Thread: Idea for tops built over a skin-tone leotard

Idea for tops built over a skin-tone leotard

So I was browsing Aliexpress last night looking at mermaid-ish jewellery, and came across this & these in the 'more to love' section right at the bottom of the page (probably because I'd been looking at regular swimsuits last time I was on aliexpress). While those ones are pretty terrible, it did get me thinking about building a top based on a nude coloured leotard base.

I figure I could sew one with a full bra or swim corset inside then not worry about anything breaking or moving and decorate however I like over the top. I could add body markings, like scales, or tattoo's or gills without messing around with makeup/paint or worrying about If it's water safe or it coming off or smudging in the water. Body jewellery could be sewn onto it as well, so less chance of belts or bracelets/armbands, shifting or getting lost while swimming. There are some nice lace/embroidered/sequined appliques meant for bridal stuff on aliexpress that could be dyed with polyester dye, that would look awesome as tops/belts/etc too. Since I hate the way sunscreen feels/smells and sitting around in the sun is not so great for my skin, a long sleeve version would let me skip the sunscreen without ending up with skin cancer too.

What are your thoughts? anyone else tried this? What do people think of sewing the tail (fabric) to the leotard so the tail can't slip down or making it all one piece? I was thinking with a zip the full length if the tail so I can remove the lower part for walking or if I get in trouble in the water, but not sure if it's a good idea or not.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    They're what I posted in another thread. They are pretty to look at but, I'm kinda iffy about gif photos. I rather see the real thing, so I can decide whether its worth the money to buy. Atm, they're all computer generated swimwear. Hard to tell how much the colors will pop or if its see thru or not.
    Formerly known as ireneho

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Jaffa View Post
    They're what I posted in another thread. They are pretty to look at but, I'm kinda iffy about gif photos. I rather see the real thing, so I can decide whether its worth the money to buy. Atm, they're all computer generated swimwear. Hard to tell how much the colors will pop or if its see thru or not.
    I must have missed that thread. The Aliexpress ones are pretty terrible, I was talking about sewing my own.

There are some who have made really nice ones.

Creature Fins did it, over top of powermesh (similar to nylon material)

ArtofAngel on Etsy makes tops and sleeves

And theres another artist who prints them as scales on it.

, I was talking about sewing my own.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Jaffa View Post
    They're what I posted in another thread. They are pretty to look at but, I'm kinda iffy about gif photos. I rather see the real Erasmus home, so I can decide whether its worth the money to buy. Atm, they're all computer generated swimwear. Hard to tell how much the colors will pop or if its see thru or not.
    https://www.pikoloapartments.com/
    , I was talking about sewing my own.
    Last edited by JOhanezJa; 02-27-2023 at 08:58 AM.