Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: American is really falling behind in the mermaid race.

Quote Originally Posted by MermaidRaegan View Post
    Flame sheild UP.

I liked twilight when it first came out. This being said, I was 12. Those books are written at a middle school reading level, so of course they're not going to be great. Yes, the movies are horrible. Yes, the fandom makes me want to bang my head against the nearest hard surface. And yes, it's stupid that vampires sparkle and if she messes up mermaids I'll be pretty pissed off.

But as Raina said, there will always be idiots in every fandom, and there will always be some big fad that everyone outside of it can't stand. And it kinda sucks when you're in that fandom and you're surrounded by n00bs who make you look bad or who are always raving about how their the biggest fan every and everyone else is stupid when they don't know what they're talking about. (Anyone who likes Axis Powers Hetalia will know my pain.)

So, there may be a sucky book that makes mermaids go so mainstream that we all may end up sounding like mermaiding hipsters who liked it first. Or maybe it will be like The Host and no one will care that S.Meyer wrote another book and they'll all move on to something else. The point is that we can't control what happens, and better or for worse, we're mermaids and we'll keep being mermaids even if millions of thirteen year old girls in crappy tails starting raiding swimming pools across the nation squeeing about whatever Emo hottie is going to be the love interest in this new book. And who knows, maybe the book will actually be GOOD.

...... yeah, even I'm having a hard time believing that last bit.
    same. i love the books, i read them before i heard of the movies, and i went to see it with my mom on the premier night, i hated the movie she loved it. it seems that bad movies get a little more time in the spotlight because everyone is craking jokes and just won't let it die down.

Senior Member Pod of the Great Lakes Bellasea's Avatar
    That sounds about right^^ One of my best friends wanted to see Breaking Dawn when it came out; I went with her. I don't watch much TV, so I had not seen any of the preveiws for it. I had read the books and I enjoyed them. Get to the theater turns out it was only part one. I asked the chick at the desk, "are you sure it's only part one?" I was soo upset, but then I thought, great Jaccob's POV will sshow up more. Nope. What did they make part one---sex and blood. That was it. The movie sucked, and I probaly won't go see part 2.
    Tenacity.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Miel's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Miel's Youtube Channel
    To be honest, when the books came out I read the first... and went back mid-story to Christine Feehan.
    (Also Paranormal Romance, but targeted more to adults who ask questions such as, if Vampires are a seperate species, shouldn't they have their own language? Are their dating/mating rituals different too?... etc. ;D )
    I was a huge Carpathians fan at that point so already into vampires, just not sparkly ones.

However, I agree to a point. The S.M. mermaid books may suck to us mermaids, but to the broader pre-teen public who are out-growing H2O it might get them loving mermaids again.
    Eventually the Twi-hards grow out of it and either read other ParaRomance literature or dont. However for our community and our tail-makers this might be a boon that brings us new friends and more revenue, because like Raina said
    Quote Originally Posted by AniaR View Post
    hey we take the fandom further, they cant really BECOME vamps, but we all become mers!

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Miel's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Miel's Youtube Channel
    Back on the topic of mermaid TV Series, Why not make your own? Film a pilot episode or skit for this months challenge or just for the local Community TV station.
    My local one is 44Adelaide, it's only available on the new digital FreeTV system and is often ignored due to lack of a Tv Guide and poor show quality.

Senior Member Pod of Cali Prince Calypso's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MermaidRaegan View Post
    Flame sheild UP.

I liked twilight when it first came out. This being said, I was 12. Those books are written at a middle school reading level, so of course they're not going to be great. Yes, the movies are horrible. Yes, the fandom makes me want to bang my head against the nearest hard surface. And yes, it's stupid that vampires sparkle and if she messes up mermaids I'll be pretty pissed off.

But as Raina said, there will always be idiots in every fandom, and there will always be some big fad that everyone outside of it can't stand. And it kinda sucks when you're in that fandom and you're surrounded by n00bs who make you look bad or who are always raving about how their the biggest fan every and everyone else is stupid when they don't know what they're talking about. (Anyone who likes Axis Powers Hetalia will know my pain.)

So, there may be a sucky book that makes mermaids go so mainstream that we all may end up sounding like mermaiding hipsters who liked it first. Or maybe it will be like The Host and no one will care that S.Meyer wrote another book and they'll all move on to something else. The point is that we can't control what happens, and better or for worse, we're mermaids and we'll keep being mermaids even if millions of thirteen year old girls in crappy tails starting raiding swimming pools across the nation squeeing about whatever Emo hottie is going to be the love interest in this new book. And who knows, maybe the book will actually be GOOD.

...... yeah, even I'm having a hard time believing that last bit.

i agree with you and Raina. there will always be a fandom and quite honestly i hate those people who are like "well i was a fan before it became mainstream"
    cause my response is usually my fist in their face

i also agree that twilight isn't all that bad when your a teenager or tween
    the only thing i hated was that Stephanie Mayer did no research on vampire and made up like fifty percent of her crap. i mean having a unique idea is fine but when an entire generation of people now believe that all vampire sparkle and that a werewolf and shape shifter are the same thing it kinda irks me

i spent an entire two weeks have to explain to my little cousins that no real vampire don't sparkle and that no there is not difference beween animal blood and human blood and that yes vampires do have fangs and that yes Edward would get his ass kick if he and Lestat or Dracula or even fucking blade were to get into a fight and no werewolves aren the same thing as shape shifters and yes Jacob is hot as ice

i just don't want Stephanie Mayer to do the same thing with mermaids and ruin that myth as well.
    Little Sailor, Little fool, your better heed the golden rule
    do unto other just as you, would like to to have them do to you
    you think you can just walk away,but no, it doesn't work that way
    see once your mine, your'll always be
    I never give anything for free...

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    I really do not feel that passionate one way or another about twilight. I liked the books, I liked the movies. No more than I like most things. And I dont really run into the fandom anywhere- but perhaps that's just my age? *shrug* I read all the hunger games books because my students were reading it and I had concerns since they're all like 8,9, and 10.

It would be a great idea, like MeriaMiel said, to start a GOOD youtube series with mermaids. I would totally support that. We need some quality stuff around, juuuust in case the mermaid fanbase starts growing with a new, bad, mermaid novel. I'm praying that if S.M. does write one, it'll be better. And I'll have to check out those books you mentioned, draggersprez.

Quote Originally Posted by AniaR View Post
    hey we take the fandom further, they cant really BECOME vamps, but we all become mers!
    i meant to comment on this earliers, but i kept forgetting what i was going to say. :3 but there is actually a vampire community. There're 3(?) different type of vampires, theres the kind that actually drinks blood, the kind that feed off of spiritual energy and the kind that feeds from sexual interaction. One of the most famous vampires is the vampire Don. And the Twilight craze actually created more people who went into the vampire community thinking they were going to be like Edward and the Cullens. But just like being a mermaid, most vampires know when they're meant to be a vampire. And these people who were going into the community because of Twilight were just doing it to be cool and not because they actually felt a connection to being a vampire.

And i'm sure that with a new wave of mermaid interest, there will be people who probably will look down on other mers but only joined it because they think it's cool or to attract attention. (imagine, hit movies and books and you hear someone mention in a conversation about the latest hit movie that he/she is a mermaid/man and then, the convo starts to revolve around them. i have seen it happen with the twilight and trueblood fandom. and to top it all off, people usually have the wrong information and gives that out about the community making us all look like a bunch of mysterious people jumping into holes in masses of water with cloaks and what not on followed by unicorns.) but hey! i still say bring it on! we'll be able to deal with that. :3

OH, and S.M's mermaids are....TIME TRAVELERS!?

Senior Member Pod of The South
    Wooooow.... after seeing the trailer I REALLY want to see Aryana!! :o

Call me a geek, but I'd like to find a really REALLY good mermaid comic series

Quote Originally Posted by SireniaSolaris View Post
    Call me a geek, but I'd like to find a really REALLY good mermaid comic series
    yeah, i've been looking for a while. the best I could find was Grimm fairy tales:myths and legends. which seems to have alot of mermaids in the entire series.

and Grimm fiary tales issue 25 and 26 which is dedicated to the little mermaid.

That makes me just want to get out there and draw my own comic. But I'm kind of useless at writing unless it's with someone else.... I could illustrate for somebody though! *Bats eyelashes* And the time traveling mermaid thing doesn't sound too horrible, really.. it just depends on how it's done.

Also I thought I should say this: I don't dislike vampires. I have read a few of Christine Feehan's books, among other things, and I actually really like them... however I do not appreciate the sparkly kind.
    Last edited by LittleTreasure; 05-10-2012 at 10:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleTreasure View Post
    That makes me just want to get out there and draw my own comic. But I'm kind of useless at writing unless it's with someone else.... I could illustrate for somebody though! *Bats eyelashes* And the time traveling mermaid thing doesn't sound too horrible, really.. it just depends on how it's done.

Also I thought I should say this: I don't dislike vampires. I have read a few of Christine Feehan's books, among other things, and I actually really like them... however I do not
    appreciate the sparkly kind.
    *holds up pen and binder pull of paper* what you got?

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Calypso View Post
    Its all becasue of that shitty melodrama drizzle called Twilight!!!!
    *causes storm from sheer annoyance*
    I swear there are days i want to grab stephanie myery and just shake her yelling "do you have any idea what you have done!! YOU'VE CREATED A MONSTER!!!!"

what the mercammunity needs is a serge of mermaid literature that will grab teen girls and boys by their raging hormones
    then movies and tv shows will fallow.

*stands and applauds* I couldn't agree more. Since Twilight came out there has been nothing but monotonous
    werewolf and vampire books. WE NEED MORE MERMAID FICTION!!!!!!

oh no.
    time-travelling mermaids?

i dont want to live on this planet anymore.
    shes going to ruin mermaids just like she ruined vampires.
    oh man. this sucks.

dear j.k. rowling,
    Y U NO WRITES MERFOLK STORIES?!

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Annariea View Post
    oh no.

oh man. this sucks.

dear j.k. rowling,
    THIS!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Annariea View Post
    oh no.

oh man. this sucks.

dear j.k. rowling,
    i second this.

Senior Member Pod of Cali spottedcatfish's Avatar
    Follow spottedcatfish On Twitter Add spottedcatfish on Facebook Add spottedcatfish on Google+
    Follow spottedcatfish on Tumblr Visit spottedcatfish's Youtube Channel
    Ok forget shows about mermaids, which will be predictable or pre-pubescent anyways... H20 was Australian. Good ol' Channel Ten... and There are a few mermaid comic books, that is: Elf-fin, and maybe Fathom comic. Google them for more info. What I want to see is a movie geared towards adults, or smartly done like Splash was, that features BOTH mermaids and mermen. I am kind of looking forward to the new Mako island, H2O spin off series, it looks more action packed and not just the teen girls get tails... I think American popularity hasn't really caught the mermaid bug yet. I'd love it if that happened, but I may go all hipster mermaid, if things start to get all out of control, like what happened with Twilight and that Vampire craze... yes I will stand my guard in that I am genuinely interested in merfolk, a few decades before they got popular and in the mainstream... and I won't deny it!

Senior Member Pod of Texas
    Pod of The South
    In the general area of Webster and Clear Lake in Texas
    I will continue to lurk here and realize that everyone is voicing what I'm thinking. >,O
    Swamp fish noises intensify

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Pickles View Post
    I will continue to lurk here and realize that everyone is voicing what I'm thinking. >,O
    I know right! XD It's like I'm not around since I haven't been posting, but everything has already been said lol.