Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Weeki Wachi Mermaids

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod

Weeki Wachi Mermaids

I thought it would be cool to have a thread dedicated to these ladies. I got to see them for the first time this past March. I wont say too much about the visit since I wrote an article on it for Tail Flip. But I can post some photos I've taken! What about all of you? How many have had an experience at Weeki?

Okay, i'm gonna say it: I'm amazed that for a full blown tourist attraction that they swim with fabric tails rather than professional silicone ones. I thought that would be the kind of situation where high quality/expensive tails would be a given however, i've never been so I might be ignorant to some kind of restriction or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Aradia View Post
    Okay, i'm gonna say it: I'm amazed that for a full blown tourist attraction that they swim with fabric tails rather than professional silicone ones. I thought that would be the kind of situation where high quality/expensive tails would be a given however, i've never been so I might be ignorant to some kind of restriction or something.
    I was going to say the same thing.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    My heart is pierced by Cupid, I disdain all glittering gold,
    There is nothing that can console me but my jolly sailor bold.
    ~ETSY: Trove by the Sea~Google +~FACEBOOK~
    mermaidmarissa.studios@gmail.com

"Imagine a life of wonder"

The pictures look great. I wish I could go see them someday.
    I don't want to step on any...fins here...but regarding their tails - as far as I know (and I may very welll be wrong) Weeki Wachee isn't very well off financially and they haven't upgraded - or maybe they just don't know about the option of silicone tails. The fabric ones are easier to fit on multiple people anyway. You can't just bring your tail there to work in, they provide it for you. I think they look fine, except the legs can show more than they might want. Anyway, I don't think that silicone tails are necessarily better or even more professional than fabric tails. They are just more 'realistic'. But maybe for them it's not practical.

I went when i was 5, imagine how awed and amazed i was! Ever since my visit there I always wanted to be a mermaid, my dad even talked to the designer to make me a tail! (back then i dont know if its the same lady)
    At the time it was $150.00 for the custom mini version of their tails, i still have it too! I need to take some pics and post them

When i move back to FL i might apply there, all you need is a diving licence and some acting clases
    Im gonna see if i can get my licence here in PR, its cheaper.

I have heard some things about bad experiences with realistic tails from the mermaids themselves that I wont post here since it'll start drama, But you can imagine and yes, they've had financial troubles from time to time, so after investing a lot in expensive tails that didnt last I dont think they're too keen on doing it again. Many mermaids wear the same tail as well.

I have to tell you, when I was watching them, I dont think they'd be able to do as amazing stuff in big heavy silicone tails. The fabric really lends to the fluid motions, and you forget after 5 seconds that you're watching women in fabric tails because they just embody mermaids that much. I cant wait for you all to read my article on it in tail flip I think it really captures them!

I wish I could have seen them perform! So jealous. And it makes sense that the fabric is easier to move in. They have to do a lot of different routines so it's a lot of work to do!

Gorgeous photos Raina! Thank-you for sharing! I would love to see them perform one day! It's definintely on my list!

I love Weeki Wachee! It's what got me into mermaids in the first place! They actually do have silicone tails but they use those for more sitting or going someplace else type of things. Their silicone tails are amazing if you get to see them. But yes, the fabric ones are cheaper, easier to repair, and faster to get on and off. One of the three original mermaid sisters normally p,as the sea witch and has to change in the underwater air lock really quick, so yeah.
    Hugs, fishes, and mermaid kisses!

I've seen them once, and as a silicone tail owner, no way could they do what they do in one. Maybe latex, but not silicone. Although I do wish they wore something a bit more realistic, and maybe if they had some way to secretly breath from the air hoses, it would be great! But really they are amazing for doing what they do. As much as I love being a mermaid, I couldn't work there, because I could never do what they do.

Senior Member Pod of The South Blondie's Avatar
    Weeki Wachi Mermaids were on Yahoo news today! Check it out!!

http://travel.yahoo.com/ideas/cooles...tractions.html

You know I've been thinking about it and I have to retract my comment that they couldn't do what they do in silicone tails....cause Melissa & Shannon did some amazing stuff in theirs.....so just I'm the one that couldn't do it...lol

I've always wondered this; why do the weeki wachi (however you spell it) mermaids breathe out of air hoses? It seems...I dunno. Unnecessary? I've seen other mers perform at different aquariums, and when they need to breathe, they just surface for air. It keeps the performance looking realistic and there's no worry of getting tangled up in your air hose or accidentally dropping it while swimming. To me, it's hard to get into the performance because the hoses are really distracting. Anyone know why they use them instead of just going up for air?

My guess would be time? Or maybe a more flow-like transition between movements/dance? I've never seen the show.
    "SeaSparkles" "Spindrift" "Enakai" "Cuddlefish" "Confused"
    Professionally performing as Enakai Fairyfish

Enakai Fairyfish: FB | IG

Yea the air hose is a bit distracting, but I think they also do pretty long shows and performances so
    perhaps if they had to come up for air every time, it would be difficult or make the show twice as long.
    I'm sure they could edit or rewrite the show up a bit if they really wanted to, maybe the way they have
    it is alright as it is?

As for the silicone tails, I dunno seems you can maneuver pretty good in them. Seems like they provide a
    lot less drag than fabric tails since the fabric always bunches and sways. Silicone tails (at least ones that
    are fitted properly) would seal shut around your legs and provide little to no places for water to pocket up
    and weight you down. Fabric, on the other hand absorbs water and allows water to flow into the tail and
    "bunch" up. I've seen videos of mermaid Melissa performing pretty well in her MVD tail and I think it's
    a silicone tail.
    Check out my Blog
    Shop on my Etsy
    Like my Facebook

I really think it's something you gotta see first hand to really get. The air hoses are incorporated into the acts in really neat ways, and there's a lot of historical stuff about the park they show you and demonstrate for one of the acts. Honestly, before I saw it I would have agreed with you all on the aesthetic of the fabric tails but not after seeing it

and yes they also do multiple very quick tail changes that would just NOT work with silicone

The tails that Weeki Wachee uses today are Mertailor. Fabric and realistic.

I personally do not have a problem with the air hoses. I rather see the hoses than have the mermaids surface for air every 30 seconds.

Here is the website's page on the History of the park. http://weekiwachee.com/about-us/hist...e-springs.html The second photo down is Newton Perry, the man who designed the air hoses that the mermaids still use to this day.

The tails that Weeki Wachee uses today are Mertailor. Fabric and realistic.
    they have mermaids R us for realistic ones now except for the one you and I saw of Eric's, and 1 other we didn't see. Kylee was telling me about the mermaids r us, and then mermaids r us emailed me too when I was in Florida.

I've seen a number of videos on their performances. Doesn't really look all that complex. I think
    you just have to be a really strong swimmer in order to be very agile in a silicone tail.

I'm sure whatever they do there has been discussed several times over and they've probably
    chosen the best option towards what they feel is what they want to accomplish.
    Check out my Blog
    Shop on my Etsy
    Like my Facebook