Thread: Original Designs for Cosplays?

Original Designs for Cosplays?

Haha yea I got to anime conventions a lot, I love them!
    I'm just a super nerd all around, really haha.
    Basically, I wanted to go to an anime convention costume contest but I wasn't really sure
    about the costume.
    You see, I wanted to do a costume from a PC game called Diablo 3, a Witchdoctor
    Here's how they look in the official artwork released before the game:
    Name:  Witch_Doctors.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  110.1 KB

And here are some ingame armor examples:
    Name:  Witchhunter.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  47.4 KB

Basically, Diablo has set characters but there are a number of different armors ingame. There's no
    real "main character" looks, so in a way, it's like World of Warcraft.

ANYHOW I had begun designing my character before the game came out and I REALLY didn't want
    to base my costume off the official art of the female witchdoctor.

1- It just doesn't look sinister enough. The mask was my main concern, it looks too fairy/dryad looking
    rather than scary and intimidating like the male's mask looks.
    2- (major reason) I'm not black xD Sorry if it's racist, but I think it would just look very off if I entered a
    costume contest with the exact same outfit on but I'm super duper white hahaha.

ANYHOW this is my costume redesign:
    Mask is unfinished but you get the idea:
    Name:  401695_3880688452780_1515022259_n.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  36.9 KB

Outfit is unfinished as well but this is generally the design idea:
    (I'm mostly going for lots and lots of accessories so right now it looks VERY plain)
    Name:  IMG_2385.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  154.5 KB

In the end I just wanted to know your guys' opinion on Original Designs. Do you think contest judges think
    it's courageous and look at it as a good thing? I mean, designing an outfit isn't exactly easy, right?
    Or do you think it's a bad thing? Do you think judges tend to look at it as being lazy or trying to twist the
    costume so you don't have to work on it so much?
    Do you think my redesign reflects the original idea of the character or do you think it strays too much?

Thanks guys!

Check out my Blog
    Shop on my Etsy
    Like my Facebook

Senior Member Chesapeake Pod Nyx's Avatar
    Add Nyx on Facebook
    Follow Nyx on Tumblr Visit Nyx's Youtube Channel
    Personally I think it all depends on the quality of your work.
    If it is an awesome, well done redesign then it works.
    If it's a rushed, not well planed redesign then it would sort of be like putting the design to shame.
    I can't really give you my 100% accurate opinion on how good it looks at the moment because chlorine has made me unable to see properly XD.
    But from what I CAN see it looks really good.
    I would suggest adding some darker tones into it and some of the teal looking marks.
    Good luck with the contest!

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Chesapeake Pod
    I believe it is a wonderful costume! U made this your self? Hats off to you ;D
    "Silence is beautiful, not awkward. The human tendency to be afraid of something beautiful is awkward."

Senior Member Chesapeake Pod Nyx's Avatar
    Add Nyx on Facebook
    Follow Nyx on Tumblr Visit Nyx's Youtube Channel
    I'm back with proper eye sight
    This looks awesome Kanti!

Haha thanks. I'm just not so sure anymore. It's getting close to the event so I'm at the stage
    where all my stuff starts looking horrible to me.
    Check out my Blog
    Shop on my Etsy
    Like my Facebook

I think it's looking awesome. :> I really like the skulls you added on. They are a really nice touch. One thing you might try is possivly distressing the red fabric so it doesn't look quite as clean. Otherwise, I like it a lot.

As for the other half of the conversation, I'm a huge fan of original cosplays. I think, as long as there is a reason for an original costume, they can be done fabulously. Were I judging, I would be very impressed.
    ---------------------------------
    Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/MermaidLorelei
    Etsy - http://www.etsy.com/shop/ShipwreckCouture
    Instagram - http://instagram.com/mermaid_lorelei

Email - mermaidoutfitters@gmail.com
    Mernetwork Moderator

Yea, I'm going to stain and distress all the fabric as well as tear up all the bottoms of them so they look
    ruined and old and stuff. Right now none of the fabric is cut and it's all just pinned in place so I can get
    an idea of what everything will look like.

I plan on making some skull necklaces but I'm not sure I'll add a whole lot more onto my costume.
    Name:  IMG_2392.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  122.9 KB

This is the male counterpart costume I'm making for my boyfriend. At the moment it's very plain and
    it's also extremely difficult for me to invision it being for a guy since it's on a girl mannequin -___-
    Either way, I'm not sure if I don't like it or not.. I'm not sure if it's because there's not enough jewelery
    and stuff on it or because of the colors/design.

Name:  IMG_2393.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  140.5 KB
    Check out my Blog
    Shop on my Etsy
    Like my Facebook

Hmm, I think the guy's costume looks great. :\
    Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/MermaidLorelei
    Etsy - http://www.etsy.com/shop/ShipwreckCouture
    Instagram - http://instagram.com/mermaid_lorelei

Email - mermaidoutfitters@gmail.com
    Mernetwork Moderator

Those look really awesom! I really want to make a little mermaid cosplay, but with an original design. Like, what would she look like if she were real kinda thing and do an underwater shoot.

Aww thanks guys. I really dunno I always get to a point where I think everything looks terrible xD

@Ilonka - Yea, Ariel was always very cartoony, redoing her design would be a fun idea~ maybe making her
    a little more detailed. I remember someone (I dunno her name) did a realistic redesign of Ariel and made her
    look more like a princess. She did it in one of those old-fashioned mertailor tails and it looked great!

Name:  6a2e5ebb5b0520cedbd88f3cc8e768ef-d34iogx.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  168.5 KB
    http://thereallittlemermaid.devianta...t=264#/d34iogx
    Check out my Blog
    Shop on my Etsy
    Like my Facebook

Yeah I was looking at those photos the other day! I like how they made that one, but I would make mine with a more detailed tail and a more youthful appearence. That one looks more like when Ariel were to become queen, very cool idea tho.y

Senior Member Rocky Mountain Pod Mermaid Dottie's Avatar
    Follow Mermaid Dottie On Twitter Add Mermaid Dottie on Facebook Add Mermaid Dottie on Google+
    Visit Mermaid Dottie's Youtube Channel
    Oh, That's Traci Hines. I love her. She's an actress, and a singer, but I kind of like to think of her as a professional cosplayer.
    Mermaid Dottie
    ATTENTION: Please use extreme caution when feeding the mermaid. Failure to do so could result in loss of digits.

@Kanti that really does look amazing, and you shouldnt feel that way, though everyone is always critical of themselves/ their art, which others see it entirely different, beautiful etc..

I always wanted to get into cosplay, for some reason i was more into the whole final fantasy X, X2 type games, I loved Yuna's Aeon- Valefor which was a bird type of creature.. in FFX there was also a fish like creature i believe it was called Anima.Ironcally theres quite a few sea creature types in some of the Final Fantasy Games..

Thanks to an old friend of mine who really got me into the game, He's big into Cosplay after hitting Anime Next and a whole bunch of Cons around the states..lol He keeps telling me to Cosplay Yuna.. I figure if im going to cosplay im going to do it my way.. After all Cosplay is all about dressing up and having fun

Final fantasy x is my favorite game of all time! I love rikku, this is me and my friend cosplaying from FFx-2.Name:  283375_105877546177656_681054_n.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  68.7 KB

Bahh those are so cute
    Final Fantasy characters seem so hard to dress up as sometimes, though.
    They just have so many little details
    Check out my Blog
    Shop on my Etsy
    Like my Facebook

That's why I love making them, because of the details. I really want to make more, and remake my old ones. Those were the only ones remade recently and I haven't been able to take them to a con yet