Thread: New merperson!!

Junior Member Pod of Oceania coro-mer's Avatar

New merperson!!

Hey everyone! I’m so excited to be part of the mermaid community! My name is Reid, I’m non-binary (so that makes me a merperson rather than a mermaid), and I’ve recently purchased my first monofin and tail!

I jumped straight to the Linden because I feel like I can handle it, I’m a very confident and capable swimmer and I practically grew up in the water snorkelling and freediving in the beautiful Coromandel Peninsula. I also have my PADI Open Water certification as of a few summers ago!

My plan is to use the Linden and a Mertailor Guppy skin to practice in while I make my own tail. Unfortunately neither of those items have arrived yet, but that’s not a problem as the water here is cold enough to freeze your fins off at the moment haha

I’d love to get to know more merfolk in NZ, there aren’t that many of us unfortunately but my hope is for that to change :)
    [ Reid - they/them - New Zealand ]

I forgot to add to my original post, but I’ve been interested in becoming a mer for quite a while, I’ve just never had the funds or the motivation before. I did some research years ago when I was in high school, but I was put off by shipping prices because shipping to New Zealand is quite frankly extortionate. Anyway, now that I have a stable job and plenty of savings, I’ve bit the bullet and jumped right in!

My parents are both mariners by trade (my mother is now a stay-at-home mum but has a history of sailing and marine activity) so learning to swim was always a very important thing in my family. My love for water and the ocean has been present since I was a child, and I’m lucky enough to spend a lot of time in the sea snorkelling, fishing and freediving.

I have a lot of respect for the ocean - I’ve seen her glass-calm on summer mornings, frothing and churning grey in storms, and black as night lit with thousands of tiny bioluminescent stars from within. I know how fast she can change and how merciless she can be, and I never swim outside my ability. She’s a beautiful thing, but she can be dangerous too.

Getting my scuba license was a gateway to seeing the same old underwater world through a new lens, and it was one of the best moments of my life! I’m hoping becoming a merperson will be a similar experience for me, and I know that feeling like I belong underwater will give me more respect for it :)

Hi coro-mer glad you could join us!
    Just to insure i don't say anything to offend or distress you in future interactions we may have i am going to ask now, is merfolk an acceptable term to refer to you as?
    Also i have been considering investing in the Adult mermaid linden monofin by body glove and i was just wondering if you think that getting a Linden is worth it performance wise?

Hello, having sailors parents and such a lifestyle sure you're lucky !

Quote Originally Posted by Eranthis View Post
    Hi coro-mer glad you could join us!
    Just to insure i don't say anything to offend or distress you in future interactions we may have i am going to ask now, is merfolk an acceptable term to refer to you as?
    Also i have been considering investing in the Adult mermaid linden monofin by body glove and i was just wondering if you think that getting a Linden is worth it performance wise?
    Thank you so much for asking, it means a lot! I’m fine with any term, with a preference for neutral ones such as merfolk, merperson, mer, etc but I don’t mind if you use mermaid or merman.

As for the monofin, I can’t give you any advice because mine hasn’t actually arrived yet! I bought it on pre-order through Finfolk because the official Mermaid Linden site doesn’t ship to New Zealand, but I’ll let you know when it arrives how the performance is. I chose the Linden because I’ve heard it has good propulsion, which is important to me! I also like the shape (more than the Mahina at least lol!)
    Last edited by coro-mer; 08-09-2021 at 09:08 PM. Reason: Glitched and posted before I was ready

Welcome to the community! I can definitely share your love and appreciation for the sea. I wish I could have grown up in the water as you did. Unfortunately, neither of my parents are swimmers or want anything to do with the water. My mom put me in swimming lessons as soon as I could kick, and I've been known as the fish of the family ever since! I've wanted to be a marine biologist for as long as I can remember just because of my love for the water. I definitely understand your feeling of belonging under water. I'm working toward earning my scuba certifications, but I have to pass an asthma test from my doctor first (mine is pretty severe and could actually keep me from diving, but fingers crossed that doesn't happen)!
    Anyway, I can't wait for you to get your monofin and tail. I'm waiting on mine as well. Happy swimming!

@coro-mer
    Thank you for responding I didn't want to be that person and use an incorrect term to refer to another. Personally what made me start considering the mermaid linden is it's reported ease of use promoting proper form and it's durability as the pool i swim in is extremely rough and my brand new fin fun AMP monofin and tail are already starting to deteriorate even though i got them just last month.