Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Did anyone else want to be a marine biologist?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1

    Did anyone else want to be a marine biologist?

    I didn't know what career path I'd end up in after school. I was really interested in marine biology but didn't have the body confidence to learn to swim properly (which I figured I needed).

    I ended up in an office job. It's a bit of a drag being stuck indoors all the time on a computer so sometimes I dream about what it might have been like to pursue marine biology instead.

    Probably not as fun and secure as I am imagining but boy I bet it's interesting!

    Did anyone else want to study this? Did anyone actually go on to become a marine biologist?


  2. #2
    Well you really should talk to people in that field of study i'm not sure swimming really is required for every possible kind of marine biology research and if it's a passion for you don't let the possibility of an obstacle that maybe don't even exist ruin your dream right? I don't know since i'm in totally different kind of work (sex worker) and have no hard science background as my studies were more litterature and human sciences (history and geography mostly) but if your young enough to change field and find the one you're in boring well do it if that's what you truly desire. My job is quite fun but secure well not at all but i've choose it over boring and too long study all the way XD. Marine biology seems relatively fun and secure and most certainly interesting indeed. I'm well over the age of doing studies, don't want to change my job that i quite like and have no enough biology background to do marine biology but i quite like learn about it in science news documentaries, websites or magazines. Especially on squales. So i've would quite like to know people who are knowledeable in the marine biology field sure they would have a lot of things to say that i would like to learn.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Fina View Post
    Well you really should talk to people in that field of study i'm not sure swimming really is required for every possible kind of marine biology research and if it's a passion for you don't let the possibility of an obstacle that maybe don't even exist ruin your dream right? I don't know since i'm in totally different kind of work (sex worker) and have no hard science background as my studies were more litterature and human sciences (history and geography mostly) but if your young enough to change field and find the one you're in boring well do it if that's what you truly desire. My job is quite fun but secure well not at all but i've choose it over boring and too long study all the way XD. Marine biology seems relatively fun and secure and most certainly interesting indeed. I'm well over the age of doing studies, don't want to change my job that i quite like and have no enough biology background to do marine biology but i quite like learn about it in science news documentaries, websites or magazines. Especially on squales. So i've would quite like to know people who are knowledeable in the marine biology field sure they would have a lot of things to say that i would like to learn.
    Thanks for the response! I'm glad that you've found a job you enjoy! T'aint always easy!

    I think I'm too broke to afford a career change into that at this point in my life. I don't think anyone is too old to study but it does get more complicated the older you get.

    But hey you don't need to formally study something to enjoy learning about it!

  4. #4
    I'm currently studying to be a marine biologist! I will attend James Cook University next year to start my Master's program to pursue marine biology/conservation!

  5. #5
    Wow that's pretty cool, is there any endangered marine animal you're particulary intersted in?

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Fina View Post
    Wow that's pretty cool, is there any endangered marine animal you're particulary intersted in?
    There's so many to choose from! But I'm very interested in coral conservation, the eradication of microplastics in our oceans, proper education of how sharks are harmless, etc. I also have a fascination for turtles, otters, and various rays.

  7. #7
    Coral conservation i learned about two methods one with music and one with genetics coral modification untested till now to me the first sound way better than the second since i'm anti gmo but the second one seems proned by more scientists and since i'm not a scientist well...what do you think? Same do you believe this people thinking microplastics could somehow be aspired with a kind of big pump or not? Yeah sharks are cute and nowhere likes in Jaws it's badly needed that people know that massively, i love sharks and rays too, ah poor turtles for sure yes i understand that's a hard choice personnaly i would rather concentrates on sharks because big predator conservation is big part of ecosystems conservation as a whole plus they're a lot of fascinating stuf about them but yeah corals preservation for sure is quite vital too and corals are quite surprising animals right? (excuse any errors in grammar and orthograph please english is not a first langage but a faraway school remembrance to me).

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Fina View Post
    Coral conservation i learned about two methods one with music and one with genetics coral modification untested till now to me the first sound way better than the second since i'm anti gmo but the second one seems proned by more scientists and since i'm not a scientist well...what do you think? Same do you believe this people thinking microplastics could somehow be aspired with a kind of big pump or not? Yeah sharks are cute and nowhere likes in Jaws it's badly needed that people know that massively, i love sharks and rays too, ah poor turtles for sure yes i understand that's a hard choice personnaly i would rather concentrates on sharks because big predator conservation is big part of ecosystems conservation as a whole plus they're a lot of fascinating stuf about them but yeah corals preservation for sure is quite vital too and corals are quite surprising animals right? (excuse any errors in grammar and orthograph please english is not a first langage but a faraway school remembrance to me).
    That's super interesting! Corals are definitely a big part of our oceans. Without them, most organisms would have nowhere to live or hide from predators. Predators also rely on coral reefs for food, and without that source of food, they would also begin to die off.

    I am also anti-GMO. I think in a way, they are some pros, but with all of the research I did during high school, there seem to be more cons than anything.

    I read that there is a plastic-eating mushroom that scientists are still conducting tests on, but it sounds like they will implement them in all landfills within coming years, so I hope that helps to cut down on a lot of the microplastics we are seeing in the oceans. As for the micro-plastic that is already in the ocean, I think a pump is an interesting idea! I know that 4ocean recently came out with a beach-combing robot that picks up only debris and leaves any animals, sand, etc. unharmed and untouched. It sifts them out. So, I wonder if a pump could be invented that is similar to that where it would filter out any organisms and water so we only pick up debris!

    I completely agree. Sharks are a big part of our ocean's ecosystem, and without them, we would not have much of an ocean left.

    Corals are definitely super interesting creatures! Their systems are so intriguing.

  9. #9
    The plastic eating mushroom thing do seems promising indeed . I've heard you cannont really see the great wall of china from space it's a myth but you can actually the great coral reef, corals are the only alive earth beings you can see from space they said...is that true?

  10. #10
    I'm honestly not too sure about that, but that would be amazing!

  11. #11
    Senior Member Pod of Oceania The Water Phoenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    577
    I wanted to be a marine biologist when I was little. I think it was a passing phase, because now I'm studying to be an airline pilot and I work as a ramp agent, I'm still very much interested in the critters of the sea though!
    Be the pilot of your dreams

    **The Water Phoenix: A Western Australian mer**

    Instagram: thephoenixmer



Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •