Thread: World Oceans Day 2012- get involved

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod

World Oceans Day 2012- get involved

Just wanted people to know, World Oceans Day is this Friday. It's a lot like Earth Day but with special focus on the ocean.

So what exactly IS it?

This year marks the 20th Anniversary for the concept of World Oceans Day, first showcased on June 8, 1992 by the Government of Canada at the Earth Summit in Rio de Janeiro, coordinated by the Oceans Institute of Canada. Canada and other countries continue to hold celebrations on June 8 to mark World Oceans Day. As a result of a United Nations General Assembly resolution passed in December 2008, World Oceans Day is now officially recognized by the UN on June 8 each year. Activities and events celebrating our oceans and coasts are carried out each year around the world throughout the month of June.
    -MMA

World Ocean's day is celebrated all over the world through festivals and educational activities, beach clean ups, and other great get togethers.

The official website actually has events for all over the world listed so you can visit and see if something is happening in your town that you could be a part of.

This is a great way for you to do some volunteering as a mer! Last year (and this year) I volunteered at my local Museum to have different circle times with a lot of pre school groups, run some school aged groups, and speak to teens and adults as Raina about ocean ecological issues. What I talked about had a lot to do with local stuff, and I also spoke about sharks (this time last year in my province we were seeing an odd number of abnormal species for our area- hot topic) and gave out mermaid treasures.

You could do something like this at a local venue like museum, school, etc. Or perhaps consider hosting a beach cleanup! Or ditch cleanup (as what's in the ditches flows to the ocean and takes all that garbage with it!)

Here's World Ocean's Day Official FB page too check it out and get involved!

Here's some pics from last year:

Last edited by AniaR; 12-02-2012 at 12:10 PM.

Chesapeake Pod
    My mermaid friend, Mermaid Bubbles, and I are going to try and do a photoshoot, hand out flyers about ocean pollution as well as a beach clean up this friday in honor of world oceans day!
    Last edited by Mermaid Saphira; 06-04-2012 at 06:12 PM.
    "Silence is beautiful, not awkward. The human tendency to be afraid of something beautiful is awkward."

This is really cool Raina! Unfortunately on June 8th I'll be staring at the ocean for 24 hours instead of participating in any events to help it I've got an international flight to the other side of the world with a 4 hour layover in London. :| At least I get to bring my tail.
    "SeaSparkles" "Spindrift" "Enakai" "Cuddlefish" "Confused"
    Professionally performing as Enakai Fairyfish

Enakai Fairyfish: FB | IG

travel safe Spin!

Chesapeake Pod
    what do you mers think of our flyer?

World Oceans Day
    What is world oceans day?
    World Oceans Day is a day where we can all express our love for the ocean and what is a better way to express this everyday than by helping to avoid pollution in your local body of water?!
    How can we help stop pollution?
    Dispose of household cleaning products, paint cans, as well as any other toxic products properly
    Refrain from tossing litter in or around bodies of water
    Try to use more natural products and fertilizers
    Add more plants to your garden to prevent fertilizer from seeping into the water
    Practice conserving water by turning off the faucet when you are not using the water
    "Silence is beautiful, not awkward. The human tendency to be afraid of something beautiful is awkward."

On my mer-page I am encouraging people to pledge on June 8 to not eat any seafood and try their best to not use single-use plastics.
    Follow me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kae-Le...53963584623799

Check out my writing on FictionPress, which has so far received more than 12,000 hits from 88 countries and territories on 6 continents!
    http://www.fictionpress.com/u/729633/Kae_Leah_W

Senior Member Pod of Cali Nemefish's Avatar
    Awesome! what do i do, what do i do? ill figure something out ;D

Senior Member Pod of Cali Nemefish's Avatar

Exclamation WOrld Oceans Day <3

so hey just in case someone is not informed: June 8th is worlds Oceans Day. it is a day to celebrate the worlds Oceans by .trying to conserve or contribute towards helping our Oceans. you know like Earth Day but specifically for the Oceans.

what are some good ways to get involved *especially as a mer* to try and help the cause to save our Oceans on this day?

C'mon guys i want creative mer answers to try and bring awareness to this day ;D

Senior Member Chesapeake Pod Nyx's Avatar
    Add Nyx on Facebook
    Follow Nyx on Tumblr Visit Nyx's Youtube Channel
    Because I'm pretty much stuck at home because I can't drive, I'm going to make as much artwork as I possibly can, to put anywhere online and try to get people to help out tomorrow. \(o uo)/ It's not much, but I might as well do SOMETHING.
    I'm also going to avoid doing anything that harms the ocean.
    Hopefully next year I can volunteer ;u;

what else could I do???

aqua, i like it but you should make it more colorful. make it really catch peoples attention so theyll enjoy reading it

wanted to share some pics of what I did for world oceans day!

I must have talked to over 200 kids. We dont have pics of them all (privacy issues and all that, only the ones that gave permission!) I taught them about the food chain, and sharks, and plastic bags, and how to recycle and all sorts of fun stuff. I also had my friend Hector the Blue shark show up!

Putting our "listening ears" on

Making the mouth of a megamouth shark

talking about tiny shrimp and plankton

Hector assists

Talking about plastic bags looking like jellyfish!

Lining up for mermaid treasures

Talking about recycling

I also spent a small part of the time just hanging out inside or outside letting people come meet me and get pictures, ask questions, get sparkles, and take mermaid treasures

and then something totally awesome and amazing happened! My high school teacher for oceanography showed up with his high school kids and I talked to them. I havent seen him in almost 10 years, and when he taught me I won an award for oceanography and he really fuelled my passion. He was an amazing teacher. When I posted the photo on FB sooo many people commented about what an awesome teacher he is

also, a pic with one of my friends/assistant Steve

These pictures are really awesome! I'd love to see what you do in person some time!
    "SeaSparkles" "Spindrift" "Enakai" "Cuddlefish" "Confused"
    Professionally performing as Enakai Fairyfish

Enakai Fairyfish: FB | IG

Nice to see mers caring about the ocean

I am defiantly the most outgoing person I know (I don't mean to brag) because everyone else would never do this but I am going to sit somewhere busy as a mermaid and hand out flyers, probably at my church. =)