Thread: Mahina Merfin Adult vs Junior Dimensions

Mahina Merfin Adult vs Junior Dimensions

Hello! In case any smaller footed mers are interested I wanted to make this post about the difference in size between the adult and junior monofins from Mahina Mermaid. I knew I wanted a mahina but because I could go either way with my foot size. I was trying to find out if there was more tail options for the junior but really couldn't find any information on the exact size difference between the two. (If this info is already on here sorry.) The only thing I could find was an old video of Nerdmaid Faith's when she was using her Bass On The Faith channel briefly comparing/saying the junior was closer in size to the finfun monofin. So I ended up buying both and wanted to share!

(Aquamarine is the adult & coral is the junior)

Name:  Stack 1 (2).jpg
Views: 1154
Size:  649.6 KB

Adult Mahina Merfin

Heel to center notch 17in or 43.18cm
    Height, heel to longest point 26.5in or 67.31cm
    Wide, fin tip to tip 32in or 81.28cm

Junior Mahina Merfin

Heel to center notch 14.5in or 36.83cm
    Height, heel to longest point 22.5in or 57.15cm
    Wide, fin tip to tip 27in or 68.58cm

Here's a stacked comparison of the adult Mahina Merfin vs Junior Mahina Merfin vs Finis Aquarius (had to crop in half because of image size restictions)

Name:  Stack 2 (6).jpg
Views: 867
Size:  294.4 KB

I didn't want too many pics on here but if you are interested on how I measured or certain points they are on imgur. https://imgur.com/a/Nc0teZK and if there are other measurements you'd like let me know! I'm also working on experimenting painting one of my Mahina's, which I think is going well so far....hopefully. Will make a how-to post if it works out!

Gr8 jobb... Very informative

Sent from my Redmi Note 9 Pro Max using Tapatalk

Personally I prefer your juniour size mahina to the adult one as I prefer/like medium-sized monofins to smaller ones than huge/widest or biggest sizes

Quote Originally Posted by MermaidMooneye View Post
    Hello! In case any smaller footed mers are interested I wanted to make this post about the difference in size between the adult and junior monofins from Mahina Mermaid. I knew I wanted a mahina but because I could go either way with my foot size. I was trying to find out if there was more tail options for the junior but really couldn't find any information on the exact size difference between the two. (If this info is already on here sorry.) The only thing I could find was an old video of Nerdmaid Faith's when she was using her Bass On The Faith channel briefly comparing/saying the junior was closer in size to the finfun monofin. So I ended up buying both and wanted to share!

(Aquamarine is the adult & coral is the junior)

Name:  Stack 1 (2).jpg
Views: 1154
Size:  649.6 KB

Adult Mahina Merfin

Heel to center notch 17in or 43.18cm
    Height, heel to longest point 26.5in or 67.31cm
    Wide, fin tip to tip 32in or 81.28cm

Junior Mahina Merfin

Heel to center notch 14.5in or 36.83cm
    Height, heel to longest point 22.5in or 57.15cm
    Wide, fin tip to tip 27in or 68.58cm

Here's a stacked comparison of the adult Mahina Merfin vs Junior Mahina Merfin vs Finis Aquarius (had to crop in half because of image size restictions)

Name:  Stack 2 (6).jpg
Views: 867
Size:  294.4 KB

I didn't want too many pics on here but if you are interested on how I measured or certain points they are on imgur. https://imgur.com/a/Nc0teZK and if there are other measurements you'd like let me know! I'm also working on experimenting painting one of my Mahina's, which I think is going well so far....hopefully. Will make a how-to post if it works out!
    Yes please can you tell us the foot pocket size of both in terms of UK foot measurements... Thanks a gazillion in advance

Thanks Robartt! The adult merfin is the adult medium Aus 7-9, Euro 40-42, UK 6.5-8.5, USA 8.5-10.5. The junior merfin is the kids small Aus 1-3, Euro, 33-36, UK1-3.5, USA 2-4.

The foot size on the adult is actually too big and the junior is too small, but they were such a good deal I figured people recommend neoprene socks anyways so that helps with the sizing on the adult. The junior I may have made the drainage holes on the bottom toe end a little bigger for my big toe to fit through lol. I looked for awhile but couldn’t find used child medium/adult smalls out there

Thank you so much...this is sooo helpful...I wear an adult medium shoe size UK 7 to 8( that's now normally the foot measurents are here) but suppose If I were to purchase the mahina, would you suggest buying the adult medium or the large size one coz I've read somewhere that even the adult medium is too tight even with neoprene socks on...even with the large size would I still need to put on neoprene socks to go with it...I've been sooo boggled by this for quote sometime now just like many other merfolks out there... I'd be sooo thankful if some light could be shed on for this... Thanks

Someone chiming in with similar size feet might have a better idea but I’m thinking if you want neoprene socks (which is recommended because blisters) I’d go large...I think....and a thicker mm neoprene might help too

Shoe size?

@MermaidMooneye -- Could you possibly share your shoe size, please? I think this info could give some helpful context, and I would very much appreciate it! Especially since you had mentioned the adult small is too big on you / the child small is too small. Thank you in advance!!

Quote Originally Posted by MermaidMooneye View Post
    Someone chiming in with similar size feet might have a better idea but I’m thinking if you want neoprene socks (which is recommended because blisters) I’d go large...I think....and a thicker mm neoprene might help too
    Hi! Quick question -- Would you recommend neoprene socks with or without grippers on the bottom? (I'm guessing the grippers would make it too difficult to slide into the foot pocket?) Thanks in advance.

Of course, I wear a 7.5 US women’s! I knew when I bought the ones I did that they weren’t going to fit properly. I was looking for the junior in medium because I think that might have actually fit but no luck finding a used one. I’ll have to post again when I get my scuba socks on if that makes enough of a difference for the adult to fit or not.

P.S. I don’t think I made it clear in my original post that the height measurement isn’t directly from the heel to tip on an angle. The height and width I measured at a right angle to each other. So it would be like what size box it would fit in (I’m not describing this very well)
    P.P.S. If anyone has a lead on a used junior small or medium in blue mahina monofin I’m interested!

Re: Measurements -- Is this what you mean? See the picture I drew in this Google Photos link:
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/aof7onFgxujjAYY49

And about the rest of the topics -- Thank you so much!

Yes! Great drawing thanks for interpreting lol

Thank you for doing the size comparison on the two Mahinas! It was *exactly* what I was looking for!

Hey! I just wanted to say thank you again! I found a used Mahina that is size USA 2-4. My shoe size is US 6 wide. I wanted the fit to be nice and tight for swimming, and this size worked perfectly. The info you shared really helped me make my decision, and I appreciate it so much!

Me with my monofin: https://photos.app.goo.gl/ifsGmTg1vRQTHG868

Love your leggings!!!! I actually got to go swimming with mine for the first time last weekend! Also you got the aquamarine so jealous! (Also if your toes are squished at the end I widened the drainage holes to poke my big toe through and that helped)

Me and my junior mahina: https://www.instagram.com/p/CQMDboIh...dium=copy_link
    Last edited by MermaidMooneye; 06-16-2021 at 01:08 PM.