Thread: Been on here too long to not introduce myself

Senior Member Pod of Cali

Been on here too long to not introduce myself

Greetings everyone. Hope you all are doing well.

I grew up in probably the least likely place you might expect to find a mer, the middle of the dessert. However, out there in the summer, the water is where you want to be (any place else and the sun starts to make that angry sun on that one level from Super Mario Bros 3 look friendly), so I spent a lot of time in the water growing up. I've always liked swimming.
    I have loved merfolk since I was 4. It's very common here, but The Little Mermaid is what introduced me to mermaids. As a kid, I was open about it, but after my peers teasing me constantly (including my older sister), I kept it to myself.
    What I like about mermaid and mermen is the thought of living and exploring a vast world that is beyond our reach, and doing so by basically flying threw it. Having a tail of my own to swim through the seas with speed, agility, and grace is a breathtaking dream of mine that I hope to one day make real.

I am a bit of an unusual merman in the way I swim. When I bought my first monofin, I discovered that many of the principles that we use without a tail can be a hindrance while wearing one. Many of you probably found this out too. After all the dolphin kick is not humanities first choice. However, there is far more. For example: I found sculling and using one's arms for propulsion is very tiresome while underwater, and using them for turning requires quite a bit of effort. These and other issues created by falling back on what I normally did took a toll on ho long I could stay under water. To that end, through experimentation, I developed a new style of swimming that would compliment the monofin, and through that a tail. I based it on my observation of dolphins, aerobatics, and historic fencing principles. There is also a mindset that goes with it. It encourages being as gentle as you can with the water, and only using the muscles needed at any given time. One day I hope to teach it, but as I am writing this, we are still landlocked in Corona Virus land.

Although this is my formal intro, I have been on Mernetwork for years. In that time I have seen some pretty neat things.

Look forward to meeting any new faces.

See you in the water sometime.

Hi it's interesting i'm very curious about your new swimming method. Ah for sure now is not the best time but sooner or later it will change and we go back outside more again. Waiting for that this kind of website are great.

It may take a while before we can all get back in the water, but if you are interested, I can answer any questions you have about what I have developed.

Well why note i'm curious and water and swimming since i cant go there at least hearing about it is better than nothing to do so yes get the details that be cool.

Alright, I'll write it up. Putting it in the monofin swimming section when it is finished, and let you know when it is up.

I was going to put up a page on the monofin swimming section, but it will take a bit, so I'll give you a bit of an idea of what my style is like.

When I swim, instead of using my arms to turn and maneuver in the water, I pay close attention to where my fin's power is applied, and how my body is positioned, to direct it so that I am able to propel myself where I want to go. The first part of this method you may already do. When swimming straight and one wants to dive or ascend, one only needs to bend over or back a little to change direction. In order to turn, I roll onto my side and do the same thing with the only difference being that I am doing it to one side or the other instead of up or down. This is very close to how real dolphins swim.

Sorry it took a while.

I can wait you know it's ok. Take your time as long as it's good on final version with all the details. Sounds interesting from what you said. How real dolphins swim? Definitively a great inspiration in my opinion.