Thread: Swimming without goggles

Swimming without goggles

Hey guys, so I've been wondering how some merfolks deal with dry eyes resulted from long exposure to chlorinated water....I've been swimming in my local pool without goggles recently hoping to improve my tolerance against chlorinated water; so far, I can only keep them open underwater for about 45mins until it's too painful to do so.

And, does training actually helps with building tolerance? Would love to hear your opinion.

FYI: I've been using eye-gel - it's helpful at the beginning but in 15mins they seem to wear off.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Chlorine isn't good for your eyes! You can go blind from too much exposure to chlorine as it eats everything.

Nothing wrong with wearing goggles while mermaiding. Whomever says so, has never met sight challenged merfolk.

I've been mermaiding since 2014, not once has anyone ever called me out for wearing goggles. And mine aren't the normal, regular goggles, they're prescription and can be very thick lenses.
    So yea, wear goggles to protect your eyes and say no to naysayers.
    Last edited by Mermaid Jaffa; 03-17-2021 at 02:33 AM.
    Formerly known as ireneho

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Jaffa View Post
    Chlorine isn't good for your eyes! You can go blind from too much exposure to chlorine as it eats everything.

Nothing wrong with wearing goggles while mermaiding. Whomever says so, has never met sight challenged merfolk.

I've been mermaiding since 2014, not once has anyone ever called me out for wearing goggles. And mine aren't the normal, regular goggles, they're prescription and can be very thick lenses.
    So yea, wear goggles to protect your eyes and say no to naysayers.
    I have always thought the effect chlorine has on eyes is temporary, not permanent. Just wondering if you can share with me some evidence which point towards your statement.

As for using goggles, I've never been a fan of goggles...and I definitely feel more liberated when swimming without them.

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    there are dolphins who have gone blind due to being held in a chlorinated pool.
    The cornea can be damaged permanently, to what extent, depends on the hours you put in.

Even so, swimming anywhere without eye protection is a very bad idea. Have you seen the clouds of filth drifting in the average public pool?
    I'd worry more about the germs and amoeba than the chlorine tbh.
    And yes, acanthamoeba live in chlorinated pools just fine, and those WILL cause you to go blind if you're unlucky.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by kyle_merman93 View Post
    until it's too painful to do so.
    There's your proof. Chlorine is a caustic chemical. You don't want it on your eyeballs or near any part of your eyes. No pain no gain does not apply here. Arms and legs are replaceable but eyes and brain are not.
    Formerly known as ireneho