Thread: Which should I choose: medium of hard stiffness?

Which should I choose: medium of hard stiffness?

Hey Everyone!

I need some advice.

I am currently making a sequin tail. I'm covering the neoprene body and 2/3 of the vinyl fabric fluke with sequins. More info here: https://mernetwork.com/index/showthr...n-tail-project

I've designed the fluke in a way that it's most perfect for the Waterway Mermaid monofin, this one: https://www.freedivershop.com/waterw...d-tail-monofin

I don't have the monofin yet (I made the fluke using a template, I have the measurements of the monofin). I want to buy it before my tail is finished, but I'm unsure whether I should pick medium or hard stiffness!

I don't know if it matters, but I LOVE speed. I have experience with competitive monofin swimming. I'm 5'9 and of medium-slender build.

What do you guys think? Medium or hard with this monofin and tail?

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Hard, so you can do zoomies in a tail!
    Formerly known as ireneho

This is a tough yet very good question... Some people have said how the soft one swims like a dream from their experience... I think it would be best to be a little bit more patient and wait to hear from more people who experienced the monofin at its different levels of hardness just to be sure... Also they have said that it runs small so go 2 to 3 sizes up from your actual foot size(foam neoprene booties will be required obviously for this) best of luck

Sent from my Redmi Note 9 Pro Max using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Jaffa View Post
    Hard, so you can do zoomies in a tail!
    Thank you for your reply! <3 What do you mean by 'zoomies'?

Quote Originally Posted by Robartt View Post
    This is a tough yet very good question... Some people have said how the soft one swims like a dream from their experience... I think it would be best to be a little bit more patient and wait to hear from more people who experienced the monofin at its different levels of hardness just to be sure... Also they have said that it runs small so go 2 to 3 sizes up from your actual foot size(foam neoprene booties will be required obviously for this) best of luck

Thanks a lot for your advice! Yeah, I lot of people prefer soft. The same people usually love the Finfun monofin and the Mertailor monofins. I actually really dislike those. The harder the blade, the more I will like it. But I also love it when the fluke has a bit of movement left and doesnt look super stiff... choices, choices.

Yeah, I had been told they run small! I'm a size 40, but I am going for a 43 . And I will buy booties just in case, thank you for that advice!

You're sooo welcome... And a very happy new year by the way

P. S. - Personally even I'm not a fan of the fin fun and mertailor monofins... So sorry to them both... Please don't hate me now FF and MT

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Zoomies is when you swim very fast with monofin and do leaping tricks out of the water!
    Formerly known as ireneho