Thread: San Diego Mers?

Junior Member Pod of Cali Mermaid Oshiera's Avatar

San Diego Mers?

Hi there! I just moved over around La Jolla and I was wondering if there were any local pods or groups around.

Also, are there any swim location suggestions? (pools or natural) La Jolla cove looks pretty, but I don't know if it would be safe to bring a tail there.

Hi! I am somewhat semi new to the community myself and I live in North County San Diego. It is a little difficult to find pools that accommodate tails since most have a policy against it because of children that have used them unsafely in the past. Some of the lifeguards I’ve contacted at my local pool think that if a child sees a “mermaid” that it will encourage them to get a tail too which is why they ban it even though I’ve had years of swim team/lifeguard experience myself. It’s a little silly at times and it makes trying to find places frustrating. But sometimes I use my gym’s 24 hour fitness pool or use the YMCA pools since they don’t really have any quarrel with it for the most part. Those gym/ymca pools however I use my smaller fin fun/ fantasea 1 fin tails since there are sometimes crowds/ pre-spaced swimming lanes which make the space tighter. I’ve heard some parts of Mission Bay are calm enough to swim in but I haven’t tried it yet. It’s tricky to find nature swims because you would think that San Diego has all these opportunities for mermaid tails but a lot of the waves and beaches are rough/ have waves with high swells and I don’t get too comfortable to swim there, and some of the lakes are not swimmable. I would love to get in touch though to find swimming places! I know coronado’s hotel del also does like a mermaid fitness class, I haven’t tried it due to long distance/price. I’ve been trying to find more people in the area though!

Junior Member Pod of Cali Echos's Avatar
    I just moved to San Diego as well! I'm located in South Park. I haven't found a place to swim yet but would love to meet some other mers in the area! I have just joined the YMCA to get back into regular swimming since I haven't had access to a pool since the pandemic started.