Page 419 of 419 FirstFirst ... 319369409415416417418419
Results 8,361 to 8,363 of 8363

Thread: B!TC# IT OUT!

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Mermaid Kane's Avatar
    I wouldn't normally post on here about things that are going on in my life, but something that happened recently has upset me quite a bit.
    As some of you may know, I'm a closeted nonbinary/"lesbian" (I like girls and other NBs) living in a rather strict Christian home.

A few days ago, my parents and I were going shopping. We were standing in line at the cashier, when my dad must have noticed the lesbian couple in front of us holding hands (one of the ladies was also wearing a backpack with several pride pins on it). As they were finishing up at the cashier, my dad suddenly said "Hope you enjoy Hell". The couple was immediately shocked and started to argue with him. It blew up a bit, and I just stood there helplessly wishing I could stand up for them.
    It really upset me on a personal level knowing my dad would hate me if he knew I was gay. We'd already recently established that I wasn't a Christian, and it turned out horribly. My parents are still pressuring me to "prioritize my life for God" and banning me from any non-Christian extra astronomy and science classes I was taking online ("bad influence"). I have no idea how they'd react if they found out. My best friend and partner was the one who brought me out of my own closet to accept myself, and my parents know they are LGBT. I'm scared that they'd ban me from talking to them.

I know there are a lot of Christians on here, and that's okay. I don't hate Christians, but I'm guessing they will probably not fully understand my concern. Please don't try and use the God card in response to this, that's all I ask.

Alrighty, that's all I have to say...

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Kane View Post
    I wouldn't normally post on here about things that are going on in my life, but something that happened recently has upset me quite a bit.
    As some of you may know, I'm a closeted nonbinary/"lesbian" (I like girls and other NBs) living in a rather strict Christian home.

A few days ago, my parents and I were going shopping. We were standing in line at the cashier, when my dad must have noticed the lesbian couple in front of us holding hands (one of the ladies was also wearing a backpack with several pride pins on it). As they were finishing up at the cashier, my dad suddenly said "Hope you enjoy Hell". The couple was immediately shocked and started to argue with him. It blew up a bit, and I just stood there helplessly wishing I could stand up for them.
    It really upset me on a personal level knowing my dad would hate me if he knew I was gay. We'd already recently established that I wasn't a Christian, and it turned out horribly. My parents are still pressuring me to "prioritize my life for God" and banning me from any non-Christian extra astronomy and science classes I was taking online ("bad influence"). I have no idea how they'd react if they found out. My best friend and partner was the one who brought me out of my own closet to accept myself, and my parents know they are LGBT. I'm scared that they'd ban me from talking to them.

I know there are a lot of Christians on here, and that's okay. I don't hate Christians, but I'm guessing they will probably not fully understand my concern. Please don't try and use the God card in response to this, that's all I ask.

Alrighty, that's all I have to say...
    That actually happened??? My own views on sexuality aside, there's no defending that kind of behaviour to people just minding their own business, or that insistence you live in a bubble.

Some encouragement from Robert A Heinlein:

When any government or church for that matter, undertakes to say to its subjects, "This you may not read, this you must not know," the end result is tyranny and oppression, no matter how holy the motives. Mighty little force is needed to control a man who has been hoodwinked in this fashion; contrariwise, no amount of force can control a free man, whose mind is free. No, not the rack nor the atomic bomb, not anything. You can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him.

Let me know by PM if you want to talk
    Last edited by Ransom; Today at 06:13 AM.
    "Only in death does duty end." -- Warhammer 40,000

Hey mermaid Kane, maybe we could talk more in discord. I'm so sorry that happened to you. I was raised in a Christian home, too, although my parents were not super strict. I ended up going to a Catholic college, ended up majoring in religious studies. Ironically, this college was extremely accepting of LGBT people (shock, we even had an LGBT club!), And I learned a lot about how it is way more important to love each other than try and condemn others.

I'm so sorry that you are feeling like you can't be yourself in your own home. I would be happy to talk with you anytime if you need a place to vent.

Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app