Thread: Denim tail blanket - help?

Denim tail blanket - help?

Hi all,

I've managed to stockpile a load of old jeans that are too worn to donate. I don't have a recycling place near me either. So I've been wondering what I could do and thought it might be fun to make a tail blanket.

I've seen tail blankets advertised online and they look cool! I'm not sure what the best way to make it might be though.

Thought ye creative folks might have some ideas?

I'm toying with the idea of making patches of material and sewing these together. The carying colours would be lovely. But it would probably be easier to cut jeans up the legs and attach a tail part somehow...

Any thoughts?

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Pod of New England
    Add Marinus Mortimer on Facebook
    Visit Marinus Mortimer's Youtube Channel
    I could see this working in this way.

Use the most worn jeans to make the blanket tail base and use the cool color parts to make scales, you can then sow the scales to the tail part and with the seam areas that are like thick veins you can use it to build the bones on the fluke and fins if you make some? So let’s recap no jeans wasted. Seams used for veins/bones one Jean or two for tail body and fluke and rest to scales. Should look cool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Marinus Mortimer
    formerly known as:
    Merman Marinus

Quote Originally Posted by Marinus Mortimer View Post
    I could see this working in this way.

Use the most worn jeans to make the blanket tail base and use the cool color parts to make scales, you can then sow the scales to the tail part and with the seam areas that are like thick veins you can use it to build the bones on the fluke and fins if you make some? So let’s recap no jeans wasted. Seams used for veins/bones one Jean or two for tail body and fluke and rest to scales. Should look cool
    Thanks for the response!

Yes I was planning on a basic shape with a fluke and I really like the idea of using the seam areas for the bones.

Thanks for the ideas. I have no real sewing experience so I appreciate the input!