Thread: Extended tail ideas - Feedback wanted

Extended tail ideas - Feedback wanted

So I've been messing around with an idea for an extended tail for a while now. Solely theoretical, since I don't have the resources to build it currently. I started by thinking about the way that dolphins & whales swim and trying to duplicate the mechanics behind that, after all why re-invent the wheel.

I was thinking short rigid sections that are hinged together with a limited angle of movement between each section (the vertebra), so that the tail will flex in a natural seeming manner when the wearer kicks, with something that will pull and/or push the 'vertebra' back to a straight/neutral position when there is no other forces acting on it. Personally one of my pet peeves it seeing a big bend at the knees when someone is swimming in a tail, so I was also thinking of something to inhibit bending the knees too much, possibly just something light that adds only a little pressure, but can still bend past it, so the swimmer can feel when the should stop bending, alternatively something that prevents the swimmer bending their knees past that point. needless to say, this is a tail designed to always have someone present to help in cases of difficulty. I'm also thinking of padding out around the knees to create a smooth taper from hip to toe, either built into the tail, or strapped on before the tail is put on, I can test that idea on the fabric tail I'm saving to make atm, at least.

Would love to hear anyone's thoughts on my ideas and any feedback from anyone who has used or built an extended tail before (since I've done neither).

It's an interesting idea, but I wonder how heavy such a mechanism should be. You should contact Mermaid Aquata and see how she did hers (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gd4YIeqpZcs)

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    I have seen an extended tail on aliexpress. It is a snake tail, though the seller says not swimmable, there is a video of several swimming snakes.
    Here it is.
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...archweb201603_
    Formerly known as ireneho

Interesting, but I how on earth would you propel yourself without a fin? I guess eels do it.

extended tails?... "lunocet"... but it's not available anymore... and noone who has one will get rid of it
    just a random Kelpie... "wanna come to my lake?"

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Jaffa View Post
    I have seen an extended tail on aliexpress. It is a snake tail, though the seller says not swimmable, there is a video of several swimming snakes.
    Here it is.
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...archweb201603_
    nice find!

they probably said "not swimmable" for liability reasons.
    So if someone supersmart fills in theirs with a load of wool and then drowns, they can't be held accountable.

Those look pretty similar to mine, just with a black scale print on each of them.
    Swimming is possible, but of course it will be quite slow, with a lot of posing and lounging involved.
    And you need really deep water for this to look good, forget about the average pool.

Senior Member Pod of Cali Merman Storm's Avatar
    I own a Lunocet. I have made cloth skins for it, and have had a silicone skin made for it. As far as I know, I have the only silicone / Lunocet tail ever made, and it may forever be the only one ever made. Sigh.
    It is made just the way Starfire has described, with vertebrae and a rubber insert that provides a spring return force to straighten them. There are two hinge points.
    Ive been wondering if all the complication of the Lunocet mechanism is really needed. maybe just a flat sheet of material between your feet and the fin would work just as well. That is, when you cut a fin out of poly-carbonate, just add a rectangular section between your feet and the working part of the fin.
    Are you a Frozen fan? Frozen fanfiction:
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10952902/1/Rain-of-a-Child-s-Tear

Let the storm rage on!

I don’t know if this was already said, but I would check out Nerdmaid Faith’s recent video because they built a tail for the Siren show with a knee insert and she shows how that works on there. It’s a good tail for the inspiration

I've seen that video. Agreed that tail is freaking cool and looks like it would be awesome to use just once at least. I am not sure if I would want to own one that long though. It was still a good video though.

Sent from my SM-N950U using MerNetwork mobile app

Thanks @Mermaid_Eos for introducing me to Nerdmaid Faith - I watched that Siren Video (here it is) and wow what a costume! Also, Faith is a hoot. I'm totally subscribing to her!