Thread: otter body/tail (fabric printing and flukes)

otter body/tail (fabric printing and flukes)

hello! im new to mermaiding, and im trying to figure out how to cost-effectively and accurately make an otter merman tail, specifically with the flukes. I'm not sure which would work/look better/more realistic.

i have two options, my first being a finis luna monofin. I'm exploring the idea of the back legs being fused, though im unsure that this would look realistic, as the front legs will be my arms (getting webbed gloves), and i fear the distance between them would look unlike an otter, along with it just seeming unnatural. Though, otters do swim with their back paws close together, so again i dont know.

my second option is bifins, which i already own from swim team years back. This would be cost effective, as the only thing i'd need to buy is general sewing materials and my custom printed fabric (which im not sure how to do,, any help would be appreciated along with my fluke-dilemma). It would also look more realistic, as obviously otters dont have fused paws, and i could move them slightly independently. But, i'm a little worried about the comfort and fin-shaping, i think it might look weird stretching over the fins like that, even if i do shape it a little with my fabric.

does anyone have any tips on fabric printing, and ideas on which option for flukes i should go for?

thank you in advance, very appreciated! <3
    he / they
    just an otter merman living their best life.

This is an extremely rough drawing but it's an idea you could roll with, depending on which monofin you wanna get you could make this shape with a few and if you want a little less over the top kind of fluke look at the finis luna

https://imgur.com/a/RvMbRzH

This one could work with a mahina, fish fin (lucia mermaid) you might be able to do it with a fantasea fin, and a few others a luna probably won't look best with the added 'otter tail bit' but you can incorporate the webbed feet look, hope this makes it a little easier i know its not the best drawing but it's an idea

that went swimmingly

Quote Originally Posted by arabella delta View Post
    This is an extremely rough drawing but it's an idea you could roll with, depending on which monofin you wanna get you could make this shape with a few and if you want a little less over the top kind of fluke look at the finis luna

https://imgur.com/a/RvMbRzH

This one could work with a mahina, fish fin (lucia mermaid) you might be able to do it with a fantasea fin, and a few others a luna probably won't look best with the added 'otter tail bit' but you can incorporate the webbed feet look, hope this makes it a little easier i know its not the best drawing but it's an idea

that went swimmingly
    OHMYHECK them little footies <3.<3
    The Magical Mystical MerFanc
    A Welsh Lake Monster with control of weather, water and water creatures.
    Resident sea monster, best friend of sharks and ducks, lover of the Deep Ocean.
    Known on all other social media as theAfanc

Haha, I think with out realising it i drew it like a more dramatic siren tail but it makes sense as otters are predators too
    Quote Originally Posted by theMerFanc View Post
    OHMYHECK them little footies <3.<3
    that went swimmingly