Thread: Writing a Merfolk Book?!

Senior Member Pod of New England MermanJamie's Avatar

Writing a Merfolk Book?!

I've been into writing for a long time, and I've picked it up again recently. Even though I'm only 14, I try to make the characters as relatable as possible, with experiences that I have had, or that my family and friends have had. I'm thinking of making a merfolk centered story for my next work. Naturally, I was drawn to all of the awesome people in this community for inspiration. What I have might change, but my ideas so far are that a young man or woman gets sucked into the Merfolk world by accident, and by this I mean finds out about the secret world by accident. He/She will likely have to help a friend from one of the two worlds. I'm thinking possibly help a mermaid/merman come to the human world, and guide them through it. I don't really know yet. I might change my ideas around, but I have no idea. I just know that I wanna write about merfolk, and somehow a plot will come to me. If you have any suggestions, I'd love to hear them. I'm hoping that I can hear from a ton of people. I really want this book to not just come from me, but from all my mer siblings on this community as well, so I can best write something that everyone here can enjoy, and feel like it represents us. (By this, I mean that I'd like to hear what a I don't know about any of you, but I am so ecstatic to start a new awesome piece. This might be a big project for a while!

Thanks for including our ideas! What kind of setting/theme are you going for? Are you into the H2O: Just Add Water or Mako Mermaids scene, where mermaids adjust to everyday life/vice versa? Or are you more into darker magical themes where the ways the two worlds work would be wildly different and essentially incompatible/unsafe? Namely, what kind of drama are you looking to focus on?

Interpersonal, like in H2O/Mako? Political/social tension? Strictly magical/adventure, where people just accept the idea of a mermaid and work together towards a common goal?

If you decide what tone you want the story to have, it'll be easier to make suggestions! Will it be lighthearted & fun? Dark & dangerous? Bloody & desperate? Maybe dramatic & surprising? Try to think of some more details!

.:YouTube:.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/MermaidAiera
    .:Facebook:.
    https://www.facebook.com/MermaidAiera/

^^^ Like me on Facebook for fan updates and booking!!! ^^^
    ^^^ Follow me on Instagram @The_Long_Island_Mermaid ((MermaidAiera)) ^^^

Wow, thanks MermaidAiera! I haven't really thought that far! I guess I might like suspense and drama at some points, but nothing gory or dark really. I might possibly want to explore a mermaid or merman having to adapt to human lifestyle at some point, but an overarching theme I think I want to tackle is the folklore behind merfolk. Their origins, and how their world works. Maybe set up a long prologue with that, explaining everything, and then flow into a young person accidentally finding out that merfolk exist! I'm really excited. Thanks for helping me clarify. I definitely want the merfolk in my book to have versatile personalities though. Just like in our community, there could be merfolk of every kind in this world! That's one thing I'm excited to tackle, how different types of merfolk, with different attitudes and personalities view the human world.

Hmm, so maybe something more along the lines of The 13th Year? Similar to a slice-of-life drama, where genuine interest turns into a complete adventure & merging of worlds?

It would be cool to see the story in reverse for once; instead of a human turning mer, a mer turning human! Like The 13th Year and a dash of Mako Mermaids, but opposite. I'd love to see a mermaid interested in the human world (with no direct desire to become one) before suddenly losing their fins. Is this an idea that suits your image?

EDIT: The prologue could be a merman/maid being bored with mermaid history & being interested in human history instead, comparing and contrasting the two. Then flash forward to two good friends hanging out and one is becoming interested in the mermaid world. One friend seems to know a LOT, then it is revealed they're the merman/maid from the prologue and they'd unexpectedly transformed into a human and have been living on land ever since.

.:YouTube:.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/MermaidAiera
    .:Facebook:.
    https://www.facebook.com/MermaidAiera/

^^^ Like me on Facebook for fan updates and booking!!! ^^^
    ^^^ Follow me on Instagram @The_Long_Island_Mermaid ((MermaidAiera)) ^^^

I definitely think I could expand on this. I could make something great from the idea. It would be fun. When I start writing, I will post a link to it where people can read as I write it.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    I created a thread for this called the Merfolk Writer's guild. I even provided a few links to my own work, and some helpful tips.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using MerNetwork mobile app

Wow! I'd love to read it soon! Maybe you could have a few merfolk who want to become human and a few humans who want to even hurt us merfolk so it could add a bit of tension! Maybe even a bit of cute romance! But, this is all up to you! Pick your favorite ideas! Either way I'd still love to read it! <3 Good Luck ~Mermaid Kisses, Starfish Wishes ~Mermaid Nia

Sent from my B1-730 using MerNetwork mobile app
    Sea Life's Beauty

Wow, thanks so much Nia! I'm so excited. What I think I might do is introduce a mermaid/man who has the exact opposite personality and ideals as a human he/she meets. I'm probably going to use the idea I talked about earlier, and have the two become friends. I'm not really sure where I'll take it from there, but I have some ideas!

Also, Dylan, I haven't read your post yet, but I did read part of your book on Patreon. It was really good! I'll definitely check out your thread.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Thanks. It's been a lot of work to get it to where it is. I've actually made some updates to the chapters or I will be soon. Homework has taken most of my time.

Check it out if you haven't do so recently and keep checking back in.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using MerNetwork mobile app

I was impressed with your book about mermaids. I got so caught up that I forgot about writing my essay for university. It's a good thing I have extended essay topics that will help me get through the assignment faster. And help me get a high score.
    Last edited by RobertWalker; 01-08-2023 at 08:45 AM.