Thread: Elhers Danlose (EDS) and Mermaiding

Junior Member Pod of Cali Sairie's Avatar

Elhers Danlose (EDS) and Mermaiding

Hello I wasn't sure were to put this, but I figured this was likely my best bet. I was wondering if there is anyone else in the community who are also Zebras? I would love to connect and maybe trade tips/tricks for mermaiding with this often times frustrating condition.

I'm Just gunna list a couple questions bellow to get the convo started.

As a zebra what monofins have you used that work best for you, and what tails do you use them with? (different ones for different tails Ect.)

Have you ever swam in a full silicone tail? If so did you find it to be a problem on your joins as a Zebra?

Do you have a warm up routine before swimming, or something you like to do after? (to help manage possible pain levels?)

If you have any questions as a fellow zebra I'll be glad to answer, so please feel free to ask. It's always nice to connect with others who get it. ^_^

To answer the questions above mysel: The monofin I currently use is the Mermaid Linden with my Finfolk fabric tail, and it swims like a dream for me. I have no pain on my ankles and I don't seem to get any muscle cramps with this one. I also feel like I can move much easier and faster with this one oddly.

The mono fin I was using before that was the Finis Rapid, I used this for years before I had a tail with no issues, and it was great in my Finfolk fabric tail too. I just felt like I had to put waaay more force behind my kicks with it, and I was unable to maneuver well. Also by the end of an hour I would always end up with foot cramps. I had to get a new one because the straps, even replaced, would not stay tightened. (Likely a cause of my muscle cramps)

I have also tried the Finis Shooter in the Finfolk fabrictail, and that (For me) was a huge nope. I was unable to walk for 24 hours, and my ankles were very sore for days after. I was disappointed cuz I know a lot of mermaids love this mono fins in there Finfolks, and I was hoping I would too.

I would love to hear answers on the second question is relation to EDS because I'm trying to figure out if swimming in a full silicone tail would be possible for me, or if i may want to stick with a partial silicone one, such as Finfolks Mythics. Please feel free to ask questions bellow, I'll answer if I can I'm excited to maybe hear from, and connect with other mermaid zebras (Merbras??? Zebmers???) Lol

I don't currently have one before swimming, but I do make sure to either sit in a hot tub for 30 min after swimming (when possible) or take a hot shower to help relax my muscles and help reduce soreness the next day.

I have Ehlers Danlos Syndrome as well and unfortunately I haven't been swimming for years. I want to get back into it as soon as possible. I have a 2tails fin and have been wanting to get a mertailor fabric tail. The monofin the 2tails uses is very small and the feet pockets cause blisters and skin tearing, especially with our fragile skin. Personally, I will never dare to get a silicone tail. It's just too heavy. Since I haven't swam in awhile and in that time my condition has progressed, I can't give much advice besides drinking tons of water and doing stretches that don't tear your joints out. That's what I do for my cycling.

Quote Originally Posted by darcyexene View Post
    I have Ehlers Danlos Syndrome as well and unfortunately I haven't been swimming for years. I want to get back into it as soon as possible. I have a 2tails fin and have been wanting to get a mertailor fabric tail. The monofin the 2tails uses is very small and the feet pockets cause blisters and skin tearing, especially with our fragile skin. Personally, I will never dare to get a silicone tail. It's just too heavy. Since I haven't swam in awhile and in that time my condition has progressed, I can't give much advice besides drinking tons of water and doing stretches that don't tear your joints out. That's what I do for my cycling.
    Hello It's nice to meet you. I'm sorry to hear that you have been unable to swim for so long. Mertailers tails have a lot of great fabric options and I hear you can do custom fabric tails too. (Not to certain about that though.) I really hope you can get back into swimming again soon though. It's the one activity that seems to be easiest on me. I can also understand on the silicone tails. Thats kinda what I'm debating now haha. I would have to have someone hold my fin and lift me body if I was in one to get in the pool because that much weight out of water I know would not be good on my ankles, but I've heard and read that they become pretty weightless once in the water which is why I'm curious to try one.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    hey, one of the mers on my team has EDS! They have instagram if you wanted to reach out and chat with them! Just tell them Raina sent you https://www.instagram.com/Theizzeh/

Quote Originally Posted by AniaR View Post
    hey, one of the mers on my team has EDS! They have instagram if you wanted to reach out and chat with them! Just tell them Raina sent you https://www.instagram.com/Theizzeh/
    Thank you, I'll definitely do that!