Thread: a hello from NE Kansas

a hello from NE Kansas

Just joined the pod and wanted to say "hi." I'm in the process of plotting my tail. Felt kinda weird about taking the "midwesternmermaid" username, but I have used that for years.

Administrator Pod of Cali malinghi's Avatar
    There's no reason to feel weird about that name. Its nice.

So what do you have in mind for your tail?

A basic, sparkly spandex found here: http://spandexworld.com/c3/catalog/product/7424. They seem to have a nice selection and somewhat reasonable prices unless you might point me somewhere else. I'll have to check out the link on the materials page too. Just haven't gotten that far, yet. I want to use some solid, sheer, matte fabric on the sides for some frills and maybe afix some rhinestones or sequins. For the flukes (get this), cardboard and duct tape! I can reinforce the cardboard with itself (I've heard coat hangers work well too), making sure the corrugation flows with the movement of the fin, and seal it in duct tape. I can create the ridges with rolls of duct tape and seal it again. I want some of the same sheer fabric flowing from the end of my tail. Add sparkles (can never have enough).
    I have some other ideas too. Probably would be more expensive and time-consuming. I just want to make a quick, nice tail so I can get in the water. Summer will not pass without one. I'll practice breath holds, diving and dolphin kicks in the meantime.

Good luck on your tail! I'm also a Mer from Kansas! Probably around the same area as you. 30 mins from KCMO! V.V I don't have the skills to make a tail, so I'm thinking of buying one. Lots of money to save XD Once again good luck to you!
    Never tell someone that they can't be something or someone because of who they are, where they're from, or what they look like. It only makes it that much more important to prove you wrong.

"Nothing is an absolute reality, all is permitted." (Alamut )