Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mermaid Liara's grand sequin tail project

Mermaid Liara's grand sequin tail project

Hi everyone!

Ever since seeing @mermaidceline 's beautiful sequin tails, I've wanted one of my own. After a year of researching and planning, the moment is finally here: I am going to make my own sequin tail! In this thread I will regularly post updates.

I am going to use Mermaid Ilonka's method for my sequins, found her thread here a while ago. I am going to use glitter vinyl for the fluke and neoprene for the body. The sequins were provided by @odyceastudios. This is a new tailmaking company definitely worth checking out!

Without further ado, here is my tail design!

The name of my tail shall be RISING PHOENIX! Credit for the design goes to @theamsterdammermaid She makes amazing tail designs for a reasonable price, find her on insta

I am so excited!

Sent from my SM-N960F using MerNetwork mobile app
    Last edited by MermaidLiara; 11-01-2020 at 11:15 AM.

How much would be to make mine

Mermaid Auquita

Can't afford the monofin yet, so I made a template of the monofin I want to use. It's the Waterway Mermaid. I wanted a big monofin with good propulsion, feet close together and a natural mermaid shape.

The template will come in handy when I cut the fluke.
    Last edited by MermaidLiara; 11-01-2020 at 11:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MermaidLiara View Post
    WhatsApp Image 2020-10-29 at 20.17.16 (3) by Magnolia Didi, on Flickr

Can't afford the monofin yet, so I made a template of the monofin I want to use. It's the Waterway Mermaid. I wanted a big monofin with good propulsion, feet close together and a natural mermaid shape.

The template will come in handy when I cut the fluke.
    I got this mermaid top would u like to buy this

Mermaid Auquita

Finished the base body! It's still a litte long, but I will trim it later

Mermaid Auquita

Cutting the fluke out of the glitter vinyl!

Can u make me one

Mermaid Auquita

Still a little foldy, but here's my fluke! It is SO fun to look at. Really happy with how it came out. And it glitters like crazy, the photos don't do the glitter justice!

Quote Originally Posted by mythofthewitch View Post
    Can u make me one

Mermaid Auquita
    Afraid not If this project is a big success I might open the occasional commission, but honestly I doubt it.

Would u like to buy this I’ll charge 50 buck

Mermaid Auquita

Here are photos of the sequins I will use, by the way . Of the first photo I will only use the yellow and orange sequins. I loved the tone of the red sequins, but they didn't survive my chlorine test nor my sandpaper test, so I can't use them for a tail, or anything, really. The yellow and orange sequins made it through all the tests, and I love them. I had a hard time finding proper red colored iridiscent sequins. Many of them have a blue-purplish sheen. That's not a look I want for this fiery tail. The red sequins are the most important for my tail. After searching my fins off I found the red sequins from the 2nd photo. They are a deep, fiery , shiny red and I am in love with them. They survived all tests I subjected them to. They are SLIGHTLY transparent, but since I have a red base for my body, that won't matter. I will not use the orange ones from the second photo, because they are TOO transparent.
    Last edited by MermaidLiara; 11-01-2020 at 11:43 AM.

If this brings success can u open up a commission for me

Mermaid Auquita

The tail looks good like seriously cool. It like combining power in the wear , wow!!!

Quote Originally Posted by scilover View Post
    The tail looks good like seriously cool. It like combining power in the wear , wow!!!
    Thank you!

Senior Member Pod of Oceania The Water Phoenix's Avatar
    I love, LOVE the colored sequins you've chosen. It's gonna look fantastic when it's finished!
    Be the pilot of your dreams

**The Water Phoenix: A Western Australian mer**

Instagram: thephoenixmer

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Ooo! I love the colors you chose! They'll be able to spot you from the other side of the swimming complex!
    Formerly known as ireneho

This looks so lovely!!! Can't wait to see your progress. The tail I'm working on is going to have some sequins too so you inspire me darling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@The Water Phoenix, Mermaid Jaffa and TheChimera: Thank you all! <3 I appreciate your comments!

The base is fully finished! I've taken precautions to make sure the monofin is secure. I am proud of my work!