Thread: Ways to Prevent Finis Blisters?

Ways to Prevent Finis Blisters?

I have swam in my finis infrequently this summer, for no more than two hours at a time, but the rubbing on the back of my heels has given me painful blisters. While I can swim in the monofin with the strap removed, it is much more difficult. I am considering making my own strap somehow, but before I put in the time, are there any ways you mers out there know to keep my blisters from happening at the start? I want to start swimming more regularly for the remaining part of the summer, but I hate to think of the shape my little feet will be in by the end. Help!

You can look into getting neoprene socks. What kind of Finis is it?
    "SeaSparkles" "Spindrift" "Enakai" "Cuddlefish" "Confused"
    Professionally performing as Enakai Fairyfish

Enakai Fairyfish: FB | IG

It's a finis wave.

Would socks affect my foot fitting into the foot pocket?

I would think that since the Finis Wave is supposed to fit a range of foot sizes (with the adjustable strap) it shouldn't really affect your foot fitting. Usually people get blisters at the top of their feet though, and not the back of their heels, which is why I recommended neoprene socks. If you want to try it out first to see if it fixes the problem, you can wrap the ankle straps with something softer (like old cloth scraps) and see if it helps.

I agree. Neoprene socks and water shoes are meant for protection for that kind of thing (as well as warmpth for socks and protection for shoes) and are highly recomended for anyone who has long swimming times or blistering issues. I'm ordering a pair for myself for a more snug (and grippy) fit on my monofins as well.

I'll have to look into socks. Thank you.

The problem with the back it that the strap slides around on my heels, no matter what size I make it. I'll try fitting it properly on land to see if that helps. I tend to adjust the thing underwater as needed.

Buy a Competitor..... i love mine.

Quote Originally Posted by MermanJesse View Post
    Buy a Competitor..... i love mine.
    I really wish I could, but I just don't have the moo-lah.

Also, my strap broke while I tried to get it to fit my foot better.

I don't want to order an new one (akin to purchasing myself a new round of blisters xD), so I'll see what I can do about making a strap. I am thinking lycra (at least for lining the part that touches my foot. I can use a non-stretch fabric for the outside I have some really smooth kind) and possibly velcro to put it on/take it off.

I actually hacked it up into a million pieces.... no not really. It is now in a new molded silicone tail that I just made.

Senior Member Pod of Texas Taylor is a Mermaid's Avatar
    I have this problem majorly. The foot straps just do NOT stay on my feet; they slip off and I have to keep pulling them back up. I don't know if I want to go for neoprene socks or velcro straps that go around my ankles.

I was thinking of some sort of ankle cuff type thing instead of the "m" shaped strap that (used) to be on my monofin. I'd need to line the inside with something smooth if I go with velcro because the backing of that stuff is really rough.

Capt Nemo on the old forum came up with a solution for this. I guess I should archive that post, it was pretty helpful. In any case, he suggested using these to hold the ankle straps in place:

You can buy them here: http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/18143.htm

I
    personally just used Velcro straps when I had a Tempo.

You can get fin socks in either lycra or neoprene for around $20. When I use my Rapid, I use 1.5mm neoprene socks, and have had no problems other than the fin crushing my feet. The above strap keepers are big with the UW hocky players.

Quite honestly, I never really liked using the footbooties. I just got a pair of big fluffy socks, and they work wonders. If you're cheap like me, you should try it. I got mine from the dollar store. I swim in my finis rapid monofin for hours without any chaffing or blistering.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Miel's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Miel's Youtube Channel
    My Mermaid Monofin's strap would slip on the second kick. I use Velcro straps and modified cotton socks to keep it together. So far it works... but the Velcro will slip if it gets too wet. :/ I have looked into Dive booties and neoprene socks.
    Does having the Mermaid Tail Skin make the strap less likely to slip?