Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Finfolk knock-off alert August 2020

Thanks for doing this. I spoke with Iona briefly about me tackling updating the tail maker review page, the list of tail makers, and the blacklist. I think an update that includes info about knock off tails will really help too. It's going to be a bit of an undertaking, but I think it's important to be done!

Senior Member Pod of The South Slim's Avatar
    It's very much needed. There are two scammer beware groups on Facebook that you might find some resources in to obtain more information. Just keep in mind one of those groups within the comment thread, knock off tends to a hot drama topic. Many sees it a stolen artwork and not safe however a few sees it an affordable way to buy a tail that one may not had been able to afford. The debate eventually lead from only one group to two groups within Facebook. As long as you keep things fact based without opinions, you should be fine. It's better to be safe than sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by MerNetworkMod View Post
    Thanks for doing this. I spoke with Iona briefly about me tackling updating the tail maker review page, the list of tail makers, and the blacklist. I think an update that includes info about knock off tails will really help too. It's going to be a bit of an undertaking, but I think it's important to be done!
    When you make the impossible become possible, that when the magic happens!

Survivor of cyberbullies

I am so glad that this is helping change things and make the network better, and that we have multiple places to share and warn other merfolk. I have been struggling with the store still at this time, they are still very much using stolen artwork and are ripping off oblivious artists, using those tails, and their attempt at gas lighting didn't work and they have not replied back to me nor do I think they will. Reporting the FB page seems to have done nothing as well. Heck, I even tried to get a hold of our local news papers, and they completely blew me off. At this point, I'm waiting to hear back from Finfolk to see if they got my email to them about all of this, before I continue to apply pressure to the boutique.

If anyone has any tips/tricks that can help with this, please let me know, everything that can make this easier is very much appreciated

Some general research I was doing led me to something. Are these counterfeiters operating in the USA? If they are, then maybe the original maker can go after them. Outside the country is a lot harder. If they are operating in Europe, it's difficult, but usually can be done. Other countries will make it near impossible if they even do anything. Alternatively, you might be able to reach out to popular YouTubers and explain the situation to them. If they agree to act on it, we might get funny videos of the confrontation...sometimes resulting in these counterfeiters changing their phone numbers if they don't completely shut down.

Quote Originally Posted by K Swim View Post
    Some general research I was doing led me to something. Are these counterfeiters operating in the USA? If they are, then maybe the original maker can go after them. Outside the country is a lot harder. If they are operating in Europe, it's difficult, but usually can be done. Other countries will make it near impossible if they even do anything. Alternatively, you might be able to reach out to popular YouTubers and explain the situation to them. If they agree to act on it, we might get funny videos of the confrontation...sometimes resulting in these counterfeiters changing their phone numbers if they don't completely shut down.
    The Boutique is operating in the U.S. but the manufacturers of the tails are out of the country, and sounds to be over in Asia somewhere. They also seem to be the same ones that plague Finfolk on a constant with their knock offs. I'm thinking I'll be doing that next, messaging in the FB group since I know Raina is in there, and then maybe asking Merman Maui and the other ambassadors of Finfolk if they would be able to help out as well. First though, I want to make sure I get the email back from Finfolk

So if I had to guess, they are possibly ordering them in mass from Chinese sellers. Although there are a lot of reputable brands in China, there are also a lot of knockoff sellers (no brand name at all) that produce and sell a mass amount of parts and products for extremely cheap cost and extremely cheap quality. My guess would be that they are ordering in bulk from the knockoff sellers, then individually in their little store for a little profit. Sadly though, its an increased cost but still the cheap quality.

So if I had to guess, they are possibly ordering them in mass from Chinese sellers. Although there are a lot of reputable brands in China, there are also a lot of knockoff sellers (no brand name at all) that produce and sell a mass amount of parts and products for extremely cheap cost and extremely cheap quality. My guess would be that they are ordering in bulk from the knockoff sellers, then individually in their little store for a little profit. Sadly though, its an increased cost but still the cheap quality.

That, my friend, is exactly what they are doing. The boutique is also trying their absolute best to try and keep that silent as well, since they know just how much trouble they'll be in. It sounds like the manufactures may have a name though, and that, along with the exact part of the country they work from, are the only two things I don't have. And I know for a fact I won't get that information from the boutique, and the more I try to press them for it, the quicker I'll be banned and won't have any way to see what they're doing

Well it's legal for them to sell them, but it is illegal if they are trying to pass them off as the original. In that case, the only one who could really start a legal battle is the original manufacturer. About the most you could do is testify as a witness but only if they asked you to.

Alternatively, there are popular YouTubers who record videos of them confronting these types. The culprits get shamed while the rest of us get a video to laugh at. Most of their videos focus on recorded calls with scam telemarketers, but I'm sure one of them might be willing to go after counterfeiters.

Sent from my SM-N950U using MerNetwork mobile app

Well it's legal for them to sell them, but it is illegal if they are trying to pass them off as the original. In that case, the only one who could really start a legal battle is the original manufacturer. About the most you could do is testify as a witness but only if they asked you to.

Alternatively, there are popular YouTubers who record videos of them confronting these types. The culprits get shamed while the rest of us get a video to laugh at. Most of their videos focus on recorded calls with scam telemarketers, but I'm sure one of them might be willing to go after counterfeiters.

Sent from my SM-N950U using MerNetwork mobile app
    It's illegal in my state to sell counterfeit items and stolen art, so the boutique can very well be brought down by FinFolk if FFP really wants to do so to them. The manufacturer, since they are over in Asia somewhere, cannot be brought to court, since they are in a Country with different laws than the U.S., all that can be done there, is let Finfolk know, and make posts and videos warning about the fraud tail makers being at it again, and hoping they aren't supplying any other U.S. stores/businesses

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    I've seen a few videos on youtube where people have gotten these tails for their kids. The "monofin" is a vinyl sheet with a pair of flippers glued to it.
    Formerly known as ireneho

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Jaffa View Post
    I've seen a few videos on youtube where people have gotten these tails for their kids. The "monofin" is a vinyl sheet with a pair of flippers glued to it.
    Yup, and the boutique probably is using those in the tails they have, and if anyone has actually bought any of the tails, will probably be getting those death traps with the skins.... I sent a message to the Better Business Bureau today, and our local news channel's investigators are also now looking into it. I'm still hoping to hear from Finfolk though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Jaffa View Post
    I've seen those on Aliexpress. When I was younger, my grandfather had a lot of building materials from the houses he built. Among that was plexi-glass that looked probably stronger than what you described....but the weak muscles in my arms were able break it with a little bit of effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Finnesota_Mermaid View Post
    , will probably be getting those death traps with the skins....
    Death traps.....sounds a bit extreme, but probably true.

I've seen those on Aliexpress. When I was younger, my grandfather had a lot of building materials from the houses he built. Among that was plexi-glass that looked probably stronger than what you described....but the weak muscles in my arms were able break it with a little bit of effort.

Death traps.....sounds a bit extreme, but probably true.
    Those "monofins" are very dangerous, they are not water worthy, are not made with safety in mind, and from youtube videos I have seen, they have no propulsion and are difficult to get out of. They are imo not to be taken lightly, safety matters and swimmers lives matter

Iris has a video that really drives it home, she shows how dangerous they are;
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2n3GA6TXCo

Can I also say how sad it is to see the striking amount of people with videos unboxing bootleg tails? Some of them even say in the caption that they're bootlegs The number seems to be slowly growing and it concerns me...

I don't mean to sound cruel by saying this (because it is really cruel) but sometimes no one will listen to logic until something goes horribly wrong. In this case, it might be AFTER a lot of people get hurt before attention is brought to the matter. I totally agree that tails cost a lot and some people want to live their dreams, but are struggling with finances so they buy the cheapest they can find. Because of that, these counterfeiters capitalize on that and are probably already prepared to run away and set up shop somewhere else if they ever get found out. Best we can do is keep them on the run until they can't afford to run anymore.

In my IT job, I tell people all the time to avoid buying cheap parts...sometimes as simple as toner cartridges for printers. I know those are expensive, but not as expensive as buying a new printer when the cheap quality ink from the cheap cartridges dries too quickly and ruins the printing heads....or don't dry quick enough and make a mess all over the rollers everywhere else inside the printers