Thread: Tail Design

Junior Member Pod of Cali MermanCrush's Avatar

Tail Design

Wasnt sure where else to put this !
    I dont really design tails, this is my second go, wanted to base it off of a shorline. My my main things i thought of while making it were safety and speed, i adore the linden so I definitely want to use that. I was thinking of having more fins but i wanted to cut down. I might even get rid of the hips fins or the dorsal and just keep one. Do you guys have thoughts about how the colours would work in a pool? Or about the design itself?? I need help ;v;
    Named it Nemo because of childhood fulfillment reasons

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ankle fins * not hip fins

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Pod of New England
    Add Marinus Mortimer on Facebook
    Visit Marinus Mortimer's Youtube Channel
    If you want speed then I say keep the dorsal. If you want to look gracefully flowy then keep the ankle fins and maybe add hip or pectoral fins as well to complete the set. This won’t slow you down much I promise the Linden is my favorite monofin because of its speed and comfort plus the outstanding durability.

Marinus Mortimer
    formerly known as:
    Merman Marinus

Quote Originally Posted by Marinus Mortimer View Post
    If you want speed then I say keep the dorsal. If you want to look gracefully flowy then keep the ankle fins and maybe add hip or pectoral fins as well to complete the set. This won’t slow you down much I promise the Linden is my favorite monofin because of its speed and comfort plus the outstanding durability.

Thank you !! This really helps. I wasnt sure if the dorsal would weigh me down, i was getting a few different answers. Would that depend on the monofin? Like, is the linden making up for the fins or is the dorsal helping?

Pod of New England
    Non of the fins you have or could have will ever help unless we’re talking about the fluke and real fish who can adjust them to their need. The reality is the more big and “flowy” the extra fins are the more it will create drag. This doesn’t mean you’ll drown but it’s like swimming with jeans and shirt vs with swim trunks or just speedo the more streamlined you are the easiest you’ll be able to move through the water fins break the stream line somewhat because they just flow everywhere lol.

Marinus Mortimer
    formerly known as:
    Merman Marinus

Makes sense!! I think the first line confused me, to keep the dorsal if i care about speed. But no yeah i know what you mean! Thank you

Pod of New England
    Quote Originally Posted by MermanCrush View Post
    Makes sense!! I think the first line confused me, to keep the dorsal if i care about speed. But no yeah i know what you mean! Thank you

Your Welcome glad I could help! Have fun making the tail u dream of I made mine and it feels so amazing once you swim in it and know “you did it” it’s like graduating every time u swim lol it’s like that for me at least

Marinus Mortimer
    formerly known as:
    Merman Marinus

Senior Member Pod of Cali Merman Storm's Avatar
    I think the "keep the dorsal" comment was because, as a decorative item, it will not slow you much, compared to ankle fins. The ankle fins not only make drag but interfere with propulsion, so comairitvely, they would be the first to go if you want speed.

In any case, none of it makes that much difference. The power needed to propel you increases like speed cubed. If you are willing to go just a bit slower, it becomes much easier, or you can accept alot of drag. Ive found when you try new tail, the largest effect on your speed is getting use to the tail, and finding the best stroke that works with your tail.
    Are you a Frozen fan? Frozen fanfiction:
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10952902/1/Rain-of-a-Child-s-Tear

Let the storm rage on!

Yeah that makes more sense! I was liking the dorsal more than the ankle fins anyway, i think ill get rid of them. Its a safety thing for me too and i was planning for this to be fabric, so im a little worried about the weight too. Thanks for the input !!

I’m in love with your tail design!! It so beautiful!! It’s going to look AMAZING!

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Sky blue blends into swimming pool water at depth.
    Formerly known as ireneho