Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Giant Clam Shell Prop

Senior Member Union of Pods of the North Marie-Josie Cayer's Avatar
    Add Marie-Josie Cayer on Facebook
    Wow! You are all blowing me away with those shell props coming up!

I REALLY want that one that the Renaissance festival has for the Finfolk girls.
    ---------------------------------
    Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/MermaidLorelei
    Etsy - http://www.etsy.com/shop/ShipwreckCouture
    Instagram - http://instagram.com/mermaid_lorelei

Email - mermaidoutfitters@gmail.com
    ---------------------------------
    Mernetwork Moderator

Senior Member Euro Pod Mermaid Crystal Shimmer's Avatar
    Follow Mermaid Crystal Shimmer On Twitter Add Mermaid Crystal Shimmer on Facebook
    Follow Mermaid Crystal Shimmer on Tumblr Follow Mermaid Crystal Shimmer on Flickr Visit Mermaid Crystal Shimmer's Youtube Channel
    In the Netherlands we have these children's pools/sandbox. They are offered a lot on second-hand websites for only 10 euro's. I'm planning on buying one and repaint it and stuff it with pillows for events ^_^
    Name:  $_85.JPG
Views: 17351
Size:  37.4 KB

Giant Clam Shell Prop

They have these in the U.S. too! They have them at Walmart I bought some and am thinking of making molds out of them just trying to find the right material to use.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    Love it! I'm going to keep my eyes open for these!

Senior Member Pod of Texas Seatan's Avatar
    Add Seatan on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Isabel(: View Post
    They have these in the U.S. too! They have them at Walmart I bought some and am thinking of making molds out of them just trying to find the right material to use.
    Fiberglass, maybe?
    Once upon a time I was known as Seavanna. Going by Seatan these days. I always wanted to be the high lord of underwater hell.

Giant Clam Shell Prop

That's a good idea I'm not sure how hard it would be to transport that to gigs. Maybe use fiberglass and put foam on the bottom one and a pillow as well so I can sit in it?

Senior Member Pod of Texas Seatan's Avatar
    Add Seatan on Facebook
    I do know that the clam shell at the Scarboroough Renaissance Faire that you see in Finfolk pictures is apparently VERY uncomfortable to sit on, especially in the HOT sun (so says one of the mermaids from the lagoon) so pillows are definitely a grand idea!
    Once upon a time I was known as Seavanna. Going by Seatan these days. I always wanted to be the high lord of underwater hell.

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    I've looked around.
    The kid sand-/waterclam is apparently flimsy, very small (not even a 7 yr old could sit in it) and doesn't look realistic in the slightest.
    The one Finfolk had, however...man, that's awesome!
    I wonder where they got it?!

Couldn't find anything similar, so I bought a very life-like, inflatable green snake as pool- or other prop.
    Was really cheap too, guess snakes aren't poular

Giant Clam Shell Prop

I haven't seen the clam shell from finfolk I'll have to look it up! I know the kid pools I have are pretty big I've already sat in it and it is indeed very flimsy that's why I'm just using them as molds and then I can add texture and make it more realistic hopefully.

Giant Clam Shell Prop

I haven't seen the clam shell from finfolk I'll have to look it up! I know the kid pools I have are pretty big I've already sat in it and it is indeed very flimsy that's why I'm just using them as molds and then I can add texture and make it more realistic hopefully

Giant Clam Shell Prop

What if you made a faux rock on bottom for more stability and then a clam seat?

Member Pod of Texas mermaid_ashes's Avatar
    Add mermaid_ashes on Facebook
    http://bluegenieart.com this place makes fiberglass sculpture peices for a lot of the bissinues in austin. I saw some of their work during the Austin art studio tour. I dont know what they would charge but i know they could make one.

Giant Clam Shell Prop

Quote Originally Posted by mermaid_ashes View Post
    http://bluegenieart.com this place makes fiberglass sculpture peices for a lot of the bissinues in austin. I saw some of their work during the Austin art studio tour. I dont know what they would charge but i know they could make one.
    Wow thanks

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Kelphinea_Kelp's Avatar
    Add Kelphinea_Kelp on Facebook
    what if you shaped one out styrofoam then covered it in layers of plaster stripes for a mold, then cut it around the sides to pull the foam form out... then take the plaster shell mold seal the sides and leave one open hole to pour liquid resin. you could make 2 halves drill hinges and paint them.

Owner of TSL-The Siren's Lair™
    2008-present
    ©

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    Even with rotocasting to make it hollow, you're still looking at hundreds of dollars in resin, and the weight would be unmanageable.

I think your best bet is to carve one out of dense styrofoam (like the thick, pink house insulation), notch the two halves so they fit together in the open position. Paint it with a primer base coat and decorate with acrylics. if you make the bottom half thick, it should be sturdy enough to support you.

Some sort of foam (perhaps an injection mold of some sort? granted that's defs on a larger scale) would HAVE to be the way to go about this. That or plastic, and plastic would be on a large scale like an injection mold.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Kelphinea_Kelp's Avatar
    Add Kelphinea_Kelp on Facebook
    I wonder if there is a way to maybe make a clam shape of of some soft sponge like material and then coat it with something to make it hard?

Owner of TSL-The Siren's Lair™
    2008-present
    ©

Plasti Dip is pricey but it hardens things. Sponge material? Not sure that would be good to use.

Senior Member Pod of The South Aziara's Avatar
    Plasti Dip isn't really hard, more like medium-stiff rubber. I used the spray one, however, not the dip. No idea whether the dip would end up with a harder end product.
    Also known as Salina Tideglow