Page 424 of 430 FirstFirst ... 324374414420421422423424425426427428 ... LastLast
Results 8,461 to 8,480 of 8583

Thread: B!TC# IT OUT!

Thank god I found this thread. I am so sick of mers who think they are so much better than others, along with mers who come along and shit all over your post when you're actively trying to achieve something and they comment nothing but negative crap instead of being encouraging and positive!!!!

Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by mermaidamathiea View Post
    Thank god I found this thread. I am so sick of mers who think they are so much better than others, along with mers who come along and shit all over your post when you're actively trying to achieve something and they comment nothing but negative crap instead of being encouraging and positive!!!!

All we did was make helpful suggestions on how to improve your business proposal, your approach to business and how to run it successfully.

Time to grow a thick skin. Running a business is not all sunshine and rainbows.

As they say, if you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen.
    Last edited by Mermaid Jaffa; 01-19-2019 at 07:58 PM.
    Formerly known as ireneho

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Jaffa View Post
    All we did was make helpful suggestions on how to improve your business proposal, your approach to business and how to run it successfully.

There are much worse people out there in the big wide world who WILL poop on your parade. Time to grow a thick skin. Running a business is not all sunshine and rainbows. As they say, if you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen.
    I wasn't referring to you. You were very helpful

I'm sure I will be corrected if I'm wrong, but I believe she was referring to me.

The business proposal as it currently stands sounds like a little kid who wants to be a mermaid when she grows up. Oh, and there will be parties with mermaid cupcakes, balloons, and hair clips!

A lot of little kids want to be mermaids when they grow up. Some do it. Some don't. If you don't plan properly though, it definitely won't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by tealmermaid View Post
    I'm sure I will be corrected if I'm wrong, but I believe she was referring to me.

The business proposal as it currently stands sounds like a little kid who wants to be a mermaid when she grows up. Oh, and there will be parties with mermaid cupcakes, balloons, and hair clips!

A lot of little kids want to be mermaids when they grow up. Some do it. Some don't. If you don't plan properly though, it definitely won't happen.
    Yes. It seems that way. A whole bunch of ideas but no real plan.

She needs to outline every step and what/how she is going to achieve them. And saving up her own money for it.

You don't go up to strangers and ask for money, so why would you do it online with no real rewards.

Yes. It seems that way. A whole bunch of ideas but no real plan.

She needs to outline every step and what/how she is going to achieve them. And saving up her own money for it.

You don't go up to strangers and ask for money, so why would you do it online with no real rewards.
    Thank you both for making me feel small and if this is what the community is like I want no part of it. I have not felt welcome at all since getting into the comnunity 4 years ago. I will be deactivating my acount.

Quote Originally Posted by mermaidamathiea View Post
    Thank you both for making me feel small and if this is what the community is like I want no part of it. I have not felt welcome at all since getting into the comnunity 4 years ago. I will be deactivating my acount.

See? There you go again, taking everything to heart. Talking it out, its called criticism.

You will come across it in every field of work. Suck it up! This is real life. You won't survive in the business world, (yes, even mermaiding as a job is considered a business world because, duh, you're running a business), if you're going to throw a tantrum and cry in the corner each time things don't go your way.

Learn to stand tall and learn from others. This is how you become a success.

Senior Member Pod of Texas Mermaid Delphinidae's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tealmermaid View Post

I didn't want to come off as discouraging to her, but I totally agree with you. When it comes to any kind of "cool" job you see a lot of people who want to get right into the business without a plan and without knowing what they're doing. I think mermaiding is especially prone to this because it looks like one of those jobs that's based entirely on appearance, that all you need are some makeup skills and a nice silicone tail. But in reality, you need a lot of skills to be successful. And if you can't even take basic starting out advice while fundraising, are you going to be able to handle the demands and criticisms of paying customers? If you went to a job interview or applied for a business loan, it's up to YOU to explain why you can do this. Crowdfunding for a product or business is no different. Not many people are gonna give money to a stranger in exchange for nothing, especially in the mermaid community where most people wait a long time to save up to buy their own tails.

Even if I did want to give people money for mermaid businesses (and I don't) I'd only give it to someone if I were confident that they knew what they were doing. Otherwise it's just a waste of money, and if I'm gonna waste my money I'll waste it on myself, lol.

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    Happened by and read the thread.
    You guys weren't rude, you were giving realistic advice.

I really don't understand why many people who want to get into mermaiding start with asking others for money.
    You want to be a mermaid, become one (that is on yourself) and then just do it. You will get mermaiding jobs.
    Go forward from that.
    Don't give me the "but I need to have a silicone tail first, someone give me the money please".
    No, you don't need a silicone tail.
    You don't become a mermaid because you have a fancy tail, you are a mermaid if you have all the skills to convince people you are the real deal.
    You can do that in almost any kind of tail. And some are really cheap.

People who DO have experience know that.
    Best of luck.

I agree about seeing this a lot in the mermaid community. Becoming a mermaid is about maintaining the illusion of being a real mermaid (especially for kids), not the price tag on the tail. Work with what you have if you don't have the funds for a fancy tail. Fabric tails aren't expensive if you make them yourself.

Furthermore, getting into the mermaid business is not just having a tail and being able to swim in it. A good business plan spells out who you are, where you come from, why you are interested in this, how long have you been doing this, what supplies you have, and what do you plan to do with any incoming money:

Hi, I'm [Name]. I have a degree in [Subject] from [Whatever] University. My primary hobby is Mermaiding [insert explanation of mermaiding], and I have [however many] years' experience in this hobby. My skill list includes [these relevant abilities]. I also have experience in [related field such as modelling].

I am planning to start a business as a professional mermaid. However, I need funds for these items [include estimated cost of each item]:
    * Tail, top, accessories, props (Note: Multiples would be good so they can dry out between uses).
    * Promotional materials (web site including design, advertising, business cards, flyers, etc.).
    * Travel expenses (Do you have a way to get to a gig? You have to pay for gas, insurance, & maintenance if you have a car. Do you have funds for a hotel if your gig isn't nearby?).
    * Office space, rented storage for supplies if you have a lot of stuff.
    * Any other expenses.

These supplies will total roughly [amount of your funding beg, hopefully].

[insert whatever rewards you are offering for donors -- with good, current photos]

Thank you for your support.

--------------
    That said, you should be able to fund your own basic supplies such as a tail and accessories as a hobbyist. If not, you probably aren't financially ready to run a business.

(Apologies if this sounds preachy. I have run several small businesses of my own over the years with my own funds, so I'm trying to speak from my own experience on how this process normally works.)

Quote Originally Posted by Echidna View Post
    Happened by and read the thread.
    You guys weren't rude, you were giving realistic advice.

I really don't understand why many people who want to get into mermaiding start with asking others for money.
    You want to be a mermaid, become one (that is on yourself) and then just do it. You will get mermaiding jobs.
    Go forward from that.
    Don't give me the "but I need to have a silicone tail first, someone give me the money please".
    No, you don't need a silicone tail.
    You don't become a mermaid because you have a fancy tail, you are a mermaid if you have all the skills to convince people you are the real deal.
    You can do that in almost any kind of tail. And some are really cheap.

People who DO have experience know that.
    Best of luck.
    Well, it's hardly exclusive to mermaiding. A lot of people want to start businesses or create products without saving money or taking on the financial risk. (and I'm thinking, if you can't save up for or get a loan for a small amount of money, I'd question your ability to manage the finances of your business) There are also a lot of people who crowdfund businesses or products more as a way to gauge interest than anything else. But mermaid businesses aren't a new idea, plus they're localized so it really limits the base of interest. And as has been said, you need to treat your campaign like a serious business pitch.

And I second the tail thing. Someone who is skilled and talented in a FinFun clearance tail will be more successful than someone who doesn't know what she's doing in a silicone tail.

Its like any job, skills are of far greater importance than image.

Its no point perfecting your image first, cos without those skills you can't sell yourself.

And when you can't sell yourself, the business fails. Its simple logic.

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    Its like any job, skills are of far greater importance than image.
    and here's the problem: too many aspiring mermaids do not understand they will need skills.
    It's probably not even limited to inexperienced young people.

You can see comments like "what, THAT is a job? I'm gonna do that too, that's easy" under so many mermaid show videos.
    And I mean show, not lounging in a pool and waving.
    Stuff like Weeki Wachee, or one of the shows in Asia where a bunch of synchro swimmers performs choreographies in a depth of 5-10 metres.

There is a surprising number of clueless folks who think anything that looks easy and effortless, must be child's play for everyone.
    Just look at how many "athletes" make fun of synchro swimming, or any kind of dancing, like ballet.
    How it isn't a sport, etc. Not even realizing they themselves wouldn't able to do a single technique without breaking their leg, or drowning.

Hence the idea of "just gimme the outfit, and I'm good to go".

Quote Originally Posted by Echidna View Post
    and here's the problem: too many aspiring mermaids do not understand they will need skills.
    It's probably not even limited to inexperienced young people.

You can see comments like "what, THAT is a job? I'm gonna do that too, that's easy" under so many mermaid show videos.
    And I mean show, not lounging in a pool and waving.
    Stuff like Weeki Wachee, or one of the shows in Asia where a bunch of synchro swimmers performs choreographies in a depth of 5-10 metres.

There is a surprising number of clueless folks who think anything that looks easy and effortless, must be child's play for everyone.
    Just look at how many "athletes" make fun of synchro swimming, or any kind of dancing, like ballet.
    How it isn't a sport, etc. Not even realizing they themselves wouldn't able to do a single technique without breaking their leg, or drowning.

Hence the idea of "just gimme the outfit, and I'm good to go".
    Since mermaiding is so niche, I wonder if a lot of people like that think that it will be really easy to get work since there isn't much competition in a lot of places.

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Delphinidae View Post
    Since mermaiding is so niche, I wonder if a lot of people like that think that it will be really easy to get work since there isn't much competition in a lot of places.
    They do. You'd be surprised how many actually think that. There's more to it than just swimming around and playing games with kids.

Many skills come into play. Planning, arranging the day, good communication, ability to interact with different levels of people, written communication must also be good. These are some of the skills I can think of that would be beneficial to a working mermaid.

If one goes into the fray without much thought or planning, those kids and their parents will eat you alive! If you can't handle this, then its better just to stick to being a recreational mermaid, where mermaiding is just for your own enjoyment.

They do. You'd be surprised how many actually think that. There's more to it than just swimming around and playing games with kids.

Many skills come into play. Planning, arranging the day, good communication, ability to interact with different levels of people, written communication must also be good. These are some of the skills I can think of that would be beneficial to a working mermaid.

If one goes into the fray without much thought or planning, those kids and their parents will eat you alive! If you can't handle this, then its better just to stick to being a recreational mermaid, where mermaiding is just for your own enjoyment.
    Sometimes when people find out I do mermaiding, they suggest I do it professionally. And I think "hahahaha no". I have the looks and I have the (fabric) tail, but not much else. Just cause you can do something as a hobby doesn't mean you can make money from it, I'd be a horrible professional mermaid even if I had the most expensive silicone tail you can get. I'm guessing that a lot of the people who go into it without the knowledge get a lot of encouragement from people who also don't have the knowledge, feeds the ego a bit. I write as a hobby and I spend some time in online writing forums, I see the same thing there. (really, you see it in any creative hobby and any job that looks glamorous)

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Delphinidae View Post
    Sometimes when people find out I do mermaiding, they suggest I do it professionally. And I think "hahahaha no". I have the looks and I have the (fabric) tail, but not much else. Just cause you can do something as a hobby doesn't mean you can make money from it, I'd be a horrible professional mermaid even if I had the most expensive silicone tail you can get. I'm guessing that a lot of the people who go into it without the knowledge get a lot of encouragement from people who also don't have the knowledge, feeds the ego a bit. I write as a hobby and I spend some time in online writing forums, I see the same thing there. (really, you see it in any creative hobby and any job that looks glamorous)
    So yea, to all those wannabe mermaid professionals...

Think. Really think about. Do you have the skills and financial backing to do so AT YOUR OWN EXPENSE?

Because when it comes down to it, you're a nobody. Nobody knows who you are, you're not a famous nor well known mermaid. Everything you do has to be on your own steam. Noone is going to fund a nobody, especially one with no set goals in mind. Are you prepared to put everything and everyone on hold just to get your business going and making it successful?

Its not easy money, it is a lot of work. Don't go into it only thinking of the financial gain because it will reflect on the quality of you as a person. You need business skills as well as business sense. This way, if things fail, you can easily get back on your feet and get going again.
    Last edited by Mermaid Jaffa; 01-21-2019 at 09:15 AM.

So yea, to all those wannabe mermaid professionals...

Think. Really think about. Do you have the skills and financial backing to do so AT YOUR OWN EXPENSE?

Because when it comes down to it, you're a nobody. Nobody knows who you are, you're not a famous nor well known mermaid. Everything you do has to be on your own steam. Noone is going to fund a nobody, especially one with no set goals in mind. Are you prepared to put everything and everyone on hold just to get your business going and making it successful?

Its not easy money, it is a lot of work. Don't go into it only thinking of the financial gain because it will reflect on the quality of you as a person. You need business skills as well as business sense. This way, if things fail, you can easily get back on your feet and get going again.
    Yeah. And shoot, this doesn't just apply to mermaiding, it applies to any self-employment profession. Asking internet strangers for money when you're a beginner isn't likely to get you anywhere. Those successful professional mermaids you see, I guarantee you that they worked hard for YEARS to get where they are now. It's good to have a dream, but if it's something you really truly want, you should be willing to work for it, ya know?

Senior Member Pod of Oceania The Water Phoenix's Avatar
    It's with great sadness that I learnt that my beloved grandad passed away in the early hours of this morning He left this world happy and calm and most of all, no longer in pain because he battled with bad circulation in his legs for ever. He was scheduled to be released from hospital tomorrow, after undergoing a leg amputation and subsequently recovering well. I just don't know what happened, because the operation went smoothly The nice thing is that my grandad was able to see me get my pilot's licence, and before he left this world he found his father's Air Force wings badge, and he wanted me to have it. He was so happy and supportive of my strive to become an pilot and he was so supportive, despite living on the other side of the world. I've known my grandad my whole life and I'm 18, but it feels like I haven't known him for long enough

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    I am so sorry for your loss. I'm happy that he got to see you achieve your license and it was a lovely gift for him to gift you with a family heirloom. He will live on in your heart always. I hope he rests in peace.

Page 424 of 430 FirstFirst ... 324374414420421422423424425426427428 ... LastLast