Thread: Hello from SoCal

Junior Member Pod of Cali

Hello from SoCal

I've been doing a bit of lurking for a while and decided to finally take the plunge and make an account so I could talk with merfolk on here.

I don't have any experience with any kind of monofins or tails but I'm certainly wanting to when I can afford to. I had bookmarked a shop I found that had a pretty decent beginner price point but it seems to have gone broken. I will have to do some more digging through the threads here but a lot of what I see is so expensive. I don't know if it is bad etiquette to discuss borrowing gear, but if I could find someone nearby with some to let me try it out before buying that would be really awesome. I feel like a lot of people have quite a personal attachment to their tails and fins and wouldn't want to do that.

I have fond memories of playing in the swimming pool from a young age, pretending to be a mermaid. I could never get enough time in the water it seems. These days I haven't gotten out nearly as much as I would like because life keeps throwing curveball, but I certainly would like to be in the water a lot. I became interested in getting a tail a few years ago after coming across pictures on pintetest. Before that I had no idea anyone made such a thing.

Anyways, nice to be here hope to meet new friends and learn more.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by sanguis View Post
    I've been doing a bit of lurking for a while and decided to finally take the plunge and make an account so I could talk with merfolk on here.

I don't have any experience with any kind of monofins or tails but I'm certainly wanting to when I can afford to. I had bookmarked a shop I found that had a pretty decent beginner price point but it seems to have gone broken. I will have to do some more digging through the threads here but a lot of what I see is so expensive. I don't know if it is bad etiquette to discuss borrowing gear, but if I could find someone nearby with some to let me try it out before buying that would be really awesome. I feel like a lot of people have quite a personal attachment to their tails and fins and wouldn't want to do that.

I have fond memories of playing in the swimming pool from a young age, pretending to be a mermaid. I could never get enough time in the water it seems. These days I haven't gotten out nearly as much as I would like because life keeps throwing curveball, but I certainly would like to be in the water a lot. I became interested in getting a tail a few years ago after coming across pictures on pintetest. Before that I had no idea anyone made such a thing.

Anyways, nice to be here hope to meet new friends and learn more.
    Joining a pod is a good way to try out different fins. I recommend either Sun Tails or Fin Fun for good beginner monofins.
    Formerly known as ireneho

Senior Member Pod of Cali Merman Storm's Avatar
    Hi sanguis.
    I am also in So Cal. But that may not be much help. Chances are we are still far away from each other. I am in Simi Valley, which is just west of the San Fernando valley.
    Also, I expect all my tails are too large for you. The Fin Fun monofin would fit you, as they fit most everyone. If you are nearby, I could loan you that.
    Are you a Frozen fan? Frozen fanfiction:
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10952902/1/Rain-of-a-Child-s-Tear

Let the storm rage on!

Junior Member Pod of Cali
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Jaffa View Post
    Joining a pod is a good way to try out different fins. I recommend either Sun Tails or Fin Fun for good beginner monofins.
    Thank you! That is a good price range to start off with and close to what I was looking for. The other place was skins made for the Mahina monofins and similar skin prices to those skins even though the monofin is slightly more but I suspect they went out of business.

Quote Originally Posted by Merman Storm View Post
    Hi sanguis.
    I am also in So Cal. But that may not be much help. Chances are we are still far away from each other. I am in Simi Valley, which is just west of the San Fernando valley.
    Also, I expect all my tails are too large for you. The Fin Fun monofin would fit you, as they fit most everyone. If you are nearby, I could loan you that.
    That's not horribly far, I'm in OC. I don't know how many people are going to be much closer. In the pod forums I saw a couple people post that were a little closer but not by much. I'd certainly be willing to make that drive on occasion for a meetup You are probably right about sizing. I guess I didn't stop to think how variable it would be with fitted monofins even if there is somebody with similar body size to me.

Nice to meet you both.