Thread: Tailskins and drag

Tailskins and drag

Curious to hear from mers who have swum in a lot of tails! I was swimming today in a DIY tail that I made that is somewhat loose, and I made the skin for the Rapid but swam in it with the Linden and was realizing just how much flippin' drag it had. I felt like I couldn't get anywhere, and honestly wasn't having fun with it lol. So I know that combination isn't a great one, which brings me to my question: for zipping around, what tails do you guys like?

Senior Member Pod of Cali Merman Storm's Avatar
    In terms for worst to best propulsion:
    The worst was a Mahina. That thick, flat leading edge makes alot of drag.
    Next is the replacement I made for the Mahina. I have a tail skin that needs the Mahina shape, so I made a fin by cutting a sheet of polypropylene to the same as the Mahina and bolting bi-fin fin pockets to it.
    Next is, oddly, the FinFun that I again modified. I stiffen it where my feet are, heat and bend it to make an angled monofin ( I cannot point my toes very well), and added a strap to better hold my feet to it. My replacement Mahina is also angled.
    Second best is my Spellbound tail from Mertailor. I was stunned at how good it was, given it looks so floppy.
    The best is one you cannot get, as they went out of business: my Lunocet. I had a silicone skin made for it, and as far as I know it is the only silicone - Lunocet tail, will forever be the only one.

All my skins are snug, and Ive never felt like they were slowing me down. If your skin is rippling in the water flow, you need to take it in. A spandex tail skin should stretch 20% or so in circumference when worn. Also, see how fast you can go without the skin. Finally, practice your stroke. Not using the right motion can slow you down.
    Are you a Frozen fan? Frozen fanfiction:
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10952902/1/Rain-of-a-Child-s-Tear

Let the storm rage on!

Quote Originally Posted by Merman Storm View Post
    In terms for worst to best propulsion:
    The worst was a Mahina. That thick, flat leading edge makes alot of drag.
    Next is the replacement I made for the Mahina. I have a tail skin that needs the Mahina shape, so I made a fin by cutting a sheet of polypropylene to the same as the Mahina and bolting bi-fin fin pockets to it.
    Next is, oddly, the FinFun that I again modified. I stiffen it where my feet are, heat and bend it to make an angled monofin ( I cannot point my toes very well), and added a strap to better hold my feet to it. My replacement Mahina is also angled.
    Second best is my Spellbound tail from Mertailor. I was stunned at how good it was, given it looks so floppy.
    The best is one you cannot get, as they went out of business: my Lunocet. I had a silicone skin made for it, and as far as I know it is the only silicone - Lunocet tail, will forever be the only one.

All my skins are snug, and Ive never felt like they were slowing me down. If your skin is rippling in the water flow, you need to take it in. A spandex tail skin should stretch 20% or so in circumference when worn. Also, see how fast you can go without the skin. Finally, practice your stroke. Not using the right motion can slow you down.
    Wow! So detailed, I love your commitment and detail haha. Thanks! I think the drag is just from the two issues with my homemade tail (excess fabric after the monofin, since I didn't make it for a Linden) and it's a little too big for me. Swimming in just my monofin feels super quick, so I probably just need to upgrade to one that fits. For some reason I started to get paranoid that ALL tails felt like that, which I hope isn't the case!

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    I love doing zoomies in my Powerfins monofin. Its shiny and gold. And better looking than the Finis Foil!
    Formerly known as ireneho