Thread: Mermaiding with Scoliosis?

Mermaiding with Scoliosis?

CW: Medical talk

Hi friends! Long time to see! Finley here! So -- question pertaining to my extended absence. I am a mermaid with some pretty severe scoliosis. And I recently was told that I am going to have to get a spinal fusion for the sake of my long term health. For those of you that don't know what a spinal fusion surgery is, basically they take several vertebrae in your spine and forcibly lock them together as one bone -- reinforcing them with metal rods. Now from what I've been told, it seems likely that only a portion of my spine is going to be fused, meaning I should THEORETICALLY still be able to swim with a tail. So I was wondering. Are there any other fused or scoliotic mermaids here? I know this is a bit of a heavy niche, but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask. Thanks for your time guys!

I've met a few people with scoliosis. One guy even showed me what is spine looked like.....looked painful. He told me that only certain motions hurt, but against his doctor's advice, he kept doing things he probably should not have been doing. I haven't been in contact with him in a few years, so I don't know how he's doing now.

As far as finding someone on this site who shares in your condition, that may be a long shot. Since forums in general are dying out, there is not much activity here. You shouldn't let that stop you from trying to swim though. I got into this hobby a few years ago and really like it. Although if your doctor advises against it, then listen to the doctor.

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    I was born with heavy scoliosis, but the only time I did have problems with it was when I let my smart relatives talk me into "showing it to a doctor", who then poked around my back, giving me the very first back pain of my life.

Now I don't know how bad yours is, but I'd go with a lot of swimming and physical therapy/exercise. I wouldn't let anyone mess around my spine with metal rods unless I was completely unable to move (probably not even then).
    I could imagine such a procedure would interfere with tailswimming (as you need to bend your spine), don't know anyone who underwent that surgery, though.
    Best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Echidna View Post
    I was born with heavy scoliosis, but the only time I did have problems with it was when I let my smart relatives talk me into "showing it to a doctor", who then poked around my back, giving me the very first back pain of my life.

Now I don't know how bad yours is, but I'd go with a lot of swimming and physical therapy/exercise. I wouldn't let anyone mess around my spine with metal rods unless I was completely unable to move (probably not even then).
    I could imagine such a procedure would interfere with tailswimming (as you need to bend your spine), don't know anyone who underwent that surgery, though.
    Best of luck.
    It is unfortunately very severe. I have two major curves in my spine. One sitting at 70 degrees up top and 45 on the bottom. If I leave it be, there's a good chance my ribs will continue to crush my respiratory system -- which they're already doing. I wouldn't survive past my 40s or 50s. So while I appreciate the sentiment and understand the fear around the operation -- it's a necessary evil and one that is really misunderstood. The surgery is surprisingly common place these days. Thanks for weighing in though! I appreciate the good luck wishes! <3

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    that sounds as if you don't have much of a choice.

I hope this goes well for you and you will be able to continue tailswimming regardless.

My sister was in much of a similar situation she also had two major curves in her back and had to get a spinal fusion. She currently owns a fin fun tail and mono fin and swims with me frequently. Of course your ability to swim depends heavily on which part of your spine they fused and how many mobile vertebrae you have left. for instance my sister has 3 mobile vertebrae at the neck and 3 at the tail bone meaning that she can do the dolphin kick it just hurts her to swim for an extended period of time. And don't worry guys i got my sisters permission to post this.