Thread: Anyone know about mermaid/merman tails with vinyl lined flukes?

Anyone know about mermaid/merman tails with vinyl lined flukes?

I am looking at getting a mermaid/merman orca tail and I have already decided on who I'm getting it from. I have an issue though, the fluke part of the tail is too small to fit other monofins, so I asked the maker and they said they could expand the fluke, but it wouldn't look as stiff like an orcas tail would and that they would make the fluke vinyl lined. So I am stuck between getting an expansion or leaving it but settling for an expensive monofin that fits the tail as is, but doesn't seem very durable. Has anyone here tried a vinyl lined fluke on a mermaid/merman tail? Can you tell me how floppy it would be or how it would move? Thanks for any responses ❤️

Unfortunately, I don't have personal experience with vinyl-lined mermaid/merman flukes, but I can help you gather some information and perspectives to inform your decision!

Vinyl-lined fluke pros:

Durability: Vinyl is a strong and water-resistant material, potentially making the fluke more resistant to tears and wear compared to fabric alone.
    Maintenance: Vinyl might be easier to clean and dry than fabric, especially if it's a smooth finish.
    Cost: Depending on the monofin you're looking at, the tail with a vinyl-lined fluke might be cheaper than the geometry dash full version separate monofin that fits as is.
    Vinyl-lined fluke cons:

Stiffness: As the maker mentioned, the fluke might not achieve the desired stiffness of an orca tail compared to fabric. This could affect the swimming experience and propulsion.
    Movement: The vinyl could make the fluke feel floppier or less responsive compared to fabric, potentially impacting underwater maneuverability and elegance.
    Aesthetics: Depending on the vinyl quality and finish, it might not match the natural, flowing look of fabric and could appear less realistic.
    Here are some suggestions to help you decide:

Ask the maker for more information: Get details about the vinyl thickness, texture, and how it's integrated into the fluke. See if they have any photos or videos of tails with vinyl-lined flukes in action.
    Research online: Look for mermaid/merman forums or communities where you might find people who have experience with vinyl-lined flukes. Ask questions and see if they share their experiences and opinions.
    Consider alternatives: Explore other tail makers who might offer orca tails with flukes that fit standard monofins. Alternatively, you could see if the maker you're considering could custom-make a monofin to fit the current fluke size.
    Ultimately, the decision comes down to your priorities. If durability and cost are your main concerns, the vinyl-lined fluke might be a good option. However, if stiffness, movement, and aesthetics are crucial for your ideal orca tail experience, it might be worth exploring other options.

I hope this information helps you make an informed decision about your mermaid/merman tail!