Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: About MerNetwork Pods

Malinghi, I love the coats of arms!

Senior Member Pod of Cali
    I'm fond of my pod's coat too. Plus, girabaldi is a perfect mascot.

Its so... us.

Senior Member Pod of The South
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Aqua View Post
    aniaR- You're not the only one who is complaining, I agree with you that we shouldn't do this until a little later
    Ditto

I almost didn't join my pod because of the lock issue. I also feel a little weird sometimes that I'm in a sense, being excluded from anything going on anywhere else. I do travel sometimes, and it's just nice to see what might be going on in another area, or see what's going on in general. I hate separating a grand community into a bunch of exclusive groups. Feels too much like frat houses or sororities *yucky face*.

I just feel it puts a huge wall up - well, several walls - that severely segment the community. Pods are cool. Locks are not U_U IMO

That's my 2 cents.

Am I misunderstanding this? I thought that the only lock was on people who hadn't selected a pod, but that once in a pod, anyone could comment on any of the other pods' boards. Besides, fraternities and sororities, while rife with cultural artifacts and reputations, are often fun as well, just like sports teams and gaming organizations promote a sense of community and family. It is much easier to form a community with other people I'm within driving distance of than with people in Cali or Australia or Canada. And it's nice to know that I can now easily use the pods to find other people in my region, and communicate with them, rather than everyone in the U.S. or some other larger, less helpful group. Go pods go!

Senior Member Pod of The South
    Like I said, I like the idea of having pods - it's nice to know fellow mers in your very neighborhood

However, I am not a fan of the 'lock out'. I'm not sure about the lock releasing once you join a Pod. I joined the Southern Pod, but that's the only contents I can see. There were a couple of threads in other pods that I was interested in, but I couldn't view it because I was locked out unless I joined that Pod :-\

So yeah. Not the Pods concept I have a problem with - I think that is awesometastic. Just the lock feature I don't like.

It should be set so that if you join ANY pod, you can see the rest of the posts and subsections within the whole of the Pod forum section. There's even a pod that is the "Undisclosed Pod" do you don't even have to really pick a particular pod to get access.

The idea behind this "lock out" is so we can have the usergroups, that way we can see who is in what pod all the time. Otherwise no one would ever really "join" pods, they'd just look a the posts then leave, and be less likely to post. The pods are a really new concept (and even "radical" when things first started), but it's a push to get the community to join together, have actual events and meet in real life- you know, make it more of a community and lifestyle than just a forum. I can tell you that anyone I've asked about going to any kind of meet up with other mers had an absolute blast and couldn't wait to do it again! But before the World Mermaid Awards? We were pushing for meet ups all the time and none ever happened. Everyone thought that stuff was crazy, meeting people they just new from an online forum. Now multiple pods are having monthly meet ups! So basically it's just a TINY push, using usergroups and permissions, on the users to get involved with their pods. I'm sorry if anyone feels upset by this.

If anyone is having issues with permissions- seeing the other pod subforums- PM a Admin or emails us a MerNetwork@gmail.com to let us know so we can fix it!

Junior Member Euro Pod
    I like the ideas of the pods and I also found my pod. But I'm not sure how to join the Euro Pod! On http://mernetwork.com/index/content....8-Pods-article , there is a list to join all pods, but the Euro Pod is not there!
    So how can I join it? Maybe somewhere else is a possibility? I haven't found it yet. Thanks for help!

Hello there! Sorry about that! The Eruo Pod was created after this article was, so it wasn't available for listing. I'll fix that! To join a pod, go to "My Profile" in the upper right hand corner of your page. On the left there will be a series of boxes. If you scroll down the last one says "Permission Groups" and next to it "Join Groups". Click on that (or follow this quick link, mernetwork.com/index/profile.php?do=editusergroups ) select the circle that says "Join Group" next to the pod you want to join, then scroll down and click the box that says "Join Group".

Junior Member Euro Pod
    Hey! No worries, it looked more or less everywhere, but I missed the "Permission Groups". It was a bit hard to find, but now it worked . Thanks for helping.

I'm having issues haha, I want to join the pod of the south since I live in florida, but the link doesn't work and I can't find the permission groups thing in settings

~Mermaid Sirenia~
    Formerly known as Savannah Staver

Nevermind I figured it out!!

~Mermaid Sirenia~
    Formerly known as Savannah Staver

Follow Kunoichi Ribeiro On Twitter Add Kunoichi Ribeiro on Facebook
    Visit Kunoichi Ribeiro's Youtube Channel
    On the map i can see Pod of Brazil. So he already exist or no? If not can i make a Brazilian Pod? Im trying to know this, is the second post i try have attention to this case but no one answer me!?

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Mermaid Cataleya's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Cataleya on Facebook
    i think people should have the option to create a pod because none of the pods up are anywhere Near me. i made my own on facebook. But I think that should be an option
    "In the depth in find our soul, in darkness we find our true self. "

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel
    The pods are just regional groups. I'm not sure if there is any pod in South America. What area are you in, pawaterfish?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Administrator Pod of Cali malinghi's Avatar
    I made the pod system when Iona and I created MerNetwork. Knowing what I know now, there are a lot of problems with the system. For one thing, the names and borders were often different from actual places. The idea was to create a sort of fantasy world, so that people would say they are from the great lakes, rather than saying they were from Ohio. Unsurprisingly this lead to tons of confusion since no one knew what pod they were in.

The fact that the pod system only covered North America and Europe was also a problem.

On the map i can see Pod of Brazil. So he already exist or no? If not can i make a Brazilian Pod? Im trying to know this, is the second post i try have attention to this case but no one answer me!?
    The map you're referring to was just a proposed map, and lots of those pods were never made. I just made a new usergroup for the Pod of South America. I haven't made a separate forum for it though.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Yea, I was confused too when I first joined. I looked for Pod of Australia, Pod of Sydney, of NSW etc only to discover it was Pod of Oceania which covered a lot of places.
    Formerly known as ireneho

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Mermaid Cataleya's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Cataleya on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Wesley View Post
    The pods are just regional groups. I'm not sure if there is any pod in South America. What area are you in, pawaterfish?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I live in pa about 40 minutes from knobles about over 2 1/2 from newyork I know there is a mermaid that lives in New York and offered for me to go and swim with them but I can only drive so far before I don't allow myself to drive anymore due to medical and personal reasons. So I try to stay within an hour to an hour and 20 minute radius from my house
    "In the depth in find our soul, in darkness we find our true self. "

Follow Kunoichi Ribeiro On Twitter Add Kunoichi Ribeiro on Facebook
    Visit Kunoichi Ribeiro's Youtube Channel
    So malinghi i can make a Brazilian Pod inside the Pod of South America or need be separete? Or i jus't stay on the South American one?