Thread: San Diego peeps:

San Diego peeps:

What are some good places to swim in the ocean in San Diego? I've only been swimming in pools so far, but I'm a pretty experienced swimmer so I think I'm ready to try open water now! Side note: I've been wanting to do a photoshoot at La Jolla Cove, but idk how the sea lions are gonna react to seeing a mermaid haha have any of you guys been around them in a tail before/how have they reacted to it?

Senior Member Pod of Cali Cerulean's Avatar
    You have good taste in names I see

I've only ever been in pools so far but considered going around in mission bay but the water can be meh. Not as nice as the ocean of course, and busy with boats etc if you catch it when a lot of people are out. Other than that same as you there are a few spots in la jolla that I know would look really nice in pictures or be a fun swim. The tide pools would look good in photos as well.

I think a good intermediary step would be going to the cove in your monofin to get used to the rocks and area then slipping the tail on during a day where the waves are calm, hopefully during high tide. Theres a website where you can check the surf report and conditions in the cove before you decide out.... I'm also interested to see how the sea lions react hahah

Thanks for the tips! I've gone snorkeling at La Jolla Cove a few times and the water is sooo nice and clear, but I am kinda worried about the rocks ripping up my tail That's a good idea about just trying it with just the monofin first tho! Maybe I could even bring some mermaid scale leggings so it'll look more the part too And I'll let you know how the sea lions react if no one else comments on it first They seem like pretty friendly and curious animals
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerulean View Post
    You have good taste in names I see

I've only ever been in pools so far but considered going around in mission bay but the water can be meh. Not as nice as the ocean of course, and busy with boats etc if you catch it when a lot of people are out. Other than that same as you there are a few spots in la jolla that I know would look really nice in pictures or be a fun swim. The tide pools would look good in photos as well.

I think a good intermediary step would be going to the cove in your monofin to get used to the rocks and area then slipping the tail on during a day where the waves are calm, hopefully during high tide. Theres a website where you can check the surf report and conditions in the cove before you decide out.... I'm also interested to see how the sea lions react hahah
    Sent from my SM-G960U using MerNetwork mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Cerulean.Mermaidd View Post
    Thanks for the tips! I've gone snorkeling at La Jolla Cove a few times and the water is sooo nice and clear, but I am kinda worried about the rocks ripping up my tail That's a good idea about just trying it with just the monofin first tho! Maybe I could even bring some mermaid scale leggings so it'll look more the part too And I'll let you know how the sea lions react if no one else comments on it first They seem like pretty friendly and curious animals

I got this video of them swimming right underneath me when I was snorkeling at the cove last year https://www.instagram.com/p/B_L1xvfF...d=q1whn8ndkx24

Senior Member Pod of Cali Cerulean's Avatar
    That's a really good video~ And yeah the rocks is more what I'd be thinking about. I think it would be okay if you practiced a few times in the monofin though

The sea lions are friendly and adorable! I took a walk down by the cove a week or so ago at night and it was cute to see them sleeping together on a rock