Thread: Any tips for mermaiding in a bathtub?

Any tips for mermaiding in a bathtub?

Hi I'm somewhat new here.

I don't really like going to public pools because they probably won't allow tails and I'm a male so it makes it a lot harder. As of now, I sometimes use my mermaid tail in the tub, but it's kind of boring just sitting there. Any suggestions?

I tried that once. It was not comfortable at all. I have enough space in my unfinished basement to set up a small pool (not a deep one). That was better, but not as enjoyable as being in deeper water.

Open water is my preferred place however all pools should have a document, which says what is allowed and what not. The German term for it is "Badeordnung". If it is not allowed by default, you may be able to bypass that by renting a lane etc.

Well i'm a girl and rather new to mermaiding but for now i cant go elsewhere than the bathtub either because covid stuff make the pool closed and dangerous where i am for now until undetermined date. So i havent really found any very interesting stuff to do mermaiding in a bathtub yet but at least your not alone here we have the same problem.

I also take mine to a lake since it's much easier than calling pool owners to explain and ask permission. Plus the one I go to, I rarely see anyone else show up while I'm there so I don't have to be concerned with social distance or the stupid face mask.

Sent from my SM-N950U using MerNetwork mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by K Swim View Post
    I tried that once. It was not comfortable at all. I have enough space in my unfinished basement to set up a small pool (not a deep one). That was better, but not as enjoyable as being in deeper water.
    What kind of small pool did you use? I was thinking of getting one.

10ft diameter (I know) and 30 inch deep (I think). Seems easy to maintain in an unfinished basement since it is indoors, but the water is almost always too cold for comfort. I don't have any method to warm it up except to drain a little and empty the entire contents of my water heater into it, wait for it to warm up more water, then repeat 2 or 3 times. So instead, I've just been going to the lake.

Sent from my SM-N950U using MerNetwork mobile app

Do you have the product name? All the pools I look for don't look to great.

Intex if I remember correctly. Has an inflatable rim that makes the walls of the pool rise as water is added.

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by K Swim View Post
    Intex if I remember correctly. Has an inflatable rim that makes the walls of the pool rise as water is added.
    I have one (5m diameter), it's possible to swim rounds in it, so not that bad if you get a bigger one.
    Easy to set up and very cheap.
    Downside is, the water never warms up, I don't know why.
    We had 2 weeks of 30°C here, and the water never got over 21°. Now it's down to 15°C.
    I don't quite get it, because it's so shallow, and even the lakes here are warmer than that, but oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by Echidna View Post
    I have one (5m diameter), it's possible to swim rounds in it, so not that bad if you get a bigger one.
    Easy to set up and very cheap.
    Downside is, the water never warms up, I don't know why.
    We had 2 weeks of 30°C here, and the water never got over 21°. Now it's down to 15°C.
    I don't quite get it, because it's so shallow, and even the lakes here are warmer than that, but oh well.
    I can swim small circles in it without a tail, but with a tail, I can only sit in it. I had set up mine a few times in my unfinished basement. Since it is within the climate control with the rest of my house, the water feels like its freezing when I get into it. I have searched for some cheap method to warm up the water without the waste of draining some of it then emptying all the hot water out of my water heater into it 2 or 3 times. I have a much bigger one (too big for the basement) but am afraid to set it up in my backyard because it would draw in neighborhood kids and I don't want to take the risk of bad things that can come from that.

Add Echidna on Facebook
    if you have a big fin in your tail, yes that would make swimming in an Intex pool not feasible. Maybe you can take it out for now?
    I mostly swim in snaketails, that works nicely^^

Is your backyard open, no fences or lockable doors?
    Mine is pretty much enclosed, and I also have a heavy poolcover in place when I'm not in the garden, impossible for children to remove.
    Of course, I have to deal with the unhealthily curious neighbors who will sit in their windows with binoculars gaping, but then germans do that all the time no matter what you're doing anyway, so I'm used to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Echidna View Post
    Is your backyard open, no fences or lockable doors?
    Yes, it's wide open and there are neighborhood kids running around everywhere all the time. I could put a chain-link fence around my yard and a lock on the gate, but then I would most likely get them knocking on my door all the time asking if they could swim in it. I wouldn't want to be mean and refuse, so I would only allow them as long as their parents were there to supervise...and I'm sure they would see that as me telling them "no." Worse, some might decide to climb over the fence to use it anyway when I am not home and then try to pin the blame on me if something goes wrong. I would love to install a wooden privacy fence that would be taller and hard to climb over, but I'd be required to remove it before I moved out and I don't plan on staying forever where I am currently living. So in the end, I find it easier to drive out to the lake to swim.

Add Echidna on Facebook
    aw, well.
    That might be one of the advantages of living in Europe. Most houses and backyards are built like Area 51 security-wise
    on the flipside, if someone breaks in and uses your pool without your knowledge or permission and something happens to them, YOU will be legally persecuted because you failed to set up your yard in a burglar-safe fashion...

if there was a lake around here I could safely swim in, I'd prefer that to any pool tbh.
    (there is one, but it's so muddy and dirty you can't see anything below the surface)

In my neighborhood, even if I did have a fence with a locked gate and "No Trespassing" signs, someone would still invent reasons to make it my fault. I could fit a small pool in my unfinished basement, but the large pool is just too big. Plus, I have no easy way to keep the water warm, so even the small pools are not worth it sometimes.

Junior Member Pod of the Midwest Runa's Avatar

Follow Runa on Tumblr
    I think a bathtub mermaid is a really cute concept for a photoshoot!
    But there's not much else you can manage to do in a bathtub either. I miss the pools being open!!

If you fill the tub enough, it's fun to go underwater and pretend like im in a mermaid tank and have people watching. If you're interested in being a professional merman this is a good way to practice opening eyes underwater and making facial expressions comfortably.

~Mermaid Liv~
    Make life magical!
    Mermaidliv.com