Page 424 of 424 FirstFirst ... 324374414420421422423424
Results 8,461 to 8,480 of 8480

Thread: B!TC# IT OUT!

  1. #8461
    I have one of these fake finfolk tails, it was a gift from my husband who has no idea about brands and knockoffs. I felt the right thing to do is hang it on my wall as decor and possibly take a few photos for personal use but never use it for swimming or preforming. I am saving up to buy a real finfolk tail to be my feature tail.
    I feel that that is a horrible thing to do trying to pass the cheap Chinese fake as an authentic finfolk tail and even worse to post it on the page of the company they ripped off! That’s deplorable!��
    I dream of a day when they may rise above the billows to drag down in their reeking talons the remnants of puny, war-exhausted mankind --of a day when the land shall sink, and the dark ocean floor shall ascend amidst universal pandemonium.

  2. #8462
    Senior Member TheChimera's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    259
    Since we're in the spirit of sharing, I utterly hate it when someone is so immature and unaware of their own bad attitude that when you confront them about their rudeness they turn it around and try to blame it on you despite you giving them the benefit of the doubt, and despite you being very polite about their disgusting behavior. Had this happen to me today with a colleague who is utterly lazy and rude to everyone and with who I've tried to reconcile the situation just to maintain a healthy work environment, that is just the kind of person that grates me.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. #8463
    Thank god I found this thread. I am so sick of mers who think they are so much better than others, along with mers who come along and shit all over your post when you're actively trying to achieve something and they comment nothing but negative crap instead of being encouraging and positive!!!!

    Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app

  4. #8464
    Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Ryde, NSW Australia
    Posts
    4,290

    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by mermaidamathiea View Post
    Thank god I found this thread. I am so sick of mers who think they are so much better than others, along with mers who come along and shit all over your post when you're actively trying to achieve something and they comment nothing but negative crap instead of being encouraging and positive!!!!

    Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app
    All we did was make helpful suggestions on how to improve your business proposal, your approach to business and how to run it successfully.

    Time to grow a thick skin. Running a business is not all sunshine and rainbows.

    As they say, if you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen.
    Last edited by Mermaid Jaffa; 01-19-2019 at 08:58 PM.
    Formerly known as ireneho

  5. #8465
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Jaffa View Post
    All we did was make helpful suggestions on how to improve your business proposal, your approach to business and how to run it successfully.

    There are much worse people out there in the big wide world who WILL poop on your parade. Time to grow a thick skin. Running a business is not all sunshine and rainbows. As they say, if you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen.
    I wasn't referring to you. You were very helpful

    Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app

  6. #8466
    I'm sure I will be corrected if I'm wrong, but I believe she was referring to me.

    The business proposal as it currently stands sounds like a little kid who wants to be a mermaid when she grows up. Oh, and there will be parties with mermaid cupcakes, balloons, and hair clips!

    A lot of little kids want to be mermaids when they grow up. Some do it. Some don't. If you don't plan properly though, it definitely won't happen.

  7. #8467
    Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Ryde, NSW Australia
    Posts
    4,290

    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by tealmermaid View Post
    I'm sure I will be corrected if I'm wrong, but I believe she was referring to me.

    The business proposal as it currently stands sounds like a little kid who wants to be a mermaid when she grows up. Oh, and there will be parties with mermaid cupcakes, balloons, and hair clips!

    A lot of little kids want to be mermaids when they grow up. Some do it. Some don't. If you don't plan properly though, it definitely won't happen.
    Yes. It seems that way. A whole bunch of ideas but no real plan.

    She needs to outline every step and what/how she is going to achieve them. And saving up her own money for it.

    You don't go up to strangers and ask for money, so why would you do it online with no real rewards.
    Formerly known as ireneho

  8. #8468
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Jaffa View Post
    Yes. It seems that way. A whole bunch of ideas but no real plan.

    She needs to outline every step and what/how she is going to achieve them. And saving up her own money for it.

    You don't go up to strangers and ask for money, so why would you do it online with no real rewards.
    Thank you both for making me feel small and if this is what the community is like I want no part of it. I have not felt welcome at all since getting into the comnunity 4 years ago. I will be deactivating my acount.

    Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app

  9. #8469
    Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Ryde, NSW Australia
    Posts
    4,290

    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by mermaidamathiea View Post
    Thank you both for making me feel small and if this is what the community is like I want no part of it. I have not felt welcome at all since getting into the comnunity 4 years ago. I will be deactivating my acount.

    Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app
    See? There you go again, taking everything to heart. Talking it out, its called criticism.

    You will come across it in every field of work. Suck it up! This is real life. You won't survive in the business world, (yes, even mermaiding as a job is considered a business world because, duh, you're running a business), if you're going to throw a tantrum and cry in the corner each time things don't go your way.

    Learn to stand tall and learn from others. This is how you become a success.
    Formerly known as ireneho

  10. #8470
    Senior Member Pod of Texas Mermaid Delphinidae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Posts
    147
    Quote Originally Posted by tealmermaid View Post
    I'm sure I will be corrected if I'm wrong, but I believe she was referring to me.

    The business proposal as it currently stands sounds like a little kid who wants to be a mermaid when she grows up. Oh, and there will be parties with mermaid cupcakes, balloons, and hair clips!

    A lot of little kids want to be mermaids when they grow up. Some do it. Some don't. If you don't plan properly though, it definitely won't happen.
    I didn't want to come off as discouraging to her, but I totally agree with you. When it comes to any kind of "cool" job you see a lot of people who want to get right into the business without a plan and without knowing what they're doing. I think mermaiding is especially prone to this because it looks like one of those jobs that's based entirely on appearance, that all you need are some makeup skills and a nice silicone tail. But in reality, you need a lot of skills to be successful. And if you can't even take basic starting out advice while fundraising, are you going to be able to handle the demands and criticisms of paying customers? If you went to a job interview or applied for a business loan, it's up to YOU to explain why you can do this. Crowdfunding for a product or business is no different. Not many people are gonna give money to a stranger in exchange for nothing, especially in the mermaid community where most people wait a long time to save up to buy their own tails.

    Even if I did want to give people money for mermaid businesses (and I don't) I'd only give it to someone if I were confident that they knew what they were doing. Otherwise it's just a waste of money, and if I'm gonna waste my money I'll waste it on myself, lol.

  11. #8471
    Senior Member Euro Pod Echidna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    3,399
    Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    Happened by and read the thread.
    You guys weren't rude, you were giving realistic advice.

    I really don't understand why many people who want to get into mermaiding start with asking others for money.
    You want to be a mermaid, become one (that is on yourself) and then just do it. You will get mermaiding jobs.
    Go forward from that.
    Don't give me the "but I need to have a silicone tail first, someone give me the money please".
    No, you don't need a silicone tail.
    You don't become a mermaid because you have a fancy tail, you are a mermaid if you have all the skills to convince people you are the real deal.
    You can do that in almost any kind of tail. And some are really cheap.

    People who DO have experience know that.
    Best of luck.

  12. #8472
    I agree about seeing this a lot in the mermaid community. Becoming a mermaid is about maintaining the illusion of being a real mermaid (especially for kids), not the price tag on the tail. Work with what you have if you don't have the funds for a fancy tail. Fabric tails aren't expensive if you make them yourself.

    Furthermore, getting into the mermaid business is not just having a tail and being able to swim in it. A good business plan spells out who you are, where you come from, why you are interested in this, how long have you been doing this, what supplies you have, and what do you plan to do with any incoming money:

    Hi, I'm [Name]. I have a degree in [Subject] from [Whatever] University. My primary hobby is Mermaiding [insert explanation of mermaiding], and I have [however many] years' experience in this hobby. My skill list includes [these relevant abilities]. I also have experience in [related field such as modelling].

    I am planning to start a business as a professional mermaid. However, I need funds for these items [include estimated cost of each item]:
    * Tail, top, accessories, props (Note: Multiples would be good so they can dry out between uses).
    * Promotional materials (web site including design, advertising, business cards, flyers, etc.).
    * Travel expenses (Do you have a way to get to a gig? You have to pay for gas, insurance, & maintenance if you have a car. Do you have funds for a hotel if your gig isn't nearby?).
    * Office space, rented storage for supplies if you have a lot of stuff.
    * Any other expenses.

    These supplies will total roughly [amount of your funding beg, hopefully].

    [insert whatever rewards you are offering for donors -- with good, current photos]

    Thank you for your support.

    --------------
    That said, you should be able to fund your own basic supplies such as a tail and accessories as a hobbyist. If not, you probably aren't financially ready to run a business.

    (Apologies if this sounds preachy. I have run several small businesses of my own over the years with my own funds, so I'm trying to speak from my own experience on how this process normally works.)

  13. #8473
    Senior Member Pod of Texas Mermaid Delphinidae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Posts
    147
    Quote Originally Posted by Echidna View Post
    Happened by and read the thread.
    You guys weren't rude, you were giving realistic advice.

    I really don't understand why many people who want to get into mermaiding start with asking others for money.
    You want to be a mermaid, become one (that is on yourself) and then just do it. You will get mermaiding jobs.
    Go forward from that.
    Don't give me the "but I need to have a silicone tail first, someone give me the money please".
    No, you don't need a silicone tail.
    You don't become a mermaid because you have a fancy tail, you are a mermaid if you have all the skills to convince people you are the real deal.
    You can do that in almost any kind of tail. And some are really cheap.

    People who DO have experience know that.
    Best of luck.
    Well, it's hardly exclusive to mermaiding. A lot of people want to start businesses or create products without saving money or taking on the financial risk. (and I'm thinking, if you can't save up for or get a loan for a small amount of money, I'd question your ability to manage the finances of your business) There are also a lot of people who crowdfund businesses or products more as a way to gauge interest than anything else. But mermaid businesses aren't a new idea, plus they're localized so it really limits the base of interest. And as has been said, you need to treat your campaign like a serious business pitch.

    And I second the tail thing. Someone who is skilled and talented in a FinFun clearance tail will be more successful than someone who doesn't know what she's doing in a silicone tail.

  14. #8474
    Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Ryde, NSW Australia
    Posts
    4,290

    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Its like any job, skills are of far greater importance than image.

    Its no point perfecting your image first, cos without those skills you can't sell yourself.

    And when you can't sell yourself, the business fails. Its simple logic.
    Formerly known as ireneho

  15. #8475
    Senior Member Euro Pod Echidna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    3,399
    Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Jaffa View Post
    Its like any job, skills are of far greater importance than image.
    and here's the problem: too many aspiring mermaids do not understand they will need skills.
    It's probably not even limited to inexperienced young people.

    You can see comments like "what, THAT is a job? I'm gonna do that too, that's easy" under so many mermaid show videos.
    And I mean show, not lounging in a pool and waving.
    Stuff like Weeki Wachee, or one of the shows in Asia where a bunch of synchro swimmers performs choreographies in a depth of 5-10 metres.

    There is a surprising number of clueless folks who think anything that looks easy and effortless, must be child's play for everyone.
    Just look at how many "athletes" make fun of synchro swimming, or any kind of dancing, like ballet.
    How it isn't a sport, etc. Not even realizing they themselves wouldn't able to do a single technique without breaking their leg, or drowning.

    Hence the idea of "just gimme the outfit, and I'm good to go".

  16. #8476
    Senior Member Pod of Texas Mermaid Delphinidae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Posts
    147
    Quote Originally Posted by Echidna View Post
    and here's the problem: too many aspiring mermaids do not understand they will need skills.
    It's probably not even limited to inexperienced young people.

    You can see comments like "what, THAT is a job? I'm gonna do that too, that's easy" under so many mermaid show videos.
    And I mean show, not lounging in a pool and waving.
    Stuff like Weeki Wachee, or one of the shows in Asia where a bunch of synchro swimmers performs choreographies in a depth of 5-10 metres.

    There is a surprising number of clueless folks who think anything that looks easy and effortless, must be child's play for everyone.
    Just look at how many "athletes" make fun of synchro swimming, or any kind of dancing, like ballet.
    How it isn't a sport, etc. Not even realizing they themselves wouldn't able to do a single technique without breaking their leg, or drowning.

    Hence the idea of "just gimme the outfit, and I'm good to go".
    Since mermaiding is so niche, I wonder if a lot of people like that think that it will be really easy to get work since there isn't much competition in a lot of places.

  17. #8477
    Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Ryde, NSW Australia
    Posts
    4,290

    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Delphinidae View Post
    Since mermaiding is so niche, I wonder if a lot of people like that think that it will be really easy to get work since there isn't much competition in a lot of places.
    They do. You'd be surprised how many actually think that. There's more to it than just swimming around and playing games with kids.

    Many skills come into play. Planning, arranging the day, good communication, ability to interact with different levels of people, written communication must also be good. These are some of the skills I can think of that would be beneficial to a working mermaid.

    If one goes into the fray without much thought or planning, those kids and their parents will eat you alive! If you can't handle this, then its better just to stick to being a recreational mermaid, where mermaiding is just for your own enjoyment.
    Formerly known as ireneho

  18. #8478
    Senior Member Pod of Texas Mermaid Delphinidae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Posts
    147
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Jaffa View Post
    They do. You'd be surprised how many actually think that. There's more to it than just swimming around and playing games with kids.

    Many skills come into play. Planning, arranging the day, good communication, ability to interact with different levels of people, written communication must also be good. These are some of the skills I can think of that would be beneficial to a working mermaid.

    If one goes into the fray without much thought or planning, those kids and their parents will eat you alive! If you can't handle this, then its better just to stick to being a recreational mermaid, where mermaiding is just for your own enjoyment.
    Sometimes when people find out I do mermaiding, they suggest I do it professionally. And I think "hahahaha no". I have the looks and I have the (fabric) tail, but not much else. Just cause you can do something as a hobby doesn't mean you can make money from it, I'd be a horrible professional mermaid even if I had the most expensive silicone tail you can get. I'm guessing that a lot of the people who go into it without the knowledge get a lot of encouragement from people who also don't have the knowledge, feeds the ego a bit. I write as a hobby and I spend some time in online writing forums, I see the same thing there. (really, you see it in any creative hobby and any job that looks glamorous)

  19. #8479
    Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Ryde, NSW Australia
    Posts
    4,290

    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Delphinidae View Post
    Sometimes when people find out I do mermaiding, they suggest I do it professionally. And I think "hahahaha no". I have the looks and I have the (fabric) tail, but not much else. Just cause you can do something as a hobby doesn't mean you can make money from it, I'd be a horrible professional mermaid even if I had the most expensive silicone tail you can get. I'm guessing that a lot of the people who go into it without the knowledge get a lot of encouragement from people who also don't have the knowledge, feeds the ego a bit. I write as a hobby and I spend some time in online writing forums, I see the same thing there. (really, you see it in any creative hobby and any job that looks glamorous)
    So yea, to all those wannabe mermaid professionals...

    Think. Really think about. Do you have the skills and financial backing to do so AT YOUR OWN EXPENSE?

    Because when it comes down to it, you're a nobody. Nobody knows who you are, you're not a famous nor well known mermaid. Everything you do has to be on your own steam. Noone is going to fund a nobody, especially one with no set goals in mind. Are you prepared to put everything and everyone on hold just to get your business going and making it successful?

    Its not easy money, it is a lot of work. Don't go into it only thinking of the financial gain because it will reflect on the quality of you as a person. You need business skills as well as business sense. This way, if things fail, you can easily get back on your feet and get going again.
    Last edited by Mermaid Jaffa; Yesterday at 10:15 AM.
    Formerly known as ireneho

  20. #8480
    Senior Member Pod of Texas Mermaid Delphinidae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Posts
    147
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Jaffa View Post
    So yea, to all those wannabe mermaid professionals...

    Think. Really think about. Do you have the skills and financial backing to do so AT YOUR OWN EXPENSE?

    Because when it comes down to it, you're a nobody. Nobody knows who you are, you're not a famous nor well known mermaid. Everything you do has to be on your own steam. Noone is going to fund a nobody, especially one with no set goals in mind. Are you prepared to put everything and everyone on hold just to get your business going and making it successful?

    Its not easy money, it is a lot of work. Don't go into it only thinking of the financial gain because it will reflect on the quality of you as a person. You need business skills as well as business sense. This way, if things fail, you can easily get back on your feet and get going again.
    Yeah. And shoot, this doesn't just apply to mermaiding, it applies to any self-employment profession. Asking internet strangers for money when you're a beginner isn't likely to get you anywhere. Those successful professional mermaids you see, I guarantee you that they worked hard for YEARS to get where they are now. It's good to have a dream, but if it's something you really truly want, you should be willing to work for it, ya know?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •