Thread: Hello, merfolk!

Hello, merfolk!

Hello, merfolk! I just came across this forum a few days ago while I was looking up some stuff about seashells. I've come across videos of mermaiding before, but I wasn't sure how to find more information on this hobby. Heck, I didn't even know the proper name of this hobby until I stumbled across this forum. I've read through some threads, and mermaiding looks fun. So, I figured I'd make an account here.

As for merfolk themselves, I suppose my interest in them began back when I was little. I've had an interest in anything having to do with the ocean for as long as I can remember, and even had considered being a marine biologist at one point in my life. On the fictional side of things I think the major catalyst for my interest in any sort of underwater civilization are the Ecco the Dolphin video games. While the Ecco games don't have any mermaids they do have a surreal new age-y sci-fi atmosphere to them that I've found myself thinking back to whenever I'm thinking up underwater people, mermaids or not.

In fact, I'm looking towards aspects of the Ecco videos games for inspiration for my mersona. I don't have a name picked out yet, but I do know that my mersona is a crustacean mermaid. Instead of a fish tail she has a tail like a lobster's or a mantis shrimp's.

I think I've said enough for now. I'll be hanging around.

Hi. Love the Ecco the Dolphin games too. Crustacean mermaid? Original and interesting. Some people on deviant art have made beautiful drawings on that style that could inspire you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Fina View Post
    Hi. Love the Ecco the Dolphin games too. Crustacean mermaid? Original and interesting. Some people on deviant art have made beautiful drawings on that style that could inspire you.
    I actually came across a few of those drawings while looking to see if there was anything like a crustacean mermaid in folklore. I do think a lot of them look neat, and I'll probably do a specific search on Deviant Art if I find I need some inspiration.

Ok.I dont know of any crustacean mermaid folklore but maybe there is somewhere i'm far for knowing it all it's a very large topic. Hope you find your inspiration soon somehow be it folklore or your own imagination .

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    a few years back, there was a mermaid who had a stunningly realistic swimmable lobster tail.
    Maybe you can find some pictures of her, she brought it to a convention too I believe.
    Now that was a looker, probably mega expensive though

there are crustacean merfolk in chinese folklore. They are usually the guards and soldiers of the dragon king and defend his territory and palaces.

Quote Originally Posted by Star of Karkinos View Post
    Hello, merfolk! I just came across this forum a few days ago while I was looking up some stuff about seashells. I've come across videos of mermaiding before, but I wasn't sure how to find more information on this hobby. Heck, I didn't even know the proper name of this hobby until I stumbled across this forum. I've read through some threads, and mermaiding looks fun. So, I figured I'd make an account here.

As for merfolk themselves, I suppose my interest in them began back when I was little. I've had an interest in anything having to do with the ocean for as long as I can remember, and even had considered being a marine biologist at one point in my life. On the fictional side of things I think the major catalyst for my interest in any sort of underwater civilization are the Ecco the Dolphin video games. While the Ecco games don't have any mermaids they do have a surreal new age-y sci-fi atmosphere to them that I've found myself thinking back to whenever I'm thinking up underwater people, mermaids or not.

In fact, I'm looking towards aspects of the Ecco videos games for inspiration for my mersona. I don't have a name picked out yet, but I do know that my mersona is a crustacean mermaid. Instead of a fish tail she has a tail like a lobster's or a mantis shrimp's.

I think I've said enough for now. I'll be hanging around.
    Hey there! It sounds like we have a fair bit in common!

I didn't know this was a thing until recently either!

I have always loved the sea and yes I wanted to become a marine biologist too. I actually made a post about this yesterday!

I have played Ecco too and enjoyed it - although I found it hard!

A crustacean mermaid sounds really interesting and a bit different too - would love to see your journey to expressing that!