Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Giant Clam Shell Prop

Heh this is a pic of my friend Ginger Valentine. I just made her most recent costume for her and am working on her next one! ;D The producer of the NOLA show had the prop made for her.

Quote Originally Posted by draggersprez View Post
    Last edited by Blaze; 06-20-2014 at 10:37 AM.

It wouldn't be that hard to make a hard clamshell, but the thing would be awfully cumbersome to transport. The air mattress is a perfect solution,but there must be a less expensive way to get one. I wonder how much it would cost to have one custom made.

or...

How about a cartop clamshell carrier, sawed into a shell shape and painted?

Mermaid Galene (pronounced Guh-LEE-nee)

Mermaid Galene Web• Neptune's Keep Web• Facebook•MG YouTube•NK YouTube•Etsy Shop

Neptune's Keep makes music with fish. Fish have hidden depths!

Senior Member Pod of The South Aziara's Avatar
    Here's a cheapo option: painted plywood and a snow toboggan. http://www.designdazzle.com/2009/06/...party-ideas-3/
    Also known as Salina Tideglow

I too am looking for a giant clam shell to be used as a backdrop for dry photo ops. I found the most AMAZING option, but it's only available in New Zealand, and the cost of shipping is over $1000 (USA) while it only cost $20. :-(

You can see what I had my hopes set on here: http://www.thewarehouse.co.nz/red/ca...lue?SKU=620675

Can anyone help me? I am NOT crafty and do NOT desire to make mine out of cardboard nor Styrofoam myself. I want to buy it, paint it, decorate it, and haul it all over taking photos. :-) In my Ford Tarus, so size matters.
    Last edited by LauraLWatson; 07-06-2014 at 02:07 AM.
    Laura the Mermaid of The MerFriends
    www.LauraLWatson.com
    www.TheMerFriends.com
    Info@TheMerFriends.com

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel
    I've seen pools like that before, have you searched for clamshell or seashell kiddie pools? I'm sure there's something in the us

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Pod of The South Aziara's Avatar
    Amazon has it with $30 dollar shipping http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000LN...530_em_1p_0_ti
    Also known as Salina Tideglow

Thanks so much everyone! That one on amazon is about half the size of what I need. I want to be able to fit 2 adults or 1 adult and 2 children in it comfortably. My brother in law is handy with tools and my sister is an artist, so we're going to see what kind of mess we can make in the garage. If it works out, he'd be happy to make more and sell them.
    www.LauraLWatson.com
    www.TheMerFriends.com
    Info@TheMerFriends.com

This are kinda fun:

http://www.toysplash.com/aquasofapoolfloat.html

http://www.amazon.com/Seashell-Sofa-...3272609&sr=1-1

I just ordered one of these. Not a shell, but a fun chair for kid gigs.

Mermaid Galene (pronounced Guh-LEE-nee)

Mermaid Galene Web• Neptune's Keep Web• Facebook•MG YouTube•NK YouTube•Etsy Shop

Neptune's Keep makes music with fish. Fish have hidden depths!

Haha! I was TOTALLY going to buy one of those, and was debating, until I realized most of my swimming gigs are in small pools and these would be a safety issue with swimmers getting trapped underneath. Depending on cost of supplies and how my wood shell turns out, this may be my back up plan. I especially like the white sofa. Maybe I could paint it. I'm too pale to pose in front of anything all white and still be seen!
    www.LauraLWatson.com
    www.TheMerFriends.com
    Info@TheMerFriends.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Galene View Post
    This are kinda fun:

http://www.toysplash.com/aquasofapoolfloat.html

http://www.amazon.com/Seashell-Sofa-...3272609&sr=1-1

I just ordered one of these. Not a shell, but a fun chair for kid gigs.
    These would be nice in a gig with more than one mer so mers could be swimming and one or more could be resting on the floaty when they got tired.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    I've looked into these for us and with the currency exchange rate and the s and h most of these options are double sometimes 3 times as much for us. Just not worth it. lol fun novelty but not practical for us

Man, I do custom theater and costume props, including large builds. i should design collapsible shells for events and sell them..I bet i could come up with a design that would portable and not too expensive!

I didn't know mermaids needed stuff like this! XD
    Last edited by Aquarianne; 07-06-2014 at 06:18 PM.

I am so obsessed with Ginger Valentine. That's awesome that you got to work with her, Blaze.

YES. Yes, you should, Aquarianne. :-)
    www.LauraLWatson.com
    www.TheMerFriends.com
    Info@TheMerFriends.com

Well, your brother has the mad skills to make one too, so you start one as well! XD We'll meet somewhere in the middle!

I'm working on making one soon for a big event I have coming up. Just a half shell though. I'm not yet sure what I will make it out of.
    come find Mermaid-Odette on facebook!
    my website is here
    instagram

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/KahWlYkRbiGo8" width="480" height="360" frameborder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>via GIPHY

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMermaid View Post
    I am so obsessed with Ginger Valentine. That's awesome that you got to work with her, Blaze.
    She is kinda awesome; we are very lucky to have a big pool of burly talent here in Dallas! Was texting with her today as I was dyeing feathers for her all weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquarianne View Post
    Man, I do custom theater and costume props, including large builds. i should design collapsible shells for events and sell them..I bet i could come up with a design that would portable and not too expensive!

I didn't know mermaids needed stuff like this! XD
    That is a fine idea!
    Because you can be a mermaid and have an immortal soul!

COMING SOMETIME (THERE'S NO HURRY):
    MY TAIL; Merbella Studios and Tia Michelle Pesando's Collaboration,
    THE FIRE ANGEL SEA DRAGON a.k.a.
    THE MER ON FIRE​!

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    Thinking of a collapsible one made with spring steel (think pop up hamper), pool noodles and a fabric skin. It's gotta fit in a Corolla. Hmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by PearlieMae View Post
    Thinking of a collapsible one made with spring steel (think pop up hamper), pool noodles and a fabric skin. It's gotta fit in a Corolla. Hmmmm

I was thinking that, but a fabric skin over that much surface area would catch major wind whenever the breeze blows XD Wouldn't want it to blow over when it's outdoors, although I think that design would be cool for indoor displays.

What would everyone's roundabout budget be for buying a clamshell "throne" set up? I've been working on a few designs and making a couple small-scale models, but it would be easier to pick building materials if I knew the price range everyone would like to see. Would something like 200$ be too much, assuming it's about a 5'6" tall waterproof shell, approx. 6' wide, and collapses down to something that can be put inside a car back seat?

*scribbles furiously on graph paper*