Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: materiels

Quote Originally Posted by PearlieMae View Post
    I found that if you run the fabric so it stretches width-wise around your body, then add a 4 to 6" panel down the center back with a piece of the same fabric turned 90˚, so it stretches lengthwise, you can use any 2-way stretch fabric. The bonus to that is that there are no side seams! (Basically, the seams are 3/4 the way around.) I did this with some pretty 2-way Lurex I had.

There might be some inconsistencies with the nap of the fabric, but some creative embellishing can hide those issues.
    Good idea Pearlie! I may do that along with some well placed darts, plus a hidden zipper in a dorsal fin

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    But with the stretch being accommodated by the rotated piece, you don't need a zipper!

Quote Originally Posted by PearlieMae View Post
    But with the stretch being accommodated by the rotated piece, you don't need a zipper!
    I may need a short one up closer to the waist if I go with neoprene, since I curve in a lot there. But yeah, I'll experiment with all the above options

Add Celaeno on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Freyja View Post
    I'm actually making a tail out of this same fabric, but in a different colorway. I've made a few things from this kind of sequin fabric, and it takes patience, the right needle/thread/stitch length because of the stretchy mesh base. I'm going to tackle this one after I get back from Dragon Con in September. Fear not, it can be done, and I'll share my progress.

Even though it will only stretch length-wise as a tail, I have a few tricks up my seamstress sleeves that will make it work. I'll be mounting it onto a metallic spandex or even a neoprene base with some hand stitching. When I do use the machine, I will need to remove the sequins from the seam allowances to sew them together. Then I'll reinforce and reapply sequins in any areas along the seams that are missing them.
    It may seem like a ton of work, but it's still less than applying all the sequins one-by-one, and I consider it a sewing challenge
    I may even want to try my hand at making a silicone fluke, dorsal and other fins for this one, but we'll see how the tail body comes together first.
    Here's a photo of my fabric just wrapped around my legs for the photo (and it shows slightly darker here than it actually is):

Wow, that's lovely! How well does sequin fabric like that hold up in the water?

Quote Originally Posted by Celaeno View Post
    Wow, that's lovely! How well does sequin fabric like that hold up in the water?
    Not bad, but if your swimming in a pool with super high chlorine levels, it can dull the finish on coated sequins similar to the above.
    Luckily the pool I frequent has a lower chlorine level, and I haven't had any of my metallic fabrics dull after many swims.
    Ocean swimming may dull sequins over time. A sequin bathing suit I had once, ended up dulled due to the sun and sand more than the salt water alone.

Add Celaeno on Facebook
    Good to know. I'm considering using sequin fabric for my tail, but playing with the idea of coating it in dragonskin to protect it.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania OceanRose's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Celaeno View Post
    Good to know. I'm considering using sequin fabric for my tail, but playing with the idea of coating it in dragonskin to protect it.
    To me it's a really good idea to coat the sequins. Would the dragonskin stick though? I know other types of silicone (i.e. caulk) won't stick to sequins.

Add Celaeno on Facebook
    No idea, it'll take some experimentation, I think.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid_Sarina's Avatar

Follow Mermaid_Sarina on Tumblr

Red face

So I haven't been through here completely because there is a lot of comments so I don't know if anyone has already suggested this company but I'm planning on soon trying their fabric soon: http://www.digitalfabrics.com.au.
    They have chlorine resistant and UV rating of 50+ lycra swimming fabric. They also have the option to print your own design onto the fabric which is perfect for us Mer's because they don't have a Mermaid scale pre pattern. I'm excited because with it being chlorine resistant it should last a lot longer. Once Mermaid Leina and I have tried it I'll let you all know how its works and wether i recommend it <3

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid_Sarina View Post
    So I haven't been through here completely because there is a lot of comments so I don't know if anyone has already suggested this company but I'm planning on soon trying their fabric soon: http://www.digitalfabrics.com.au.
    They have chlorine resistant and UV rating of 50+ lycra swimming fabric. They also have the option to print your own design onto the fabric which is perfect for us Mer's because they don't have a Mermaid scale pre pattern. I'm excited because with it being chlorine resistant it should last a lot longer. Once Mermaid Leina and I have tried it I'll let you all know how its works and wether i recommend it <3
    Oh thanks!! Sydney is 15mins by bus, so fins crossed the postage isn't too much! All I can think of right now, are custom fabric tails!
    Formerly known as ireneho

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid_Sarina's Avatar

Follow Mermaid_Sarina on Tumblr
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Jaffa View Post
    Oh thanks!! Sydney is 15mins by bus, so fins crossed the postage isn't too much! All I can think of right now, are custom fabric tails!
    Thats okay Jaffa You're so lucky living around Sydney! I can't wait for a new fabric tail!!! Its all so exciting!

I'll start a thread when we have the fabric with my process and a review on the fabric. Still designing the print for our scale pattern at this point.
    Mermaids - not so graceful on land...
    Luna Dreamtide
    (Formerly Leina)

If anyone has some leftover sequin fabric there are a bunch of stuff you can make! I recently wrote a post on it and there were more options than I thought. Enjoy!

MERMAID SEQUIN FABRIC

Name:  Screen Shot 2017-11-29 at 9.30.25 AM.png
Views: 110
Size:  498.5 KB
    EverythingMermaid.com

[IMG]file:///Users/mollyknye/Downloads/ezgif.com-video-to-gif.gif[/IMG]