Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: About MerNetwork Pods

Administrator Pod of Cali malinghi's Avatar

About MerNetwork Pods

This thread is for talking about the pods and giving feedback on the whole system.

For one thing, I wanted to announce that we're now trying out a system where you must be a member of a pod to view any of the forums for the pods. You can post in threads for pods besides your own, but you have to be in one of them. What do you guys think?

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    I havent had a chance to really try it out, i'd like there to just be a canadian pod since there is all of 5 of us, I dont see the need to split us all up and the pod Im in now isnt anywhere near where I am lol. I dont see the need to restrict viewing.

gonna add you restricted me from seeing my own thread btw :P

Hrm... if we're restricted from other pods, what happens if we want to visit another region and want to let them know we'll be around?
    "SeaSparkles" "Spindrift" "Enakai" "Cuddlefish" "Confused"
    Professionally performing as Enakai Fairyfish

Enakai Fairyfish: FB | IG

Calm down guys. There are a few misunderstandings.

First, you're not restricted from other pods. You just need to be in any pod in order to view the pod forums. The only people that can't access the forums for the pods are people that are not in any pod at all, and nothing's stopping then from joining one. I did this because I'd like people to officially join the pods, and asking them to do so if they haven't already when they go to look at the thread is a good way to get the word out. It just takes a second.

Second, Raina, I made the Pod of St. Lawrence just for you. It's for all provinces in Canada bordering the St. Lawrence River or the Gulf of St. Lawrence, which includes Nova Scotia. I see in the other thread you were suggesting that all Canadian's be in one Pod... I guess it makes sense to consolidate the Canadians since there aren't as many of you. The reason I was reluctant to do that is because I don't want any of the pods to be in too large of a geographic region. They're supposed to be no more that like, a 12 or 13 hour drive from one end to the other. We can discuss where to draw the boarders in the thread on Canada. Let me know what you think.

The third thing is that I thought I modified the site so that the message you would get would direct you to the right place to join a pod, but there might have been an error. Did you get a message saying something along the lines of,

"You're trying to view a forum for one of the pods, but you aren't a member of a pod. Members of every pod have full access to all the pod forums, so please don't join pods for regions you don't live in. To officially join a pod, go to settings and click on "Permission Groups", or just go to the following URL: http://mernetwork.com/index/profile....editusergroups

Can you tell me if you got a message like this? If you didn't I think I have an idea how to fix this.

I can't see threads in the other pods even though I have joined two (Hawaii and New England). Here is the message I get:

Spindrift, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
    1. You're trying to view a forum for one of the pods, but you aren't a member of a pod. Members of every pod have full access to all the pod forums (for example, if you're in the Great Lakes Pod you can view the forum for the Pod of Cali), so please don't join pods for regions you don't live in. To officially join a pod, go to settings and click on "Permission Groups", or just go to the following URL: http://mernetwork.com/index/profile....editusergroups
    2. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
    3. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation

@Spindrift. Me either, even though I joined the North Pacific Pod.

Is it because I joined a group but not a permission group? There is none for Hawaii. And does that mean the groups in that section will be deleted?

@Spindrift. Me either, even though I joined the North Pacific Pod.
    Is it because I joined a group but not a permission group? There is none for Hawaii. And does that mean the groups in that section will be deleted?
    Sorry about that. This confusion does come from the fact that there are "Groups" which you can access from the Community drop down menu on the navigation bar, and there are "Permission Groups" you join by going to your settings. Joining one of the permission groups is what lets you access the pods forums.

It's good to know that the error message is working though.

Anyway, the first thing I need to do is add more permission groups for places like Hawaii. After that I need to figure out what to do about the other kind of "Groups" which are contributing to this confusion. I think I might get rid of them since I don't really see the usefulness of them.

I cant post in the Canada thread that I started is what Im saying so I cant dicuss it there , and I dont border on the St Lawrance? The Gulf ends before my part of the province, the river doesn't touch us. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Gr...wrence_map.png http://www.witiger.com/marketing/map-nova-scotia.jpg Bay of Fundy is closer to me than that.

I appreciate the pods, but like I said there is maybe 5 of us from Canada so far so I dont want to be split up If we ever get more than 10 or something (and depending on the distribution) I think it would be more appropriate to simply break us up east coast and west coast and if we ever get a huge amount then we can look at something smaller. it just makes no sense to me if the purpose is community to have us in groups where they may onle be 1 or 2. There just arent enough people.

I also dont think there's enough people on the site to start making view only etc. Ive had a few people complain to me that they are the only people in their pods or there is only a few so they wont post. I think it would be better to wait until the community on the board builds up more to start making divisions. I know the point behind it but I think restrictions make it more clicky when it's in my understanding supposed to be more about community and teaming up yes? Also, I havent figured out yet how to "Add myself" to a pod in the way you've described, and if that's something you want everyone to do I think there should be an automated message people recieve when they join telling them how.

Sorry about that. This confusion does come from the fact that there are "Groups" which you can access from the Community drop down menu on the navigation bar, and there are "Permission Groups" you join by going to your settings. Joining one of the permission groups is what lets you access the pods forums.
    I think you posted this while I was typing up my reply.
    This isn't obvious and needs to be posted somewhere for people to find. I think we need a FAQ for the forum etc

Im also sorta wondering, what about people who dont want to publicly disclose where they are from?

Regarding Raina's comment I suppose there can also be a Pod of the Undisclosed, or something.

Okay, just an update. I disabled the other kind of group, so no there's no confusion. Also, I added some stuff to the FAQ's about the pods. I also created an "Undisclosed Pod" for people that don't want to join one of the other ones. All of Canada is now part of a single pod, for now, that is called the Union of Pods of the North. Also, I made this map. Its still incomplete, but eventually we shouldn't have to worry about people no having a pod that includes their region.

is there anyway I could please have permission to post again in the canadian thread I started? I had not posted it under any pods, I'd prefer to keep it out of a pod until we figure out who actually is from canada and agree on the division/name.
    (I also see people joining the pod that arent from the area...)
    Have you decided what you're going to name the canadian pod because it still says St lawrance and it would be nice to get input from the other canadians... ona ny of the pod stuff actually. I appreciate all the hardwork you're putting into this, the artwork, it's your baby. But i think the people in the pods should decide on names and details etc. my opinion.

Im still REALLY not big on everyone being locked out until they join a pod I think especially to start recruiting people and getting buzz it's good to have em all open. (I dont think we should force people to join pods, it's supposed to help the community not force people into stuff)For instance, I'd like to start conversations about things going on in canada and see what the other pods think, suggestions they have, etc. Or perhaps we could have a common room thread where anyone from any pod could post pod related things etc. Honestly, I just would find it a lot easier to recruit to my pod and I think others would too if it wasn't so locked up right now.

can I ask what the reasoning is behind locking people out until they affiliate with a pod I think i could understand it if we had hundreds of members but we're still brand new... and to my knowledge we dont even have a board yet for members only. it feels really clicky to me

Also, just an FYI I don't expect things to change just because I don't like it, but it would be nice if there was more feedback from other people using the pods too!!!

edit winged mermaid is trying to change it to let me post in it. thx
    Last edited by AniaR; 07-29-2011 at 05:59 PM.

Raina, in reply to your concerns and feedback:

Have you decided what you're going to name the canadian pod because it still says St lawrance and it would be nice to get input from the other canadians...
    Your suggestion that there are very few Canadians so they should all be consolidated into one giant pod makes sense. Eventually if/when there are more Canadians on here it would be good for you guys to have your own pods. Because of that the group for Canada is "The Union of the Pods of the North".

I appreciate all the hardwork you're putting into this, the artwork, it's your baby. But i think the people in the pods should decide on names and details etc. my opinion.
    I totally agree. I started making logos and mascots and stuff because I wanted to help the pods get on their feet. But the logos and colors and mascots that I've made so far can be changed by the people in the pods. I would prefer that the logos and mascots follow a couple basic ideas, but the bottom line is that you guys are totally welcome to make your own logos, colors, and mascots for your pods. I basically have been choosing the names and borders, but those can probably be adjusted too if you guys want.

Im still REALLY not big on everyone being locked out until they join a pod I think especially to start recruiting people and getting buzz it's good to have em all open.

can I ask what the reasoning is behind locking people out until they affiliate with a pod I think i could understand it if we had hundreds of members but we're still brand new... and to my knowledge we dont even have a board yet for members only. it feels really clicky to me
    The idea is that I want people to actually join the pods, and if they aren't asked to join one and shown how, people won't even know there is a way to officially join them. Adding that message wasn't meant to make the pods less accessible, it was just considered a good way to get the word out on how to join a pod- it was never meant to make people feel "locked out". Joining the pods is fast and easy, and for people who want to preserve their anonymity they even have the option of joining the pod of the undisclosed. If there are a lot of people who feel strongly about this let me know and I can reevaluate this, although I can't make any guarantees.

thanks for answering,
    When I look up what members are in The Union of the Pods of the North it still says America. I still disagree that having things locked will encourage people to join at this time, I still feel it would be better to do that later, but I am the only one complaining so :P I dont expect it to change!

How do you look up the members of the Union of the Pods of the North? I wasn't aware that regular members could do that.

I was looking at the members on my friends list and I was able to see who was in what pods - I can`t seem to reproduce that action at the moment it sort of happened by fluke while clicking around so I can`t say exactly what I clicked, but if I get it to do it again I`ll tell ya!

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Artisankatie's Avatar
    I really like the Pod idea I'm in the Society for Creative Anachronism, which has a similar system of kingdoms (greetings from Lochac!). MerNetwork might be on its way to something awesome

Chesapeake Pod
    aniaR- You're not the only one who is complaining, I agree with you that we shouldn't do this until a little later
    "Silence is beautiful, not awkward. The human tendency to be afraid of something beautiful is awkward."