped on the mermaid thing when I saw a tail on wish (I knew they were bad tails, so I didn’t buy any) I realized that this could be an adult thing! Which I was so excited about! If you ever want support you can find me here!

In terms of your first tail if you like fin fun, they are wonderful! I went on a very long debate with myself to find out what tails worked best for what I wanted. I went back and forth between mertailor and a few others. I had to ask myself what I wanted the most out of my mermaid journey, and after doing my research I settled on a Mahina merfin! I have only gone swimming in it twice so far but I am so in love. I think the best advice I can give is to do as much research as you can, and that will pull you through.

I think it’s good you want to start by swimming first. I trained before I got my Mahina but it’s still a little bit of a learners curve when the monofin arrives!

I am also a writer when I have time to write so that’s so exciting! I would love to read your mermaid work! If I have any to share as well I can share mine.

Cosplay is such an art form and I think it’s this part of mermaiding I admire the most. I am still trying to hone in my mersona! It can be a challenge. But I think it’s the funnest part!

After reading this as well, the linden is STUNNING!!! I have heard wonderful things about it. Mertailor also makes really nice skins for it so it would be beautiful

I just got my Linden and I have to admit my FinFun AMP is now laying in my closet RIP I want to actually sell my new skin for it and get a guppy tbh. That or try and make some vinyl casing for a Fantasia because why doesn’t Coral Cove come in Guppy 🥺

Quote Originally Posted by MermaidMaura View Post
    After reading this as well, the linden is STUNNING!!! I have heard wonderful things about it. Mertailor also makes really nice skins for it so it would be beautiful
    Mertailor's Guppy tails are gorgeous! I've definitely had my eye on them too. Now I see why people have a collection of tails; it's so hard to pick just one! I'm also incredibly indecisive, so it might take forever before I settle on one haha

Quote Originally Posted by MermaidRonelle View Post
    I just got my Linden and I have to admit my FinFun AMP is now laying in my closet RIP I want to actually sell my new skin for it and get a guppy tbh. That or try and make some vinyl casing for a Fantasia because why doesn’t Coral Cove come in Guppy 梁
    Oh snap haha good to know, especially since the AMP has more features than Fin Fun's regular monofin. And for real! Those Fantasea designs are awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by MermaidMaura View Post
    Welcome! I am newer in mermaiding as well! I jumped on the mermaid thing when I saw a tail on wish (I knew they were bad tails, so I didn’t buy any) I realized that this could be an adult thing! Which I was so excited about! If you ever want support you can find me here!

In terms of your first tail if you like fin fun, they are wonderful! I went on a very long debate with myself to find out what tails worked best for what I wanted. I went back and forth between mertailor and a few others. I had to ask myself what I wanted the most out of my mermaid journey, and after doing my research I settled on a Mahina merfin! I have only gone swimming in it twice so far but I am so in love. I think the best advice I can give is to do as much research as you can, and that will pull you through.

I think it’s good you want to start by swimming first. I trained before I got my Mahina but it’s still a little bit of a learners curve when the monofin arrives!

I am also a writer when I have time to write so that’s so exciting! I would love to read your mermaid work! If I have any to share as well I can share mine.

Cosplay is such an art form and I think it’s this part of mermaiding I admire the most. I am still trying to hone in my mersona! It can be a challenge. But I think it’s the funnest part!
    When I have something that needs some peer review, I'll definitely hit you up! Since college, it's been difficult finding people that offer solid feedback, so I appreciate it!

Hi hi welcome to MerNetwork! Fellow Writing and Cosplaying Mer here! �� Everybody starts somewhere! I found that using a beginner friendly fin like the Linden or Fin Fun in a shallow (like 4 foot) public pool is a great way to practice the dolphin kick!