Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Giant Clam Shell Prop

That's a bit bigger than I would need, but the price is about right. I mean, cheaper is always better, but I want it to last and look good when photographed. Collapsible giant clam shell we can sit in sounds like the holy grail, but if there is any group of people on the planet who could make it work, it'd be a theater person!
    Laura the Mermaid of The MerFriends
    www.LauraLWatson.com
    www.TheMerFriends.com
    Info@TheMerFriends.com

Senior Member Pod of The South Aziara's Avatar
    I'm watching this thread for any updates now... Would you have different sizes too? I was thinking of something that could be put on a cart and would fit through a doorway, so I could be wheeled in on a shell.
    Also known as Salina Tideglow

I dont know about something that could fit through a doorway...do you mean a standard inside door frame? It would have to be super narrow. What kind of wagon...like a radio flyer style wagon? I suppose you could build the shell onto it sideways, but then you wouldnt be facing the people asyou were wheeled in. Plus it would have to be custom made and built around the wagon.

Although, I was wondering about creating a cool entrance for parties myself! What are the dimensions of your wagon?

Senior Member Pod of The South Aziara's Avatar
    I don't actually have a wagon yet, unfortunately. It was just an idea I've been throwing around in my head. Seems like it would be great way to make a first impression! Though to fit through a doorway, I get that it would have to be narrow (I'm thinking if I get dressed inside and get wheeled out to the pool, at least one doorway would be involved). Perhaps narrow and tall? More like an angel wing shell than a scallop or clam?
    Also known as Salina Tideglow

I'm thinking a 5'6" tall shell would be *too* big... unless you mean that is the full length of both pieces when open? Considering we'll be sitting in the shell I'm thinking a height of one half of the shell wouldn't have to be bigger than 3-4 feet tall.

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel
    I would love it at that price!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Aziara View Post
    I don't actually have a wagon yet, unfortunately. It was just an idea I've been throwing around in my head. Seems like it would be great way to make a first impression! Though to fit through a doorway, I get that it would have to be narrow (I'm thinking if I get dressed inside and get wheeled out to the pool, at least one doorway would be involved). Perhaps narrow and tall? More like an angel wing shell than a scallop or clam?

That's not a bad idea! Actually, now that I think on it...if the person pulling your wagon is in front of you and pulling when you come in the door, the front-facing shell effect would be ruined anyway, because they'd be blocking the kids' view of you as they pull in front. it actually would be better to do the shell longways on the wagon, then have the handler pull the wagon in and take a sharp left or right, so the wagon naturally positions itself facing the audience. Plus there are some modern radio flyer wagons that already have slots on the side for canopy supports, that a stand-up shell design could fit right onto! paint the rest of the wagon white to match the upright shell, hang some seaweed around and over the edges...that would look pretty cool!

Blaze: oh, well if you only wanted it about 4 feet tall opened, that would be MUCH easier and cheaper to make! I was going off the dimensions of a previously posted picture, the one Finfolk made But for a 4 foot tall back shell, say with a matching bottom "shell" that's actually a very big waterproof cushion shaped just like the other half of the shell, which would be easier and more comfy to sit on and involve fewer banged shins for kids trying to lean in for a photo...that would be WAY more economical! XD
    Last edited by Aquarianne; 07-08-2014 at 09:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquarianne View Post
    Blaze: oh, well if you only wanted it about 4 feet tall opened, that would be MUCH easier and cheaper to make! I was going off the dimensions of a previously posted picture, the one Finfolk made But for a 4 foot tall back shell, say with a matching bottom "shell" that's actually a very big waterproof cushion shaped just like the other half of the shell, which would be easier and more comfy to sit on and involve fewer banged shins for kids trying to lean in for a photo...that would be WAY more economical! XD
    This is the one FinFolk made I believe:
    Name:  574623_179000625597217_1805582114_n.jpg
Views: 9281
Size:  69.2 KB

That is the sort of dimensions I am talking about; from where she is sitting on the 'crease' of the shell to the top point of it above her head can't be more than 4 feet.

Yeah that one! Funny, I remember it being bigger when I looked at the photo first, but now I see what you mean, it's not that tall at all!

I started a shell chair. A complete giant clam shell is too hard to move around, difficult to take photos with kids, and too low to the ground for me. It needs to be easier to take photos with kids and something I can fit in the car if I can't use the old truck.
    This was the basic idea for the base:
    Name:  101_1498.JPG
Views: 2455
Size:  327.0 KB
    THIS is what it looks like right now in the shop. It's pretty darn huge for the back of a chair, but needs to look less like a fan. The faintly drawn head is how big it is compared to me sitting in front of it.
    Name:  101_1499.JPG
Views: 2461
Size:  273.4 KB
    Name:  101_1500.JPG
Views: 3123
Size:  393.4 KB
    This is what I will do to fix it. Make it smaller and add more lines. I have the extra lines in already just need to now wait till sunset and use the dirt to trace where to cut. Once the base is finished, I will work on what details I want on this chair. maybe some large shells on the side for arm rests or glittering waves pouring over the sides. Maybe straight up GLITTER! lol
    come find Mermaid-Odette on facebook!
    my website is here
    instagram

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/KahWlYkRbiGo8" width="480" height="360" frameborder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>via GIPHY

What a great idea, Odette. I'm thinking of doing something similar with a shell wheelchair back. We're about to start a series of busking (street theater) musical appearances in costume. I'll be in a wheelchair. A shell back would be a great set!

Mermaid Galene (pronounced Guh-LEE-nee)

Mermaid Galene WebNeptune's Keep WebFacebookMG YouTubeNK YouTubeEtsy Shop

Neptune's Keep makes music with fish. Fish have hidden depths!

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Galene View Post
    What a great idea, Odette. I'm thinking of doing something similar with a shell wheelchair back. We're about to start a series of busking (street theater) musical appearances in costume. I'll be in a wheelchair. A shell back would be a great set!
    Thanks. It's part of a big event I am doing in August. There will be two shell halves on each side of the chair and a blue water background behind me. I was told I will have a kiddie pool there too so I can put my fin in that while I sit.
    Break a leg with your busking! <3
    my website is here
    instagram

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/KahWlYkRbiGo8" width="480" height="360" frameborder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>via GIPHY

What legs?

Your mermaid throne sounds brilliant, Odette, and the kiddie pool is an excellent idea as well; it's an excuse to remain in mermaid form, as you are keeping your tail wet!
    Because you can be a mermaid and have an immortal soul!

COMING SOMETIME (THERE'S NO HURRY):
    MY TAIL; Merbella Studios and Tia Michelle Pesando's Collaboration,
    THE FIRE ANGEL SEA DRAGON a.k.a.
    THE MER ON FIRE​!

Finished the shell! Well, at least the top part, the rest of the chair isn't finished yet. I am still unsure what to do with the chair.Name:  10484540_10201564086143793_4313649499505362130_n.jpg
Views: 6290
Size:  73.1 KB
    my website is here
    instagram

Looks good!

Mermaid Galene (pronounced Guh-LEE-nee)

Mermaid Galene WebNeptune's Keep WebFacebookMG YouTubeNK YouTubeEtsy Shop

Neptune's Keep makes music with fish. Fish have hidden depths!

WOW you and the shell look gorgeous! The giant beach ball is a nice touch; you look like Barbie having fun in Mermaidia​ (that is a compliment from me)!

(P.S. Seeing that pic immediately started the following song playing in my head:
    "Hands up, baby, hands up!
    Give me your heart gimme gimme
    Your heart gimme gimme"
    Am I the only one here old enough to remember it?)

THE MER ON FIRE​!

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Galene View Post
    Looks good!
    thank you ^^
    my website is here
    instagram

Quote Originally Posted by MermaidMichelle View Post
    WOW you and the shell look gorgeous! The giant beach ball is a nice touch; you look like Barbie having fun in Mermaidia​ (that is a compliment from me)!

(P.S. Seeing that pic immediately started the following song playing in my head:
    "Hands up, baby, hands up!
    Give me your heart gimme gimme
    Your heart gimme gimme"
    Am I the only one here old enough to remember it?)
    LOL. Even Moon Mermaid called me the barbie mermaid! Never watched mermaidia, but its cute. i'm ok with this nickname. lol
    What is that song? Its familiar. Thank you!
    my website is here
    instagram

Thats pretty cool! What did you make it out of?

I've never watched Mermaidia either, admittedly, but the dolls were often brought into the pool by little girls when I was lifeguarding!

I'm not sure what the song is, actually, save that it was big in the late 1980s and used as the theme for Club Med back then....

THE MER ON FIRE​!