Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Planning Events to be Inclusive (warning, may cause drama)

Senior Member Pod of The South WavyMermaidy's Avatar
    ^^ Yeah that's kinda what I was thinking...doing more arm movements, breathing, etc. But of course we can also lift our tails and bend them, extend and flex ankles, move hips, etc. I've been to chair yoga classes that don't do a lot of leg spreading at all. But the point is really any of those moving-meditation type things would be a good addition to an event I think.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    I think a guided meditation in or out of water would be lovely

Kae-Leah, I admire your passion and courage ! and you already know I don't eat sea animals (or any animals

Whoever told you something nasty must be a very miserable person, just remember that, you rock Kae-Leah ! <3

Member Undisclosed Pod
    Pod of The South
    Regarding the WMA's and Sita last year, Thank goodness she and others involved had the sense to jear me out regarding the pageant/costume contest thing during the day. That evolved into the central happening of the day, since the trade show, for whatever reason, was not very large. The media loved the "pageant" and the mermaids lounging and being shown off. The nighttime party afterward was wonderful, too and it SEEMS like I saw several dressed Mer's around the pool who were not getting wet at all. These are all excellent points and ideas. With blessings from the Mer community, I would like to try to implement some of these in MerPalooza.

For any of you coming, I would appreciate all help I can get re: volunteers - We definitely want everyone to feel included and share the fantasy feeling.

Member Undisclosed Pod
    Pod of The South
    Quote Originally Posted by AniaR View Post
    I think a guided meditation in or out of water would be lovely
    Raina, Do you have ant thoughts on who could lead this or how to achieve it? Thank you in advance!

Senior Member Chesapeake Pod Merman Dan's Avatar
    How about a merfolk flash mob? Everyone gathers at Starbucks (for the logo. naturally) and slips into their tails?
    (Formerly known as Æolius)

So KL and I are both in the North Pacific Pod and we're actually planning on two different meetups. One is going to be a swim meetup and the second is going to be two months later and we're going to go to the Aquarium and take tail pictures on the pier afterwards.

What about:

*Making mermaid bath salts (these could be scent-free if needed, or essential oils could be added)...you know, baking soda, sea salt, seaweed?

*Sing along (remember those old Disney sing-along tapes? XP) or karaoke

*Water balloon hot-potato (fill the balloon to almost bursting, whoever it breaks on is out or just gets wet. Alternatively you could poke holes in the balloon and whoever it runs out of water on is out).

Also, when I was afraid of swimming (I was sooo afraid of getting in the water!) I had fun throwing dive toys into the pool for the other people or being the judge of games like Poison Pool.

www.thalassamermaid.com
    Explore the S.E.A. with me!
    Facebook

I actually think that, in this case, necessity is the mother of invention. With mer-meetups and conventions being so very new, nobody's sure what to do at them exactly, and so it starts out with the basics (swimming, shopping, books, runway show, cosplay, etc). That's relatively little, really. Even ignoring really huge comic conventions, smaller ones still provide a number of possible ideas (bands and other live music, Costume Balls/Dances, etc were big at Faeriecon, and the Philadelphia Flower Show last year had a hawaiian theme with actual Hula dancers performing the ritual dance of Pele the Fire/Volcano Goddess and the creation of the Hawai'ian islands, in addition to some beautiful and artistic floral creations). Other ideas might be storytellers (and/or storytelling competitions), talks/panels of mer authors and folklorists, discussions of different sea animals and mythical traditions involving merfolk and sea gods/goddesses and sea monsters, and a treasure hunt with some sort of special prize for whomever locates the "sunken treasure", lessons on breath holding/control exercises and singing, conservation and recycling directions (like cutting the plastic rings around six packs of cans so they don't strangle fish, tips for conserving water), advice about setting up water gardens, etc.

So, in summary, Princess Kae-Leah's concerns might have helped the rest of us see areas we were neglecting that could make events more interesting for everyone involved, not just "dry mers" or swimMERS.

lol where is this video with cal's gf? I wanna see the scales!!

I think guided meditation, like Raina said, would be AWESOME, check out my thread on meditation.
    Follow me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kae-Le...53963584623799

Check out my writing on FictionPress, which has so far received more than 12,000 hits from 88 countries and territories on 6 continents!
    http://www.fictionpress.com/u/729633/Kae_Leah_W