Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: materiels

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Bella's Avatar

materiels

so we all know that we from oceania miss out on many of the things that our brothers and sisters from the states and the uk have available to them, including supplies and materiels for our tails. i went into spotlight yesterday to get some lycra for my first tail, the cheapest i found was $35 per metre, so i never got any.

i wanted to make a list of where everyone got they fave supplies,physical shops only as its quite easy to find stuff online

I've been to the Spotlight in Singapore and their selection is quite fantastic. I can't really offer much help for physical shops in Australia, but perhaps there was a way to order in supplies from Spotlight (SG) and have it shipped to your local branch?
    "SeaSparkles" "Spindrift" "Enakai" "Cuddlefish" "Confused"
    Professionally performing as Enakai Fairyfish

Enakai Fairyfish: FB | IG

in my local spotlight, the only thing you can order in is stock that they have run out of, if they have 3 types of tulle then thats all they will order for you, dont ask me why, they just roll that way.

anyhoo i found a shop that seems to have a nice range.

the fabric store:

Sydney
    21 Cooper Street
    Surry Hills, NSW, 2010
    Ph: +612 92112217
    sydney@thefabricstore.com.au

Opening Hours

Monday - Friday: 9.30am - 5pm
    Saturday: 10am - 4pm
    Sunday: Closed

Brisbane
    38 Wandoo Street
    Fortitude Valley, QLD 4006
    Ph: +617 3852 55 80
    brisbane@thefabricstore.com.au

Opening Hours

Monday - Friday: 9.30am - 5.30pm
    Saturday - Sunday: 10.00am - 4.00pm

Melbourne
    184 Brunswick Street
    Fitzroy, Melbourne 3065
    Ph: +613 9416 4455
    melbourne@thefabricstore.com.au

Opening Hours

Monday - Friday: 9.30am - 5.30pm
    Saturday - Sunday: 10am - 4pm

Auckland
    139 Newton Road
    Newton, Auckland 1010
    Ph: (09) 366 1991
    auckland@globalfabrics.co.nz

Opening Hours

Monday - Friday: 9.30am - 4.30pm
    Saturday - Sunday: 10am - 4pm

and they do have a website, i know i said no websites but they have physical stores too so count it XD http://www.thefabricstore.com.au/

I'm only good for NZ shops sorry, so here in Wellington that's mainly Spotlight or Arthur Toye since the fabric warehouse closed.

Junior Member Pod of Oceania
    Yeah, me too, though i found an easy way to get neoprene is to buy an old full body wetsuit off trademe or ebay, then just sew the legs together and paint it good for the environment too, you know, the whole recycling thing and lasts longer than spandex/lycra.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Narina's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Narina's Youtube Channel
    SPOTLIGHT IS SO EXPENSIVE! I bought my lycra there for my purple tail and it was $30 a metre...
    Good places online: www.spandexhouse.com
    If you search under the 'hologram' section, and go to page 4, they have some amazing tyedied fabrics!
    For me, there are several fabric shops (My Hung and New Century Fabrics in Penrith NSW), and the fabric is alot cheaper. Look for local places nearby is my best tip!
    User previously known as "Natasha".

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Artisankatie's Avatar
    Unfortunately all my favourite shops are local to me, here in bayside Melbourne :/

Besides Spotlight here in Adelaide, DK Fabrics is a great place. So many dance/swimwear fabrics!

Senior Member Pod of Oceania AnnaAbyss's Avatar
    Have you tried Lincraft? And yes, Spotlight is so damn expensive! I hate their prices!!! I'm sure there's places where you can buy cheaper spandex or lycra.

'My Hung' also has a HUGE range spandex in some awesome colours, some as cheap as $18 a metre

yeah i checked lincraft, more expencive lol. i ended up buying a much thicker poly-elastine blend, ive only swum in it once, it was more of an awkward wave cuddle but it got wet at least and seemed to be ok

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Elle's Avatar
    Follow Elle On Twitter
    Visit Elle's Youtube Channel
    was in Spotlight recently and found some metallic mesh. not quite as fine as tulle, but not enough space to be looked at as sparkly fishing netting. I bought some anyway cos i thought it was pretty.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania OceanRose's Avatar
    Fabric is indeed expensive here ... and, I can't figure out how to get a tail out of the 150cm width without having to attatch a bigger piece to the monofin end, seeing as I want a big fishy tail. Might have to get more material, which means more $$$$.

I found some italian shiny nylon lycra swimwear fabric in plain pretty colours, ready to paint, from dancefabrics direct in NZ, $30 per metre. I like it, because it's SPF50+, and high chlorine resistant, and is about the same price as what I found in Spotlight.

Elle, that metallic mesh sounds nice!

Follow Elle On Twitter
    Yes the mesh is lovely, I just don't know what to do with it
    with the 150 width, I guess your options are either buy extra for the mono fin or buy it so there is enough in length for coverage. If there is extra, you can always attach extra fins or maybe a dorsal.

Quote Originally Posted by OceanRose View Post
    Fabric is indeed expensive here ... and, I can't figure out how to get a tail out of the 150cm width without having to attatch a bigger piece to the monofin end, seeing as I want a big fishy tail. Might have to get more material, which means more $$$
    For my first tail (in the GIF below) i only had enough money with me to buy $30 worth of spandex from spotlight, which turned out to be 1.5 x 1m
    Too small right? What i did, is cut out the "sleeve" (waist to ankles) and sewed it up, then pieces together leftover strips in the shape of my (enormous) monofin! Its funny, it actually worked out because the strip look kind of like ridges on the monofin :P
    But it was too close a shave for me to do again!

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Miel's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Miel's Youtube Channel
    I get my Fabric from Spotlight. The closest Lincraft to me has very little/none in the way of patterned Spandex (which I prefer.)
    I am soo looking forward to visiting DK Fabrics, I have to get one of my friends to take me though (its soo far away!)

spandexhouse.com is cheap... but charges a Whopping $60 for shipping to Australia.

I prefer Ebay... but only for personal tails. I've often had fabric arrive, too fragile/thin or 2-way stretch when I thought I was buying 4-way. Costs me a bit more, for a bit less fabric than buying in person.

I was looking for a thread like this! I was wondering if anyone in our pod has made a silicone tail, as I am absolutely in love with them and really want to try making one myself, even though I can't really afford it and have never done anything like this before, LOL. If so, where did you source your materials from and how much did it end up costing? If anyone could help me on this I would love you forever. I know I could probably import most of the stuff from overseas but I would rather avoid ridiculous shipping costs if possible

Follow Elle On Twitter
    does anyone know where to get netting? like for tops?
    the only stuff I've found has very large holes. I looked online, but the cost of it is about $25-$30 plus the same for shipping
    I really want to make my shell top, just don't know where to get the netting from
    "Will you walk a little faster?" said a Whiting to a Snail
    "There's a Porpoise right behind us and he's treading on my tail!"

Tail making progress http://mernetwork.com/index/showthre...-making-a-tail

I have yet to see an ausmer who made her own silicone tail sorry, but I would be looking in Clark rubber, bunnings and maybe art riot for stuff.

for netting, I bought a yabbie net from Kmart, it was about 10 bucks and had a lot to work with, the opera house style was the best, also keep the netting off bags of oranges

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Ilyena's Avatar
    Add Ilyena on Facebook
    Visit Ilyena's Youtube Channel
    Mizuko has made/is making her own silicone tail (there's a whole thread about it). The netting I got from bunnings but in my neoprene tail thread I've just made a top with a netting which has the same big holes but there are smaller lines in between (borrowed that from the scrap netting pile from next door which they use to keep the birds out of the vines). If you pm me the amount you need, I could get some of the stuff I used and post it to you??. I'll post a picture in my album of the netting close up, its stretchy and doesn't fare well if pulled tightly but ill also put pictures up of how I got around it and only having to tie it loosely.
    When Fantasy is Reality

Links: ^_^
    >
    Mermaid Ilyena >Adelaide Mermaids
    >
    Hippocampus Creations >Etsy